Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Eighteen

Bob awoke to the sounds of a car driving away. He sat up a bit a screwed his ears into listening. He could hear Ray's distinct snores from down the hall, and Frank coughing in his sleep. But no Nadine, or Delia. Bob threw the covers from his bed and ran out into the hallway, where he saw a piece of white notebook paper taped to Nadine's door. He approached it, and saw Nadine's neat, loopy script

(AN: I know this is cheesy, stfu)
Our Famous Last Words
Now we know, that you won't let us stay
But where's you heart?
Where's you heart?
And we know, there's nothing else to say
To change this part,
we're falling apart

The bright lights cast a shadow
He can't even speak
Its so hard understanding
He's dying, incomplete
I love that's so demanding
I can't even say

WE ARE NOT AFRAID
We'll keep on going
We never wanted to let you live alone
Can you blame us?
Can we be forgiven?
Nothing you say will send us home

Bob smiled at his sister's messy script, and kept reading, now intrigued.

Can you see? Or are those lights are far too bright?
I standing on the other side
Of a broken, bloody mirror
I feel so weak
It's so hard comprehending, It's incomplete
Their love is so demanding
It scares me.

WE ARE NOT AFRAID
We'll keep on going
We never wanted to let you live alone
Can you blame us?
Can we be forgiven?
Nothing you say will send us home

... We saw him lying on the floor
And we knew that you would never say
To stay awake and unafraid
"Is he asleep, or dead?"

If you want you find us, we both have our phones
We got a ride to "Golden Hills Psychiatric Hospital"
You know where we'll be staying.
Love- Nadine and Delia


Bob let out a low sigh, and slumped back down against the wall. He then went over to the window and glanced outside, the car was still there, they must have gotten a cab. A smile tugged at his lips, he would call them later, they needed time with Gerard. Everyone did.

*******************

Nadine rubbed Gerard's face softly, singing some random tune she'd strung together. Delia was on the opposite side of the room, rooting through files, reading aloud random information from Gerard's medical history. "Hey, it says here he broke his arm when he was 19... I don't remember that,"

"I do, I was the one who insisted he got a pink cast... Frank still never lets him live that one down," Nadine smiled.

"Oh! I do remember that... how did he break it anyway?"

"Something stupid, fell off the roof or something..." she trailed off when Gerard let out a gentle moan.

"Gee?"

He didn't answer, instead, a bit of drool rolled out of his mouth, and Nadine wiped it away. She turned to face Delia, who was flipping through blue papers and clicking her tongue, "What the fuck are these people thinking?"

Nadine blinked, "What do you mean?"

"They have Gerard on Palendol," Delia huffed, setting the folder down on a small tray.

Nadine raised an eyebrow, "Palendol?"

Delia sat down in a torn, beige chair, "Palendol is a kind of sedative... its extremely strong, almost like a muscle relaxant,"

Nadine gasped, "But, but... they know about Gerard's drug problems right?"

Delia sighed and rubbed the sheets between her fingers, "I honestly don't think they even care,"

Nadine sniffled and held onto Gerard's hand, "We'll get you out of here, sweetie,"

She felt a tug on her hand, and stared at Gerard, "I'm... sorry..." he wheezed out, fat crocodile tears rolling down his face.

Nadine wiped them away, feeling her own tears, "Shhh, don't talk,"

"I'm sorry," he whined, curling into Nadine's hand, crying freely.

"Don't be," she sobbed, kissing his hair, "Don't ever be sorry,"

"Hold me," Gerard gasped out, his voice so weak and tiny Nadine almost missed it.

She pulled back the sheets and Delia helped adjust his arm and chest so they both fit comfortably in the minute bed. Nadine kissed Gerard's lips, and for a second, could feel him kissing back, before he sank into sleep. Nadine looked up at Delia and pulled Gerard closer, "I'm so scared, Del,"

Delia only nodded and sank into her chair, sighing as Nadine began to cry again. Not only for Gerard, but for Delia and Frank, and the rest of the band, but mostly for herself. Never in her life had she felt so alone.
******************
"Deeny, wake up," Delia whispered.

Nadine yawned a stretched a bit, smiling as she rubbed against Gerard. He stirred and curled up a bit, burying his head in the pillow. She looked up at Delia, "Why did you wake me up?"

She gulped slightly, "Ummm, the doctor is coming,"

Nadine gasped and quickly crawled out of bed, placing the sheets and covering up where she had been laying. The door opened slowly, and Dr. Jackson stepped into the room, a sneer on his lips. Delia blinked and he adjusted his glasses, "He's sleeping, I see,"

Nadine nodded gently, rubbing a bandage, "He's still pretty tired... I made him go to sleep,"

Dr. Jackson nodded sarcastically, "I'm sure... now why don't you little ladies leave the room. We need to run some tests on your friend here."

Delia scoffed, "We're not five... and what are you doing to him anyways?"

Dr. Jackson sighed, "I don't want to ask twice, please leave the room,"

"NO!" Nadine yelled, shooting up from her seat.

Gerard was awoken by all the noise, and watched silently as Nadine bickered with the doctor. "We can stay, we have to stay in here, we're 'unaccompanied minors' which technically makes Gerard here our guardian!" Delia roared, a sense of smugness in her voice.

Dr. Jackson sighed in defeat, "Then just stay out of my way, then,"

He then produced a large, empty syringe from his coat pocket. Gerard trembled and managed to yelp out, "NO!" before hiding beneath the covers.

He sneered, "Oh, is you afraid of needles... get over it kid, you're 29,"

Beads of sweat began to form on Gerard's forehead as the needle came closer to his skin, "Stop, no!" he slurred, pulling his arms into his chest.

Delia stood up, "STOP IT! You're scaring him!"

She raced over to the bed and shielded his body with her own. The doctor narrowed his gaze, "Move, I need to get his blood,"

Delia shook her head, "Find another way... or wait until he falls asleep,"

Nadine walked over to the bed, her fists clenched at her sides, "Leave him alone," she demanded.

Dr. Jackson smirked and pushed Delia out of his way, and then taking a hold of Gerard's arm. He had the needle pressed into the crook of Gerard's elbow, we suddenly Nadine punched him square in the jaw. The doctor wobbled for a moment before toppling over a bedside table and crashing to the wall. Delia pulled herself upright and pulled the needle from Gerard, pressing her finger against a small dot a of blood that was forming where the needle had been. The doctor looked up at the both of them with shock on his face, "You're whole damn family is nuts!" he exclaimed.

Nadine smirked, "Yeah, and? Whatchya gonna do about it?"

The doctor picked himself up and left the room, muttering angrily and rubbing his sore chin. Gerard opened his eyes, "Thanks guys," he whispered, holding his arm.

Nadine smiled, "Of course,"

Delia sank down into a chair, "You think we could get him out of here?"

Nadine looked up, her eyes glowing, "I'll change his clothes while you find a wheelchair,"

Delia held her hand, allowing Nadine to shake it. The two smiled and set off to their plan.