Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Twenty-Four

Nadine blinked as Tara slowly dissolved, leaving no trace of her existence. Gerard pulled Nadine a bit closer and sighed, "She's gone honey," he whispered.

Nadine nodded sheepishly and curled into him. Gerard rubbed her arms and back slowly, feeling her drift off into sleep, even though it was only two. He stomach lurched painfully, and he looked up at Mikey, "Do we have anything edible in the house?"

Mikey shook his head with a sigh, "We had to throw it all out this morning."

Gerard rubbed his stomach, "Is anything open?"

Mikey shook it again, 'No, and the ones that are won't deliver."

"Fuck," Gerard muttered, pressing his head into the back of the couch, watching as the room spun.

"Mikey?" he asked loudly, "Is the room all, off kilter to you?"

He blinked for a second, then nodded slowly, "This whole house is, like the walls are breathing or something."

Gerard sniffed, "I know, it's so fucked up."

Mikey nodded and groaned out of hunger, "Jesus Christ, i feel like I'm dying!"

His brother raised an eyebrow, "When was the last time you ate?"

"Last night, before I drove down here," he sighed.

"I haven't eaten since... lunch yesterday," Gerard moaned.

Nadine stirred in her sleep and Gerard slid off the couch. "Fuck I need food,"

frank laughed from behind his magazine, "The only thing that would be open is either across town where there is power, or near the beach, where it's expensive as hell."

"We're rock stars," Gerard shouted cheekily, "We don't care about money!"

Frank rolled his eyes, "Well , where ever you go, get me something,"

"A slab of meat?" Mikey asked childishly.

"Stop acting retarded," Frank sighed, burying his head back into the article.

Mikey giggled and jumped into the air, "Nope!"

Frank rolled his eyes, "Get something for the other guys too, I'm sure they'll be starving,"

Gerard smirked, "You think we'd forget about them?"

"Gee, you forget everything," Frank chortled.

"Shut up, midget," he shot back, the smirk growing wider.

Frank crossed his arms and huffed loudly, "Fuck... you..."

"If you want it baby," he winked, grabbing the car keys and tossing them to an anxious looking Mikey.

"We'll be back in... an hour, maybe? down die while we're gone," Gerard added with a giggle.

"Try not to," frank sighed as they left the room.

Gerard inhaled deeply as the stepped outside, the sharp winter air filling his lungs. Mikey walked over to the car, while Gerard took the longer route through one of the gardens, looking at all the broken, frozen plants, the leaves and petals perfectly preserved under the clear ice. Mikey pulled the car around and Gerard crawled into the passenger seat, instantly turning on thee radio. To their surprise, the last few note of 'Helena' drifted through the tiny cabin, making Mikey smile, "That was always my favorite song,"

Gerard nodded, "I think it's everyone's favorite,"

Mikey narrowed his gaze, and changed the subject, "Would you be mad if I got rid of my glasses?"

"No, why? Wanna get contacts?" Gerard asked, slightly confused.

"No... I wanted to get that laser eye surgery," he explained softly.

Gerard furrowed his brow, "Seriously?"

"Yeah! I'm sick of being the 'skinny little emo kid'!" he shouted.

Gerard laughed, "But you get all the girls! Chicks dig glasses,"

"Yeah, well I don't," Mikey sighed, pulling into a parking lot.

"Should we both go in or...?" he questioned, parking the car.

"I wanted to get it to go, and then take it back home," Gerard explained, "Just tell me what you want, and I'll get it for you,"

Mikey smiled, "Uhh, whatever they have as far as sandwiches... Jesus, you know what I like Gee,"

Gerard smiled, "I know, I'll be back soon," he said, stepping out of the car.

He pulled his jacket close to him as a gust of cold wind barged through the parking lot. He ruched inside the restaurant, batting his eyes at the young female waitress, "Are you eating alone?" she asked, pulling out a menu.

"I just need some food to go," he explained softly, smiling handsomely.

The waitress swooned a little and brushed the hair form her eyes, "Umm, follow me,"

She sat Gerard down in the far corner of the restaurant, obviously trying to keep him away from any bothersome fans. Gerard smiled as she pulled out the order pad, "So, what is it you wanted... or do you need a few minutes?"

"I've been here before," he said softly, "And I need a lot of food."

The girl laughed, "Well, go ahead,"

Gerard sighed nervously, he hated being put on the spot, he always seemed to buckle under pressure, "Umm, four cheeseburgers, two veggie burgers and a club... no pickles on any of them," he explained, looking up at the girl.

"Alright, I'll get that for you as quickly as I can... do you need anything to drink while you wait?" she asked.

Gerard shook his head and sat there about fifteen minutes, delving into his old habit of people watching, making tiny judgements on the the other diners. The young couple fighting at the bar, the group of 'preppy' teenagers, their perfectly tanned skin and salon hair glowing underneath the feeble restaurant lights. He felt a hand tap his shoulder, "Sir?"

Gerard looked up to see the girl, ladened with several bags of food, "Here you go,"

"Oh, sorry," he muttered, cheeks flushing.

The girl smiled, "It's quite alright,"

He handed her his credit card, and shot her his charming grin. She seemed flattered yet unfazed and went to total up the bill. Gerard rapped his fingers on the table and grinned as the waitress set his card and receipt on the table, "Have a nice day," she said sweetly, as he gathered up the bags.

Gerard left in a rush, slowed down a bit from the food. He was just about to reach the car, when he heard a loud, "Hey! It's Gerard Way!"

Oh Fuck me...

Gerard sighed miserably and set the food inside the car, before turning to see a girl, about 16, jogging towards him. She was short, with wispy brown hair and perfectly cropped bangs. He smiled softly, "Yeah?"

The girl looked nervous, and extended her hand, "H-hi, I'm Tamara,"

Gerard couldn't tell if she was shivering, or nervous, "I'm Gerard," he replied sweetly, shaking her hand.

Tamra gasped lightly, "You... you're hurt!"

Gerard cracked a grin, "This? It's nothing, just a broken wrist."

Tamara whimpered softly and took his hand again, pulling a black marker from her pocket. She made a tiny heart just above his hand, then put an ornate 'T" beneath it, "There," she whispered.

Gerard smiled crookedly, 'Umm, thanks?"

"No problem," Tamara giggled, her excitement about to bubble over, "Umm, maybe we'll meet again,"

"Maybe," Gerard said quietly.

Tamara wrung her hands, and turned to her to look over her shoulder, "Well, umm, I gotta go... see you later Gee!"

He waved awkwardly as she turned and ran back to wherever she had come from, and Gerard inspected the tiny print she had left. He opened the car door and Mikey gave him a confused look, "What was that all about?"

"Some fan girl...come on, I wanna get home,"

Mikey rolled his eyes and started the car, pulling out of the tiny parking lot. They drove back through thick, holiday traffic, watching as short-clad tourists snapped pictures of random objects. Gerard leaned back into his seat, feeling the gentle rise and fall of his chest. He looked over at Mikey, who seemed to be frustrated with something. He pulled off onto the highway to get them back to their "home". Gerard flipped on the radio again, but Mikey beat him to it, "No music, my head hurts,"

Gerard laughed softly and turned around in his seat, staring back at the food. The smell wafted closer and his mouth watered slightly. "Don't even think about it," Mikey snapped.

"What?" Gerard asked innocently.

"You know what, we'll be back at the house soon,"

"You're treating me like I'm five or something," Gerard pouted.

Mikey simply smiled and pulled off the exit, "Its because you're acting five,"

Gerard gave him a toothy smile and laid his head on the window. They drove for about fifteen more minutes, until Mikey drove through the menacing Paramour iron gates. As he was pulling up to the house, a cat raced across the road. Mikey slammed the brakes and served out of the way, and they began to spin, the road still icy from the peculiar winter weather. The last Mikey saw was Gerard screaming, and then the trunk of a tree.