Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Seventeen

Nadine sat down in a chair in the hallway, huffing loudly and Delia gave her an awkward look. "How can they just kick us out? What's Gerard supposed to do if he needs somebody!" Nadine asked frantically.

Delia shrugged, "Don't worry about it so much hun, let's just call Bob and go back home,"

Nadine sighed, it was all they really could do. Nadine went back over to Gerard's door, peering through the small window as a young nurse changed the bandages on his stomach. She felt a timid hand brush against her shoulder, "Deeny?"

Nadine turned to face Delia, a tear rolling down her cheek, "This isn't fair,"

Delia sniffed and nodded, "I know but... what can we do?"

Nadine shrugged hopelessly and the despondent pair wandered the hallways until Bob called back. They watched as sickly mothers still tended and cared for their children. Young couples dripping with joy at the sight of their baby. Older couples, still so much in love and so devoted to the other one. Nadine held back tears as a group of girls around their age crowded around a friend, giving him hugs and acting like nothing had ever happened. She noticed a taller girl, who looked about 21, was wearing a My Chemical Romance shirt. Nadine sighed and pushed past them, fighting every urge in her to break down and cry. The girl watched as Nadine and Delia bustled past, keeping their heads down. "Crissy?" a voice asked.

The girl turned back to her group as Delia and Nadine left through the clear doors. Bob was waiting in the parking lot, flicking the ashes off his cigarette. He gave them a taut smile, "Hey girls,"

Nadine didn't even acknowledge him, she just crawled into the backseat and rested her head on the window, "I'm sorry," Bob muttered, and the drove home in a heavy silence.

********
"My juice smells like cat piss," Delia commented, holding the cup under her nose.

Nadine screwed up her face in confusion and took the cup, smelling it well, "What the- ?"

Delia shrugged, "It's like, this guava pineapple shit,"

Nadine laughed, some of the pink juice sloshing out of the cup and onto the wood floor, "Ray isn't allowed to shop for food anymore,"

Delia nodded in agreement, and then took a mouthful into her mouth. She swished it around for a minute, then swallowed, 'Hmm, it doesn't taste bad..."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, "COME IN FUCKFACE!" Nadine shouted.

Frank head appeared through a small crack in the door, "You were you the last one in the bathroom today?"

Nadine furrowed her brows, and nodded slowly. Frank smiled, "Oh, good, you can clean it then!"

Nadine sat upright, "What?"

He handed her a bright orange bucket and a roll of paper towels, "i wanna see my pretty face in the tiles please," he said smugly, before shutting the door and walking down the stairs. Nadine held up the bucket, "Goddammit... why did I ever agree to that rule?"

Delia burst out laughing. so Nadine sprayed her with toilet cleaner. Delia blinked, "I could die now you know,"

Nadine shrugged with a smile, and the girls traveled into the large bathroom. They spilt it in half and each worked on their side, meeting up as they scrubbed the floor. Nadine soon found her self standing over the toilet, looking distraught. Delia watched her her, "Something wrong hun?"

"I dropped the sponge in the toilet,"

Delia giggled, 'It's clean Deeny, just fish it out,"

Nadine groaned and suck her hand in the toilet bowl, but pulled it out, screaming. Delia looked up in a panic, "What? What's wrong?"

"The water is freezing" she exclaimed.

Delia narrowed her eyes, "What did you expect?"

Nadine rolled her eyes, "I don't know, warm water!"

Delia rolled up her sleeve, and ran her fingers over the surface over the water, "See, it's not so bad,"

Nadine sighed softly and Delia then smirked. She grabbed a handful of water and splashed Nadine's face. Nadine did the same once Delia's back was turned. The two began an all-out-war, using whatever they could find to fight one another. Soon, after about 20 minutes, the bathroom was even messier than before. Nadine's eyes widened and she slumped down, "Oh god dammit!" she yelled to no one.

Delia laughed slightly and a they heard footsteps rushing by the door. Delia poked her head out, and saw Ray and Frank throwing things rather frantically into a bag. Delia stared at them, "What are you two doing?"

Ray lifted his eyes, "Mikey just called, something is wrong with Gerard..."

Delia's eyes grew wide, "What? We were just there!"

Ray nodded slowly, "Mikey said he was being kept in isolation for something,"

Delia shook her head, "He's fine, some fuck of a doctor said he was too "mentally unstable" for visitors,"

Ray lowered his gaze, "There's more,"

Delia blinked, "M-more?"

"Mikey also said, while he was talking to a nurse, he heard noises coming from Gerard's room... he attacked the doctor," Ray explained.

Delia gasped, "He deserved it! Gerard was so upset!"

Ray sighed, "I know but, they moved Gee to a pysch hospital across town,"

Delia smacked her palm against her forehead and heard a faint giggling noise. Ray's eyes shot up towards the ceiling and he screamed out, "STOP LAUGHING BITCH!"

Delia put her hand on Ray's shoulder, "So, what are you and Frank doing with that suitcase?"

Ray closed his eyes, "Gee needed some clothes, he has to stay there for for a week... so they can determine if he's sane or not,"

Delia suppressed her rage, "WHAT?"

Nadine walked up behind Delia, "What's going on?"

Delia turned to her, "Umm, it's nothing, I'll tell you later,"

Nadine nodded and when Delia turned around, Ray was gone and she saw him turn down the hallway. "Hey Delia, can you and Nadine come downstairs?"

They girls gave each other a look and walked out of the bathroom, picking up the cleaning supplies as they did so. Bob, Frank and Brian were all waiting at the bottom of the stairs, serious looks on their faces. Nadine took in a deep breath, "What's going on?"

Bob looked up at the girls, "we've been talking, and we don't really think you guys should stay here. With Gerard in the hospital, and Delia getting... hurt. We just don't think this is the best place for you guys,"

"What? No! You can't send us home!" Nadine begged, wrapping her arms around her brother.

"I'm sorry..." he mumbled.

Delia looked at her brother, shock etched on her face, "But, Bob... I lived with you! I don't have anywhere to stay!"

Frank looked up, "You're staying with Nadine... in my room," he explained meekly.

Brian handed Bob a pair of plane tickets and he sighed, "Go get your stuff together, the plane leaves in the morning,"

Nadine stomped her foot into the ground, "This isn't fair! I can't leave Gerard! Not now, not like this!"

Frank cocked his head to the side, "What do you mean?"

Nadine cried out, in sorrow and frustration and stormed up the stairs. Delia glared at them, "You can't make us get on that plane,"

And with that, she followed after the only person she felt she had left to turn to.