Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Twenty-Two

Delia blinked again, maybe she was seeing things... maybe it was her sudden lack of oxygen. She looked around the room in a panic, "Guys! Where the fuck is Ray?"

Bob looked up and stared around the room, "He's not with you?"

"NO!" Delia shouted.

"Oh fuck me," Bob muttered, standing up and bolting out of the room.

Delia followed behind, carrying a flashlight. She stopped when she saw her brother next to the pool, he hands clasped to his mouth, hot tears rolling down his cheeks. Delia burst outside and looked over at the pool, an icy layer covering the top save for an irregular hole in the middle. Delia, without even thinking, pulled off her shoes and dove down into the water, the stinging pain causing her nerves to cry out. She opened her eyes and made out Ray's blurry figure, a trail of bubbles flowing from the corner of his mouth. She kicked harder, her muscles tight and sluggish from the frigid water. Finally, she reached out and Pulled Ray up by his collar, his body weight almost triple fro the clothing and crushing, freezing water. She kicked harder, following the thin light shining from above. She pushed her head through the thin ice gasping wildly for air. She brought Ray up as well, clearing a path with her fists. When she finally looked at the edge of the pool, everyone was there, holding out there hands and offering support. Delia felt the cold wind slap against her face and she dragged herself to the edge, hoisting Ray to the surface. She then grabbed onto Gerard's bandaged arm and pulled herself out of the thick ice and onto dry land, gasping out and shivering madly. She felt warm blankets being wrapped around her, and she could faintly make out soft lights in the distance, drawing closer. "It's okay Del, you did good honey,"

She felt strong arms lift her and more blankets being wrapped around her, "You did good honey,"

Then it all faded away.
******************
Delia awoke to a bright yellow light in her eyes, and felt the pressure of several blankets covering her. Her eyes flickered open and looked over, watching as Gerard rolled back and forth across the room in a wheelchair, making these odd noises in the back of his throat. Delia coughed lightly and he looked up, smiling. "Finally! One of you woke up!"

Delia blinked, "Huh?"

She scooted up a bit, and gasped when she saw a tube coming out of her wrist. Gerard wheeled himself over to the bed and grinned, laying his head down on the mattress, "You scared us, the both of you did."

Delia blinked, "What happened, after I came out of the water?"

Gerard sniffed a little, "Bob picked you up and you passed out but Ray... he stopped breathing,'

Delia's eyes grew, "When?"

"Not to long after we got here... they said he was so cold, his body kinda shut down... he's fine now, just sleeping," Gerard explained.

Delia blinked, "Then why am I here?"

"You both have, well had, hypothermia. You're temperature was only like, 68ยบ when they brought you in."

Delia nodded and pulled a pink blanket up to her chin, "Where are the other guys?"

"They went to get some food, but they aren't allowed in anyways," he sighed.

"So why are you in here?" she asked confusedly.

Gerard lifted up his arms and smiled smugly, revealing new white bandages and a strange bar running across his forearm, "I needed to have my stitches changed, and they re-wired the plate in my wrist. And the doctors here aren't sadistic, so I wasn't even nervous," he finished proudly.

Delia nodded slowly, and then looked down, "So, why are you in a wheelchair?"

"Bed was uncomfy," he replied simply, pointing to it, "I get discharged in two hours anyways,"

Delia frowned, 'How long have I been asleep?"

Gerard shifted nervously, "A little under 12 hours,"

Delia closed her eyes and breathed in nervously, sinking into the pillows.

Gerard put his hand on hers, "Don't feel bad honey, they thought it was going to take a lot longer, I'm surprised your awake,"

Delia choked back a few tears and slipped down in the bed, 'I'm gonna go back to sleep," she muttered, pulling away from Gerard's hand.

Gerard sighed and rubbed her leg slowly as she drifted away. He pulled his legs up and curled them into his chest, crying softly. Delia rolled onto her side and her breathing evened out. Gerard went back to rolling around the room, attempting various stunts, like wheelies, with successive failure. Finally he gave up and as he was returning to the bed, a nurse walked through the door. Gerard smiled gingerly and pulled himself back into the bed, sitting cross-legged as she entered, "Have either of them woken up?"

Gerard nodded and pointed to Delia, "She did a second ago, but she fell back asleep," he explained quietly, keeping his eyes down.

The nurse smiled and shuffled out of the room. Gerard leaned closer and listened as muffled voices began to argue. The nurse re-entered the room, "Mr. Way?"

Gerard sat upright, "Umm, yes?"

"Are you familiar with a Dr. Jackson?"

Gerard sniffled a little, "Yeah... why?"

The nurse sighed at the obvious terror on Gerard's face, "We just received a fax from him that you're we're one of his patients at Golden Hills." she explained quietly.

Gerard whined and hid his face, "You don't understand, he was torturing me. Putting me on these drugs..." Gerard trailed off and coughed on his tears.

The nurse sat down by the bed, "He said you we're a threat,"

"DO I LOOK LIKE A THREAT!" he screamed, hot tears falling down his face.

"He did things to me to make me react in a way that would benefit him. He'd put needles in me just so I would scream, he'd pump me full of drugs so I seemed insane. You have to believe me." Gerard begged.

The nurse sighed, "We'll talk later, Mr. Way. Try and get some sleep before your discharged."

Gerard nodded and wiped the remaining tears away, "Okay,"

The nurse smiled sweetly and left the room. Gerard laid down on the tiny bed, images of the other hospital rushing back to him. He whimpered and hid himself under the covers, crying freely and hoping someone would come to him. He felt hands touching him, rubbing him, voices telling him it would be okay. Gerard trembled and curled up, "N-NO!" he shouted, swatting the hands away.

He opened blurry eyes to see Mikey looming over him, a scared look on his face, "Gee, what's wrong?"

"I hate hospitals, get me outta here," he pleaded.

"You can leave in one hour, and I'll stay with you until then, kay?" Mikey comforted.

Gerard smiled and wrapped his arms around his brother, "Dr. Jackson... he's looking for me,"

Mikey blinked, "Is he the one Delia and Nadine were talking about?"

Gerard nodded slowly, "He's trying to pin something on me, I know it. I feel like, he knows something we don't. (AN: MAJOR PLOT TWIST HINT)"

Mikey rolled his eyes, "You're being paranoid... you want some coffee?"

Gerard shrugged, "Let's just wait until I leave."

"Can't you just sign yourself out?" Mikey asked.

Gerard's eyes lit up, "I can!"

Mikey scoffed and watched as Gerard climbed out of the bed and marched out of the bed. Mikey followed closely behind, just to make sure he didn't get himself into anymore trouble.