Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Twenty-One

Nadine whipped around, and saw Gerard's pale form slipping off the couch, his hand outstretched. She stood there, frozen as he crashed to the floor, crying out her name and curling up into a little ball. Ray stepped over his body and pushed the couch back into the book case, allowing for a large amount of people to lay down, "We better get some sleep, its starting to get late,"

Delia blinked, "We have no pillows, no blankets... nothing!"

Ray rolled his eyes and handed her a flashlights, "Go get some,"

Delia crossed her arms, "Not unless someone helps me,"

Frank and Bob reluctantly followed, groaning in distaste. Nadine knelt down by Gerard and stroked his face softly, "Does anything hurt?"

Gerard simply nodded and Nadine sat back on her palms, balancing delicately and retrieved her cell phone out of her pocket. She dialed Delia's number, and giggled a bit when she heard her annoyed voice, "What?"

"Can you bring Gerard's things from his room, he needs them," she explained quietly.

Delia huffed and hung up the phone, causing Nadine to giggle softly. Gerard sighed and scooted up a bit, curling into her, "What time is it?"

"Ten... I think... maybe," she wandered off, staring at the fireplace.

Gerard shrugged and pulled the blanket over his body, "Lay down, you look tired,"

She smiled gently, "Well, I have had a long day,"

Gerard smiled and ran his hand over her cheek bone, "I'm feeling better, thanks to you,"

"Delia too, " she muttered.

Gerard blinked, "Oh yeah... her too,"

The door opened and Bob and Frank came in first, their faces half hidden behind mounds of bed dressings. Delia was walking slowly behind them, her hair swept over her face. Gerard took one look at her and began to panic, "Its her! Tara! she's back!"

Delia looked up, confused at Gerard's rantings. he kept pointing and screaming, backing himself into the wall, tears rolling down his face. then he started to shake, slightly at first, but soon they were powerful tremors that tossed his weak frame. Mikey dashed over to him and wrapped his arms around him, whispering words of comfort. He then looked up at Delia and Nadine, "You two, look what you've done! He's needed to stay in that hospital, he's still sick!"

"But but, we have he medicine and they were treating him badly..."

Mikey cut Delia off, "I don't care, you shoulda told me, told another doctor. Gerard is very ill and he needs help, and he isn't going to find it with two stupid teenagers in a house with no power!" he roared.

Gerard whimpered softly and curled into his brother's chest. Nadine took the pack from Delia hands and fished out a pill bottle. He pour a purple pill and two small red ones intro her palm, "Gee?" she said softly.

He turned to her and noticed the pills in her hand, "are those mine?"

She nodded simply, "It'll make you feel better,"

Gerard nodded and took them without protest, curling back into Mikey and drifting off into a medicated slumber. Mikey sighed and ran his fingers through Gerard's short hair. Delia slumped down on the floor, laying her head on Nadine's shoulder, "Why does Mikey hate me?" she asked quietly.

Nadine sighed, "He doesn't hate you, he's scared, we all are. "

Delia nodded slowly and felt as her eyes were tugged closed and sleep overcame her. Delia was jerked awake as the fire snapped loudly, jostling her from sleep. She pulled herself upright and stared around the dimly lit room, the bodies of several sleeping men, and of course Nadine, scattered across the large library floor. But she noticed a figure hunched over by the fire, his pale hand draped carelessly over a pile of logs. Delia blinked and pulled the quilt over her shoulders, shivering slightly, "Ray?" she asked gently.

He turned to look at her, her dark eyes shining in the firelight, "Delia," he yawned, "why are you awake?"

She shrugged and scooted closer to him, laying her head on his broad shoulder, "I hope the power comes back soon,"

Ray nodded, "I hope so too... I wonder what we'll do tomorrow?"

Delia shook her had lightly and then glanced over at the window, smiling, "It's snowing," she whispered.

Ray lifted tired eyes to see small, white flakes peppering the window sills and floating to the ground. Delia smiled and went back to fire, watching as greying embers glowed, "Should you add another log?"

"Maybe... when it starts to get colder I will... we wouldn't want to waste all of the firewood," Ray sighed.

"We can look for some tomorrow," Delia muttered, poking at the fire with a stick.

Ray nodded and wrapped his jacket around his thin body, "Its always freezing in this house,"

Delia nodded and then let out a gentle sigh, "I hope Gerard gets better... I'd feel so guilty if he got hurt again because of us,"

"Oh, honey," Ray cooed, wrapping his arms around Delia, pulling her into his chest, "He'll be okay... Mikey over reacts to everything,"

Delia let out a small giggle and glanced over at Mikey, who was curled into his brother with a gentle moan. Gerard rolled over , his arm falling across Nadine and smacking her face. Her eyes opened and she glared at a giggling Ray and Delia. Nadine lifted her arm and flipped them off, before moving Gerard's arm and crawling over to them, "What are you guys doing?"

"Watching the snow," Delia sighed happily, pointing to the now snow crusted window.

Nadine gave an excited squeal and hugged Delia, "SNOW!" she whispered loudly.

Delia smiled and ran her fingers through her hair, watching Gerard squirm around in his sleep, giving out these throaty moans and groping around for Nadine. She crawled over to him and nestled in between his arms, smiling as he settled down. She kissed his cheek and ran her hands along the curve of his spine, singing quietly. Ray grinned, "Those two have gotten close lately..." he muttered.

Delia felt a small twinge of panic, "Uhhh, yeah... Nadine's just worried about him,"

Ray nodded in agreement and turned back to the fire, throwing on a new log onto the fire. It popped loudly and and a small plume of smoke poured from the fireplace. Delia inhaled deeply and laid down on the floor. as her eyes fluttered closed again, she could make out the shape of Tara hovering over her. "Wakey wakey!" Tara shrieked.

Delia closed her eyes, "Go away, Tara.. we're not afraid anymore,"

Tara slunk back, "Wh-what?"

Delia sat up, staring around at the bored faces, "You aren't scary, whats the worst you could possibly do to us at this point? Besides, you aren't real."

Tara gasped, and she began to fade, "No, no!"

"Oh yes!" Delia hissed, standing upright.

Tara buried her head, weeping, but then brought it upright, smirking widely. Delia felt a twinge of fear, and Tara shone a bit brighter. "I'm not real?" she asked, wrapping her hand around Delia's throat, squeezing tightly.

Everyone watched, paralyzed in horror and becoming blinded as Tara shone brighter and brighter. Soon the room was drenched in a blinding white light, everyone shielding their eyes as best they could. Delia could feel her airway closing, her life being drawn away, when she landed on the floor in with a thump. Gerard whimpered and tried to drag himself away as Tara floated over to him, "You guys don't even know the true meaning of fear!" she cackled, shaking Gerard and tossing him to the floor like a broken toy.

Frank began to shake and Tara shimmered above him, wrapping her hands around his head, filling his mind with horrible images. Tara laughed as tears leaked from his eyes, "What you fail to understand, is that fear is the most abundant thing on earth. And the greatest fear of all... is loss."

The white light returned and she slowly disapparated, leaving everyone in shock. Delia rubbed her sore head and glanced over at the fire place, feeling the warm flames lick her skin. She blinked a few times, and then realized, Ray was gone.