Shattered by Broken Dreams

One.

It’s December 28th, 2009 and it is the worst day in every Avenged Sevenfold fan’s life. James Owen Sullivan, better known as The Rev was taken away from Earth to join everyone up in his Little Piece of Heaven. But nothing is as it seems.

Finding out the news the next day, Sandi Sullivan couldn’t believe anything she was hearing. It was impossible for Jimmy to die; it just had to be a joke. It must be a sick joke.

Realising that the news was in fact true, Sandi was sat in her bedroom surrounded by posters, drawings, stickers, merchandise of her favorite band. Tears where rolling down her face, making patches of red form on her cheeks. She had been crying ever since she found out. Her favorite drummer couldn’t be gone.

I see you fading away from us.
I'll miss you very much.


Unexpectedly there was a loud knock at the door, a knock that sent shivers down Sandi’s spine. She glanced quickly at the clock on her computer, with teary eyes. “01:00” it read. She was awake watching Avenged Sevenfold videos and pouring her heart out with these tears. Tears of extreme sadness that she no longer shared a special bond with her favourite member; Jimmy.

Jimmy had always been her favourite member since she first started listening to the band. Not only because he could play the shit out of the drums, but because he was extremely funny and crazy. She loved everything about him, how he made her feel like she was a best friend without even knowing him.

There was another knock. Sandi frowned but had fear in her eyes, she didn’t want to go to the door at this hour but for some reason something pulled her to the door. Her feet seemed to move uncontrollably.

Her hand grasped tightly around the door handle as she turned it slowly. ‘creeeak.’ She left all the locks on so that she’d be able to talk to whoever was out there, without actually letting them in.

“Who is it?” Sandi asked, impatiently wanting a reply.

“Who do you think it is?” a high pitched voice replied.

Sandi froze. It couldn’t be, could it? It sounded terribly like Jimmy.

“I don’t know that’s why I asked.”

“Sandi Sullivan, right?” the voice said.

Sandi closed her eyes to think. "How can Jimmy be at my door?"

“Quite easy.”

“What?” she asked, shock making her voice quiver.

“I can read your mind. Are you gunna let me in the easy way, or do I have to walk through the fuckin’ wall, dude?” the voice sniggered.

Sandi unlocked the door, not thinking about the consequence this could have.

A tall, thin, male stepped into the dark hallway. He was wearing a long jacket with a hood, which covered his face. And he was soaked with the rain.

“Who are you?”

“I’m your brother,” he retorted quickly, giving Sandi no time to ask anything else. He unzipped his jacket and flung it to the floor. Then he looked Sandi right in the eye. It was Jimmy.

“My brother? What? No… You’re Jimmy, the best drummer in the world…” Sandi cried out, trying helplessly to attach herself onto Jimmy and never let him go.

Jimmy ignored the hugging, he was here to tell a story and he only had limited time. “Well… It all started a bit like this you see…” Jimmy began, stroking his beard thoughtfully.

Room with empty bottles, broken dreams,
and pride still running high, always on your side.


Jimmy had been an only child until the age of 6; he always wanted a little sister. Not a brother, because that would annoy him too much. He seen her face after she was born and instantly knew he had a special bond with her.

“I think we should call her Sandi Sullivan.” he looked to his mother with puppy dog eyes, pleading that they call her that.

His mother agreed, but she knew that Sandi wouldn’t be around long. They couldn’t cope, not with everything. They couldn’t afford another child to care for. Therefore, their only choice was putting this sweet smelling little bundle up for adoption.

“NO. NO. I DON’T WANT SANDI TO LEAVE. NOOO. PLEASE!” Jimmy grabbed onto his sister, trying helplessly to keep her in his arms; forever.

“She has to son. She’ll be better of with someone else.”

“NO. NO. SHE CAN LIVE WITH ME, IN MY TREEHOUSE!”

Sandi got sent off to the adoption centre, and was quickly grabbed up by a couple that were unable to have children. Jimmy was devastated; he’d never see this sister he longed for ever again. Or would he?

The thought of Sandi growing up not knowing he even existed hurt him. He wanted her to know him, and love him like a big brother. The great big brother that he would be.

As Jimmy got older; he started playing drums in bands. Never once forgetting his sister, but always wondering in the back of his mind if she looked like him. If she acted like him. And if she ever wanted to know him. Fair enough if she didn’t, he’d understand that.

“What’s wrong Jimmy?” Matt Sanders asked one day, seeing that there was something up with his friend.

“Nothing. I was just… Thinking.”

The band he was in Avenged Sevenfold, soon became world famous. He longed that one day, Sandi knew who Avenged were and would turn up on his door step claiming she was his little sister. He longed for that, but it never happened.


“And so here we are…” a sigh danced on Jimmy’s lip. All the while, Sandi stared at him. Not only confused, but in absolute disbelief.

In life, Jimmy was never allowed to have contact with Sandi. That was strictly forbidden. Only Sandi could choose, and clearly, she had no idea.

When Jimmy entered his Afterlife the day before, he was nothing but furious. “What the fuck is this?” he yelled, kicking and punching the clouds around him.

“Do you mind ruining my clouds, Jimmy?”

Jimmy looked around quickly, lowering an eyebrow at the man that faced him. “God?”

“Some call me that. You can me whatever you want.”

A thoughtful look appeared on Jimmy’s face. “I’ll call you LaLa.”

LaLa looked puzzled, “Whatever you want… Now Jimmy, I have a special thing for you.”

Jimmy’s eyes widened. “A DRUM KIT? A STALLION DUCK? A STEAK TACO? TELL ME LALA! TELL MEEE!”

LaLa walked back and forward, his hands tightly behind his back. “Even better. How would you like to go and visit a family member?”

Immediately Jimmy knew who he’d want to go see. Sandi, of course. He wasn’t sure whether going to see her would help him or her but he had to do it. “Do I only get to see fuckin’ one? Fuck, this Afterlife business is a rip off.”

Laughter escaped LaLa’s lungs. “Sorry but yes. Only one. And you only get an hour.”

“A FUCKIN’ HOUR? LaLa… I have a lot to tell, can’t you give me longer?” Jimmy pleaded. “I’ll kick your clouds again,” he added.

LaLa shook his head, making his long brown hair sway from side to side. He didn’t say anything; instead he just opened the gap that separated Heaven and Earth.

Jimmy looked down, the smile fading from his face.

Sandi was crying, tears running down her face endlessly. “Why Jimmy?” she said, looking into the sky. “Why is Jimmy gone?! Why the fuck did you leave Jimmy? Why did it have to be you?”

But I wanted more for you.
You can't go on this way.


“I’m not gone. I’m not,” Jimmy whispered, stroking the clouds around him. “I’m right here,” he repeated but it was too quiet for her to hear. “If only I could get closer…”

“You can. Just jump Jimmy, jump.”

Jimmy did what he was told, flying like an angel down to Earth. As he flew, he heard a voice call out to him. “Be back on time Jimmy, I mean it.”

Jimmy chuckled, “Of course!” but secretly he was thinking ‘I’m Jimmy Sullivan, I never come back on time.’

Sandi was still staring at this man that sat beside her, she couldn’t be his sister. She would have known. Jimmy peered back into her mind and read her thoughts, he was curious if she believed him or not. “It’s a long story Sandi, a story I don’t have time to tell.”

“What do you mean?” Sandi stood up, shaking her head. “You can’t leave me again.”

Stuck alone and scared.
Throw your life away
and now choking on your pride
may be the only way.

I don't want to leave you like this.
We all tried to save you but missed.


“LaLa said an hour… I’m sorry,” Jimmy replied, also standing up. His tall body hovered over the short frame of Sandi. “I wish I could stay longer, I really do, and I wish I could visit all the fans like this and tell them that I love them with all my heart. But I can’t, heap of pigeon shit it is,” he whispered softly as he pulled Sandi in for a hug.

She giggled at his funny comments, and wrapped her arms around Jimmy. It was as if he was really there. How is any of this possible? “You have to promise me something Sandi…” Jimmy began. Sandi nodded numerous times. “Don’t drink, don’t do drugs, and don’t get into bar fights. Don’t do anything I did that was wrong. And remember, as long as you have me in there,” he placed his hand on Sandi’s heart and a warm feeling bubbled through her body. “I’ll live forever with you.” he stroked her face, and suddenly was gone.

“JIMMY?!” Sandi screamed. “NO. JIMMY! COME BACK!” she burst out sobbing. Her head in her hands. She heard a slight whisper but it wasn’t clear enough. It was Jimmy, saying Goodbye. He was back up to his Heaven, where LaLa would be waiting impatiently.

I still feel the hope on your road.
Now come back to us like the days of the old.


A dream.

Sandi awoke, her face stuck to the keyboard. “What?” she murmured lifting her head. Her head immediately turned to a poster of Jimmy. “Jimmy,” she whispered, “I’ll miss you. You’ll forever be in my heart, Jimbo. I love you.” She wasn’t sure if anything the Jimmy in her dream had said, was true or not, but she felt at ease and calm knowing Jimmy would always be with her. Forever and always.

Help you see it through.
Fight this me and you.