Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Eleven

Nadine stared at her phone, waiting for Bob to call her. She was in Gerard's room, curled up on a chair beneath a quilt. He wanted to sleep in his own room, but he was having a lot of trouble betting up and down the stairs and refused to sleep alone. Nadine thought he was over-acting a bit too much, but she really didn't push the matter. She yawned slightly and rested her head on her knees, closing her eyes for just a moment. She was drifting off, when she heard a sharp buzzing noise, and Gerard's recorded voice began to fill the room. She picked her phone up off the floor and opened it. "Hello?" she asked nervously.

"Hey, Deeny... It's Bob,"

Nadine sighed quietly and left the room, watching as Gerard rolled over in his sleep. "So... what's going on?"

"We're coming home, But Delia's pretty tired, she's sleeping right now," he explained.

Nadine sniffed slightly, "Ummm, did you find out anything?" she was trying to be as nonchalant as possible.

Bob sighed softly, "Mikey did it... they did a DNA test from his hair and..." he trailed off into a cough.

Nadine swallowed hard, "How far away are you?"

'Maybe fifteen minutes," Bob answered, he seemed distracted.

Nadine ran her fingers through her hair, "Can you, umm, wake Delia up and put her on the phone?"

Bob breathed deeply, "Yeah sure, hold on... Del?"

Nadine heard their light conversation, before a weak voice answered the phone, "Hey Deeny,"

Nadine smiled, "Hey honey... you okay?"

Delia shrugged, "I've felt worse,"

Nadine let out a gentle laugh, "Remember when we were little... when Frank passed out on the couch and stuffed barbie shoes in his cheeks?"

Delia giggled slightly, "Yeah... why?"

"Because I just found a little purple shoe in the carpet..." Nadine explained, holding it up to her face.

Delia chuckled and turned to Bob, "I can see the house from here... I'll see you soon..."

Nadine pouted, "But... but... barbie shoes!" she pleaded, repressing her smile.

Delia rolled her eyes, "Nadine, your really surprise the sh..."

But she was cut off by Nadine's screams. Delia looked at Bob in a panic, "Nadine... NADINE!"

No answer. But she could hear Nadine cries for help and pleads for someone to wake up. Delia gasped lightly and hit the speaker button. Nadine picked up the phone, "Bob, come home... please come home..." she cried.

The line then went dead, and Bob pressed the gas pedal to the floor, speeding back to Paramour.

Bob practically crashed the car into the side of the house, throwing it into park and helping his sister into the house. Delia raced up the stairs and saw Nadine crouched over by Gerard's door, crying lightly. Delia gave a small gasp and raced over to her, "Deeny... what happened?"

"Gerard w-wasn't b-br-breathing..." she muttered, forcing the tears from her eyes with her fists.

Delia looked back at her brother, who simply shrugged. Nadine took in a deep breath. "He's okay now... I woke him up..."

Delia gulped, "He... stopped in his sleep?"

Nadine nodded, "When I was on the phone with you..."

Bob raised an eyebrow, "Why were you up here?"

Nadine felt panic build up in her chest, "Ummm... he wanted help getting up the steps..." she lied, stumbling over her words.

Bob narrowed his gaze, not fully convinced, but didn't say anything, "Has Mikey come back yet?"

Nadine sighed, "No... wherever he is... it's far away from here..."

Bob ran his fingers through his hair, "Shit... what the fuck have I done?"

Delia looked at her brother, "You didn't do anything... Mikey attacked me, you protected me..."

"This whole week has been so fucked up..." Nadine sighed, leaning against the wall.

Delia nodded and curled into her friend, "I'm sweepy... me so tiwerd..." she pouted in a baby voice.

Nadine turned to her, a slight smirk sneaking across her lips, "Is wittle Delia tiwred?"

She nodded and laid her head on Nadine's shoulder, "I lover you Deeny,"

"I lover you too, Del,"

Bob looked at the two girls, and down at his watch, "God, it's 7 in the morning... so much for sleeping tonight,"

Delia rolled her eyes, "Bob, there's no windows in your room... go to sleep,"

Bob nodded and wandered off downstairs, while the two girls snuck back into Gerard's room. He was sleeping again, his chest rising and falling in choppy beats. Nadine prodded his shoulder, but he didn't move. So she shook him slightly, and he opened his eyes, staring out her in a disoriented fashion. He yawned a little and blinked his eyes, "Delia... you're back?"

She smiled, "How are you feeling?"

He cocked an eyebrow, "I should be asking you that,"

Delia smiled, "I don't care... I feel pretty good,"

Gerard pondered that for a moment, "I'm okay... sore as fuck though,"

Nadine plopped down on the bed, "You scared me last night,"

Gerard gulped, "Why? What happened?"

Nadine stared a out the window, the darkness still cast over the house, "You, ummm... you stopped breathing last night," she explained.

Gerard sniffed and sat up a bit, "I stopped breathing... is that why you woke me up?"

Nadine nodded and brushed the matted hair from his eyes. She sighed lightly, "You have so much hair," she muttered, twirling the sable locks between her fingers.

"I can fix that," he smirked.

Delia faux-gasped, "No... your hair is the sex!"

Gerard laughed and kissed Nadine on the cheek. Delia stuck out her tongue in disgust and stared at the two of them, "Would you two not fuck like bunnies when I'm in here?"

Nadine screwed up her face in thought, "Ummm... no," she then smiled and placed a slobbery kiss on Gerard's lips.

He giggled lightly and wiped off her mouth. Nadine slapped her hands on the bed, "How dare you wipe my spittle away!"

Delia laughed and rolled her eyes, 'I'm going to my room, join me if you wish,"

Nadine and Gerard both shook their heads and Delia scoffed, crossing her arms, "Fine! I hate the both of you!"

"No you don't," Gerard snorted.

"Revenge is nigh Way, "She said in a demonic voice, "Revenge is nigh!"

With that she darted out of the room cackling. Nadine choked on a laugh, "Now I know why I lover her so much,"

Gerard smiled and brought his hand up to Nadine's cheek, brushing along her nose and eyebrows. He smiled and stared at her deeply, his green eyes dancing. The two of them leaned into one another, their lips intertwining and Nadine let out a gentle sigh of contentment. Gerard moved his hand to the back of her head, pressing it closer to his. The two of them slid down on the bed, curling up and kissing a bit harder. Nadine tongue brushed against Gerard's teeth, and he let out a quiet laugh. He allowed her tongue entrance for a brief moment, before the two of them pulled away. Nadine smiled out of pure joy and looked at Gerard, excepting him to say something deep and romantic. But what came out was...

"I'm hungry,"

Nadine scoffed, "You unromantic pig,"

Gerard gave her his best cheesy grin and the two of them stood up, "Food?" he asked expectantly.

Nadine threw her arms up, "Yes, food! Let's get some food!"

Gerard let out a high-pitched squeal and raced off down the steps, disappearing into the living room. Nadine rolled her eyes and followed behind him, gazing out the window as a golden sunrise began to form.