Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Sixteen

Gerard curled up in the bed, pulling the thin sheets closer to his nude form, trying to retain any heat he had left. He shivered wildly and could hear his teeth clicking at an unsteady rhythm. A doctor passed the room, but didn't even bother checking in on him. Gerard moaned out and the door was opened wider. He lifted his head to see someone he didn't recognize. He was an old, bitter looking man, with thick eye brows and thicker white hair. He didn't say much when he came in, he didn't even seem to notice just how badly Gerard was shivering. He gave a taut smile, "I need to ask you a few questions,"

Gerard nodded, "Can I get a quilt or something... please?" he whispered.

the man frowned and went over to a large, gray cabinet. He practically threw a few blankets at Gerard, and went back to his chair. Gerard spread the blankets across his body, smiling slightly at the sudden warmth. The man clicked his pen, "Now, I'm Dr. Jackson,"

Gerard raised an eyebrow, "But, what about Dr. Malder?" he asked nervously.

"She's busy,"

Gerard sighed and curled up a bit, wincing as one of the bandages snagged on the bed and jerked his arm forward. Dr. Jackson looked up at him, "Now, I understand you have been hospitalized before for related behavior,"

Gerard stared at him confused, "What?"

"Attempted suicide? That is what your here for, right?"

Gerard shook his head, "I, uhhh, punched a... window, and hurt my arms."

The doctor didn't even look half convinced, "I'm sure... then explain why there was tranquilizers in your blood stream,"

"I've been having trouble sleeping. Mik... a friend gave me some sleeping pills to help."

"But it says here in your chart you're sober... so you can't have any morphine, but you can take sedatives?"

Gerard narrowed his eyes, "Your taking everything out of context. Do you think I'd really want to do this to myself on purpose?"

The doctor smiled, "Maybe... i have your entire medical history here... some very interesting stuff here,"

Gerard swallowed his rage, "I'm not suicidal... go away,"

Dr. Jackson smirked, "Don't use that tone with me, I can get you in restraints for that,"

Gerard sighed in defeat and draped on arm across his stomach, "I want Dr. Malder, I'm not talking until I see her,"

Dr. Jackson chewed on his cheek, "Fine, but our session isn't over for another," he glanced down at his watch, "52 minutes,"

Gerard moaned and buried his head in the pillows, allowing him to assume whatever he wished, he knew it wasn't true. He wasn't sick. He knew that, Mikey knew that... he was just afraid to say what it was that caused his injuries. He didn't want to make himself seem suicidal AND crazy. After that treacherous hour, a young nurse came into the room. She smiled sweetly, "Mr. Way?"

Gerard opened one eye, "Umm, call me Gerard,"

She sighed softly, "I'm not allowed."

Gerard made an 'o' shape with his moth and scooted up a bit in the bed. The nurse approached him, carrying a sort of blue-ish box. He trembled a bit and she smiled again, "It's alright, I'm just changing your bandages,"

He pulled his arms from beneath the covers and presented them to her. He grinned as she began to snip off the tape and outer layers with a small pair of scissors. "What's your name?" he asked gently.

"Sara," she answered simply, throwing the old, used bandages in the trash can.

Gerard blushed, "That's a nice name,"

She looked up at him, then back down again. She ripped off some tape with her teeth, and bound his arm, "I'll be back later for the other one,"

She adjusted the straps of his mask and straightened out his sheets and pillows, before turning for the door, "Try to get some rest Mr. Way,"

Gerard nodded and sank into the pillows once again. He stared at the ceiling for who only knows how long, singing softly to himself. But suddenly, he felt this sharp twinge of fear and panic. He sat upright and held his chest, and he began to cry, he knew something was wrong, and he just knew someone was going to join him soon.
***************
Nadine blinked a few times and adjusted to the bright light flowing in from the window. "Ow, shit," she muttered, rubbing the back of her sore head.

She picked herself up and rested on her hands and knees, and surveyed the room around her. Delia was laying on the floor, still knocked out, next to her. Nadine also noticed that her beautiful painting was in shards on the floor, as if it had been ripped though by claws. She crawled over to Delia, and shook her awake. Delia moaned and rolled onto her back, "Oh, fuck... my head,"

Nadine nodded, 'She got me too, little bitch... SHE'S JUST LEALOUS!" Nadine shouted, shaking her fist at the ceiling.

Delia laughed, 'Yeah, the dead chick totally wants to bone your boyfriend,"

Nadine narrowed her gaze, "Bitch,"

Delia smiled proudly, and then noticed the shreds of paper in the corner, "Oh my fucking GOD! My Painting!"

Nadine couldn't help but to smirk as Delia cussed and ranted to the girl, calling her every foul name she could think of. Delia sighed and flopped down on the bed, "Wanna go see Gerard?"

Nadine shrugged and went downstairs. She could hear Ray and Frank playing in the ballroom, and Bob was stretched across the couch, listening to his iPod. Nadine began to descend the steps slowly, "BOB!" she yelled out.

He looked up at them, and pulled off his headphones, "Yeah?"

"Where's Mikey?"

Bob sat up a bit, "He left... said he had to get back to his hotel or something like that,"

"Oh, well me and Del want a ride to the hospi... Gerard,"

Bob nodded, "Let me find my shoes,"

Nadine smiled and thanked him, before going back to Delia, who was pulling on her shoes as well. "Ready to go?"

She nodded and the two of them walked slowly out of the room. They went down the stairs rather quickly, and met Bob by the front door, 'Just call me when you're ready to come home, okay?"

The two of them nodded and they piled into the car. They didn't say anything the entire trip, except for a simple, 'Be careful' as they pulled into the parking lot.

"Bye Bob," Delia muttered, closing the door.

Nadine led her to the room, but they were stopped by an older doctor, "I'm sorry, but visiting hours are over,"

Delia shook her head, "It's alright, we're family,"

"Umm, who are you here for?"

Nadine blinked, "Gerard Way... he came in yesterday,"

The doctor nodded, then sighed, "I'm sorry, but he's not allowed to have any visitors,"

"WHAT?" Delia shouted, stomping her foot.

The doctor nodded, "I have the paper right here,"

He pulled out a set of blue papers, all signed by a 'Dr. Keith Jackson'. Delia felt rage bubbling inside her, "What is this for?"

"He's considered a danger to himself and others, and Dr, Jackson requested he not have any visitors,"

Nadine shook her head, "No. No no no, you don't understand, we are all Gerard has, he needs us." she begged.

The doctor shook his head, "I'm sorry ladies, but I have the orders, maybe I can have them cleared but... Dr. Jackson is one of the most respected doctors in this city... I'm sorry,"

Delia felt tears in her eyes, "Can we at least let him know we're here, so he won't be so afraid?"

The doctor looked around, "Alright, but make it quick,"

Nadine stepped inside the room, Gerard didn't look much different than the last time she saw him, "Gee?"

His eyes fluttered open, "Nadine... Delia," he whispered happily.

Nadine sighed, he looked ill, he sounded so weak, "Gee, we just came to say hello... we can't stay,"

Gerard blinked, "Why not?"

"Dr. Jackson said you can't have any visitors," she explained quietly.

Gerard groaned and rolled over, tears forming in his eyes, "I'm so sorry, Gee,"

He pushed them away and pulled the covers closer to his body, "Just go... I don't want you to get in trouble,"

Nadine kissed his hand, "We'll get you out of here, it's going to be okay,"

Gerard shook his head, "No, nothing is just okay anymore,"