Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Nadine felt a sharp pressure fall onto her feet, and she groaned in distaste, curling up her legs and snuggling back into the blankets. But as she rolled over to kiss Gerard, she realized he wasn't slumbering next to her. She shot upright in a panic,. and saw him crying at the foot of the bed, the shattered remains of the post littered around him. Nadine let out an audible gasp and crawled over to him, hovering over his body, "Gee?" she asked nervously.

He answered her with a simple moan, at least let her know he was conscious. Nadine touched his back gingerly, curling her pale hand as the felt the strange effect of the blood on her hands. Gerard rolled slightly to face her, giving her a weak smile, "Hey babe."

Nadine bit her lip, "You... your back is bleeding." she stuttered.

"Really? Stings like a motherfucker." he joshed.

Nadine rolled her eyes, "It doesn't look too bad... some gauze pads and tape should fix it."

She ran her fingers over the few gashes along the small of his back, sighing softly, "How do you do it, Gee?"

"Do what?" he pursed.

Nadine let a tiny grin appear on her lips, "Get away with making me baby you."

"A coz you lover mes!" he said in his most childlike voice.

Nadine laughed softly and sat back, before then crossing her legs, "Can you sit up?"

Gerard rolled his eyes, but then sat upright with a noticeable wince. Nadine huffed haughtily and reached for her clothes, "Lemme go find a first aid kit."

Gerard grinned widely and laid back down on the bed, this time on his stomach, propping his chest up on his elbows and allowing his legs to swing in the air. Nadine pulled the shirt down over her torso and gave Gerard a quick peck on the cheek. "BRB!"

Gerard scoffed and stared around the room. It was very dark, with ornate, almost flamboyant, architecture. The twisted columns that flanked the walls, and the huge iron-wrought window, gave him the sense of a monastery, or perhaps, a very plush prison. He cranked his head up the ceiling, studying the Baroque-esque tiles that went in orderly rows across the room. A large chandelier hung over the bed, decorated with thousands of carved glass beads, casting small glittery lights across the room. There was a gentle knock at the door, followed by Nadine's voice, "Are you still alive?"

Gerard laughed at this, "Yeah, now get in here before they catch us!"

Nadine squeezed inside the door and practically threw the dark blue first aid kit onto the bed. Gerard groaned and shifted uncomfortably on the bed. First, Nadine pulled out a washcloth, and dabbed some alcohol on it. Gerard moaned loudly and buried his head on his arms. As soon as Nadine touched the cloth to his skin, he squealed and squirmed around. "Hold still!" she snapped.

"But it's cold and it buuuuuurns!" he cried, wriggling some more.

Nadine scoffed and pressed the cloth back down, wiping across his back, cleaning up the drying blood. She then inspected the now clean cut, "One is kinda deep, but its small, and the others look pretty okay." she explained softly, rubbing his spine comfortingly.

Gerard muttered something and yelled out as Nadine put of few drops of iodine on the cuts. She looked down at him, the rolled her eyes, pressing it dark yellow liquid into the gashes, "You big baby... do you want these to get infected?"

"Yes!" he exclaimed, giving Nadine a dirty look.

Nadine crossed her arms, "Shut up, besides, I'm almost done."

She dug around the kit for a moments, finally fished out a few packs of gauze. She laid them carefully across the cuts, then secured them with a few strips of tape. Gerard looked up at her, tears welling in his eyes, "You're mean." he whimpered.

"You're pathetic." she retaliated.

Gerard pouted and glanced over at the window, noticing it was growing darker with each passing minute, "We'd better get downstairs, its gonna be night soon."

Nadine, feeling curious, looked out the window, staring out at the deep red sunset splattered across the sky. Nadine then went back to Gerard's gaze, 'Get your clothes on."

Gerard smiled, "Nah, the guys have seen me naked, I'll be okay."

Nadine glared at him, chewing on the inside of her cheek. She then reached down the floor and thrust the jeans into his face, "I said put some pants on, Romeo."

Gerard whimpered softly at the phrase, a heavy shudder coursing through his body. He pulled all of his clothes on quickly and headed out of the room, "Jut, you know, wait for me." Nadine shouted.

Gerard nodded and slunk out into the hallway, running his hands mindlessly along the railing. He descended the stairs lightly, his unclad feet simply grazing over the bright floral rug. He then swung down to the landing, bumping into Frank. "Finally!" he shouted.

Gerard lifted an eyebrow, "What is it?"

"We thought you died! Have you seen Nadine or Bob?"

Gerard shrugged, "I saw Nadine in the hallway, but I dunno where Bob is."

Frank pouted and wandered back into the library, but hunger was beginning to take over his body, his post-sex state now deprived of energy. He dug around the cabinets, finally coming across a box of cereal. It didn't smell foul, and it wasn't that stale. So he contented himself with that. He then ventured into the library, the lights from the various candles lighting up the large room. But then he saw Nadine sitting on the couch her legs curled up beneath her, but something was wrong with the entire situation. Nadine looked pale, tears marks running down her cheeks and hand pressed up against her lips. Frank looked infuriated, while Mikey had a smug smile on his face. Gerard then realized, everyone's eyes were one him, burning into his skin. "Wha-what's going on?"

Frank stood up and blew a breath out of his nose, "Sit down... NOW!"

Gerard gasped slightly but quickly sat down next to Nadine. "Not there!" Frank snapped, pointing to a vacant arm chair.

Gerard nodded sheepishly and sank into the dirty, purple chair, staring wide eyed at Frank, "I trusted you! Hell, I've kissed you! But Gerard... she's 16!" he yelled.

Nadine let out a strangled sob and sought comfort in the arms of Delia. Gerard gulped slightly and could feel blood welling up in his cheeks. Frank loomed over him, "If you ever touch my sister again, I will kill you. And I'm not kidding."

He then threw a hard blow at Gerard's shoulder, a look of pure rage on his face. He then whipped around to Nadine, "Go upstairs, the both of... take a flashlight too." he ordered.

The nodded sheepishly and raced out of the room, before Delia broke down into guilty tears, "This is all my fault!"

"What?" Nadine stopped.

"I-I accidentally told Frank..." she cried, slinking down the wall in a fit of tears.

Nadine held her head, "Del! How could you?"

Delia sniffed loudly and wiped her nose on her sleeve, 'It just came out, and then Frank wouldn't leave me alone about it and..." she became lost in her tears again.

Nadine slid down the wall next to her, "I suppose they would've found out sooner or later."

Delia nodded blankly and leaned her head back, "Wanna just go up to my room?"

Nadine shook her head, "Your room freaks me out, Gerard's too."

Delia sniffled again, "What about yours?"

"Bed's too small." Nadine replied blandly, staring at the library door.

She sucked on her upper lip and draped her arm over her half-bent knee, "Maybe I should go in there, try to sort things out."

Delia nodded mindlessly, her eyes glazed over and lifeless. Nadine picked herself off of the wall and crept towards the library door, hearing the voices of the five men arguing. Gerard's sounded guilty and painful, while the others were crisp with fury. Nadine gulped slightly and her hand dropped off the doorknob, hearing the sound of scuffling. She closed her eyes, and a million horrible images and scenarios flooding her mind. "Just please get yourself out of this one Gerard."

She sighed and felt a sob bubble up in her throat. They were hurting him, if not physically, then defiantly mentally. She heard horrible slurs and comments from Frank and Bob, even a few from Mikey. Nadine gulped and tried her best to keep the tears in her eyes, squeezing her fists into tight balls and shuddering occasionally. She turned hopelessly back to Delia, who looked lost and racked with guilt, her pale form shaken by her heavy crying. Nadine walked over quietly and nudged Delia's shoulder, "Let's go upstairs."

Delia wiped her eyes and picked up the flashlight, the two of them ascending the stairs silently. Nadine allowed the tears to finally fall from her eyes, but she made little noise, the occasionally sniffle or cough. Delia stopped on the second floor landing, "Where do we go from here?"

Nadine sighed, Delia had always been overly complex, was she being metaphorical again? "Wha-what?" Nadine asked slowly.

Delia blinked, as if her words didn't register in Nadine's mind, "Where do you wanna sleep?"

Nadine shrugged, "Frank's room, it's warm and comfy."

Delia closed her eyes and the turned the corner to go up to the third floor. Frank's room was located directly in front of the steps, and they went inside quickly. They threw their shoes to one corner, and pulled of their jeans. They curled together in the large bed, barely taking up any space. Once they had settled, Nadine's let her emotions out like a flood gate, her body practically convulsing at the force of her sobs. Delia wrapped her slender arms around Nadine, whispering gently in her ear. Nadine sputtered and coughed, hot heavy tears rolling down her cheeks. All she manged to get out was, "they're gonna kill him."

Delia bit her lip, "They're not gonna kill him, Deeny. They didn't kill Mikey, and that was rape."

"B-b-but it w-w-wasn't his f-f-f-fault!" Nadine wailed, burying her head in the pillow.

Delia rubbed Nadine's back comfortingly, trying to sooth her and ease her crying. After a while, Nadine became tired, and the crying subsided to an overwhelming feeling of guilt and loss. She turned to Delia and propped her head up on her hands. "When you said 'Where do we go from here?'... what did you mean?"

Delia breathed out slowly, "I dunno... nothing really, but... maybe I meant to say it in my subconscious."

"Maybe." Nadine sighed.

"I wonder if they're done beating on Gerard yet?"

"I doubt it... he's in deep shit Delia... he wasn't even possessed."

Delia crossed her arms, and saw the flicker of lights across town, and changed the subject, "I can't believe it's almost Christmas."

Nadine blinked, " I know... what's today, the 22nd?"

"23rd actually, its midnight." Delia corrected.

Nadine smiled and sank down into the down pillows, "You're gonna love what I got you for Christmas."

Delia smiled, "You are too."

"Is it a pony?" Nadine asked excitedly.

"Maybe." Delia laughed.

Nadine blinked, suddenly come over with sleepiness, "Delia... let's go to sleep."

Delia nodded wordlessly and curled into Nadine, breathing in time with her. In mere moments, the two were asleep.
*******************
Frank stormed up the stairs, pulling off his clothes as he did so. When he reached his door, he threw it open, shocked to see his sister and her best friend curled up in bed together, noticeable tear marks on their faces. He sighed softly and leaned in the doorway, dropping his clothes from his tightly clenched hands. He heard someone walking up behind him, and turned around expecting to see Gerard, but instead spotting Bob. Bob blinked at him in confusion and peered over Frank's shoulder, a wave of regret crashing through him. Frank let out a gentle moan, "Let them stay a little longer, at least until after Christmas."

Bob nodded slowly and dropped his arms to his sides, "What are we gonna do about Gerard then?"

Frank shook his head, "Let Mikey deal with him, I guess."

Bob nodded slowly and stared at his sister's sleeping form, "What were we thinking Frank?"

Frank turned, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, letting them come here, what were we thinking?"

Frank shrugged his shoulder, "But I'm starting to think if they hadn't come, one of us would be dead by now."

"Yeah, I am too."

Frank stepped quietly into the room, laying his clothes over his suitcase. As he was turning to leave, his foot hit a loose floorboard, that croaked loudly. Nadine stirred and sat up, "Frankie?" she asked sleepily.

"Go back to sleep hun." he whispered, tip-toeing over to the bed.

Nadine rubbed her eyes, "What about Gerard?"

Frank bit his lip, "Just go to sleep hun, we'll talk in the morning."

Nadine nodded dazedly and instantly fell back asleep, leaving Frank to creep out of the room. Bob met him at the doorway, "What now?"

"We wait until morning I guess." Frank sighed, leaning on the chair rail.

Bob nodded slowly and the two of the descended the stairs to the ball room.