Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Six

It was nearing one in the afternoon and the California sun was shining brightly outside. Delia sat perched on an alcove, staring out the window at the gardens below. Nadine was milling around aimlessly behind her, muttering occasionally. There was a gentle knock at the door. Nadine opened it slowly and Bob stuck his head inside.

"Uhh, we're getting ready to practice some new songs, you wanna come hear us?"

Delia looked up, then over at Nadine, "Which ones?"

"Shut up and Play," Bob answered.

Nadine squealed, "Ooo! I love that one!"

Delia pulled a sketchbook out, "Maybe later, bro. I'm busy,"

Bob perked an eyebrow, "Delia, you don't wanna hear us play. I thought you loved that,"

She shook her head and her brother approached her, "Are you sure?"

Delia bit her lip, "Maybe a little later. I'm thinking right now,"

Bob shrugged and he and Nadine left the room. Delia re-positioned her herself, tucking her legs underneath her and shifting her weight. She could faintly hear the hum of the guitar amps and Gerard babbling into his microphone. She sighed and went out of her room and began to pace the entire third floor, finally stopping at an odd-looking door. She opened it slowly, feeling cold wind rush out at her. She tip-toed in silently, searching for a light switch as she did so. Finding none, she squinted and kept walking, the wind blowing around her and making weird noises that sounded almost like whispers. But then, she really did hear a voice.

"Turn back... save him... turn away..."

Delia stopped, "Hello?"

The voice grew louder, "turn away... please, go back... save them..."

Delia backed into the wall, staring around in the darkness, "Whose there? Come out NOW!"

A small, white orb danced before her eyes. It flashed and a little boy appeared before Delia. She stared at him, too petrified to move or scream. He smiled and his white eyes focused on her, "I know you can save them... go..."

Delia watched as the boys chest began to bleed, as if he had been stabbed.

"She'll hurt him... save him... turn back now,"

The apparition slowly dissolved and Delia stood there in shock, feeling fear and horror rocket through her veins. She collapsed onto the ground, tears in her eyes. She laid there for a while before the voice returned.

"Turn back... go... save him!"

Delia sat upright in panic and bolted out of the hallway. She followed the sounds of guitars to a large ballroom. She snuck in and sat down quickly on the nearest couch. Gerard stared at her, "Did you just run a marathon?"

She shrugged and looked down. She was pale and sweaty and her breathing was harsh and erratic. She blushed and covered her face with her hair as best she could. Gerard gave a small smile.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you. But, what took you son long anyway?"

Delia looked downward, "Umm, nothing. i just got... distracted..."

He furrowed his brow, "Distracted?"

"Yeah. It was nothing, okay? Just leave me alone about it!" she snapped.

Gerard gasped and backed away a bit, "Rawr," he mocked, "Why don't you kill me?"

"Why don't you BLOW me?" Delia shouted, crossing her arms.

Across the room, Frank squealed loudly.

"Let's play 'Sharpest Lives' now! And don't blame me, Delia said my favorite line!"

Bob smiled and spun the drumstick in his hand, "I'm ready when you are,"

Ray shot Mikey a look and they both picked up their guitars, strumming slowly. Gerard rolled his eyes, "Fine!"

Bob started to kick the bass drum and Frank played sharp chords in beat. Gerard gave Delia a dirty look and started to sing.

"Well it rains and it pours..."

once the song had finished, the guitars hummed quietly around the room and Delia sighed, "I've never heard that one."

Gerard smiled, "We just wrote it,"

Frank beamed and began to sing loudly and off key, 'Blow me! Blow me! So why don't you blow MEEEEEEEEEE?"

Nadine pulled off her shoe and threw it at Frank's head, causing him to fall on Gerard, who collapsed into the drum set, knocking over a snare and landing on Bob's foot. And this all happened in a matter of 2.63 seconds. Everyone's eyes turned to Nadine, who turned an extreme shade of crimson and covered her face with her hair. Gerard kicked at Frank lightly, trying to free himself.

"Nadine you bitch!" Frank shouted.

Gerard gave up and lay motionless on the floor, staring up at the ceiling tiles. One of them shimmered and a face appeared. It was the girl, and sh e gave Gerard an evil look, fading as she did so. Bob had noticed it, too.

"Did you see that?" he asked wildly, pointing at the ceiling.

Everyone gave him a confused look, so he kept pointing.

"Right there! A girl, I saw her!"

Gerard picked himself up out of the broken remains of the bass drum, not even realizing his left arm was bleeding. He glanced over at Bob.

"I saw her too... she was looking at me... its as if she knew I was here,"

Ray ran over to them and glared at the ceiling, "Come back whore! Show yourself!" he demanded, shaking his fists at the ceiling.

Mikey and Frank gave each other a weird look and turned back to Ray.

"I know you can hear me, bitch! Show yourself!"

Nothing happened and the room became still. "Whore! Bitch! Get down here now!"

There was a sharp popping noise and the amps started to squeal with feedback. Everyone clasped their hands over their ears and cringed. Ray cracked a smile, "Is that the best you can do?" he screamed.

The wails became louder, causing everyone to drop to their knees. Ray just kept laughing, "It isn't working!" he shouted in a sing-song voice.

"Die fuckers..." a demonic voice bellowed.

The room filled with icy wind and the feedback roared, cracking a few of the windows. the girl appeared before them, her tattered clothes sweeping across the floor. She smiled her sharp, silver teeth and held out a knobby hand.

"Die fuckers!" she cackled, disappearing in a flash of light.

Then there was silence and a heavy pressure set in the room. the single lightbulb hanging in the ceiling shattered, sending a shower of glass and sparks down on Frank and Gerard. Delia closed her eyes and glanced away.

"I guess I should tell you guys what i saw in that hallway..."

**************
They spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning the ballroom and making feeble attempts to repair the drum set. Delia crashed into the couch next to Ray and Gerard.

"So let's see, we've been here 2 days and only... 6 of us have almost died!" she half-laughed.

Gerard sighed and leaned into the couch, rubbing his left arm, "If this keeps happening, I don't think any of us will make it to see the album,"

Ray shook his head, "That girl... I don't know what happens, but when she's around I totally black out,"

Delia turned to him and lifted an eyebrow, "Black out?"

"Yeah," he muttered, blushing slightly, "I can never really remember what happens,"

Gerard's face lit up, "Dude, you totally lose your shit! It's crazy! You start yelling and screaming and waving your arms,"

Ray rubbed the back of his neck, "No wonder I've been so sore,"

Gerard snickered a bit, "Lighten up, Toro. it's kinda funny,"

"To you maybe!" he snapped.

Gerard giggled and crossed his arms, "Yes, it is,"

Ray narrowed his eyes, "Gerard, you're an asshole..."

He smiled and began singing, "I'm an asshole! I'm an asshole! I park in handicapped spaces and watch handicapped people make handicapped faces! DUR!" (AN: My bf wrote that...)

Delia shot forward with laughter while Ray gave Gerard a dirty look, "You're going to hell, you know that, right?"

Gerard put his hands behind his head and sighed in contentment, "Yeah, I know,"

The trio became silent, and Ray turned and slapped Gerard across the face. Delia blinked and Gerard gingerly touched his now red cheek.

Ray cracked a grin, "Stupid head..."

Gerard began pouting and gave Delia his most innocent look, "Ray hit me!"

Delia crossed her arms, "I know."

Gerard snorted, "Well, aren't you gonna do something about it?"

Delia shrugged and smacked Gerard's other cheek. Ray started guffawing and nearly fell off the couch. Mikey came over to them, carry wires and cords in his arms, "Would you three get off you lazy asses for once and help us?"

Delia shook her head and turned to Ray and Gerard. Delia gasped.

"You're leaving me?"

"Come on, we need to clean up," Ray said, holding out his hand for Delia.

She gave off an angsty sigh and stormed over to the drum set, picking up a snare, "Happy now?" she yelled.

Everyone nodded and Delia shouted a string of obscenities.

Delia sat Indian style on the and Nadine stretched her legs out in front of her. the room filled with a nervous silence. they all shifted around uncomfortably, as if the company was unwelcome and awkward. Frank coughed, but mostly to break the heavy quiet. Ray sighed and stood up from the floor.

"Ummm... does this fireplace work?"

Everyone gave him confused glances. "Work? Of course it works?" Frank laughed.

Ray crossed his arms, "That's not what I meant..."

He started searching the room, groping around for something. Everyone's eyes fell on him, watching closely as he continued his mad search. Finally he stopped at a beautifully decorated cabinet with large doors. It was filled with logs and he squealed happily, making Nadine blink in confusion.

"You were looking for... trees?"

"No! Firewood!" he said defensively, grabbing an armful.

He stacked in neatly and went back for another pile. Gerard threw him a lighter and he kindled it with a small twig. Delia glanced out the window, the sun was beginning to set and she smiled happily, curling into her friend. Within ten minutes, the fire was huge and filled the room with a comforting, orange glow. Bob stared into the fire, captivated by the colors and dancing flames. But then he saw a face. It wasn't the girl, no she was older, like her mother. He blinked and looked around, no one else noticed her, so he went back to staring. The woman gave a smile, then vanished. Suddenly, the door burst open and freezing air rushed into the room. It distinguished the fire, making the room cold and pitch black. Everyone tried to find someone else, just holding on as the wind ravished the room. Frank curled into what he thought was his sister, but when he heard her frantic screaming, he bolted through the darkness