Sequel: Hit and Run

Inner Demons

Chapter Nine

Delia was stepping out of the kitchen, finishing off a bag of Fritos, when she heard a loud crash coming from the stairwell. She poked her head out from the wall, and saw a black figure in a heap on the floor. She dropped the bag and took a few steps closer, trying to identify the person. He curled into a ball, and Delia gasped.

Gee! She thought wildly.

She walked over to him and yelled out, "GUYS! I think he's hurt! We should call Mikey!"

She knelt down and shook his shoulder, "Gee? Wake up... wake up!"

He just lay there. She turned him slightly, he wasn't bleeding, but there was a rather large bump forming on his forehead. She sighed and rubbed it with her thumb, "Oh, Gerard..."

She heard the sounds of footsteps drawing closer, and felt someone press a hand to her shoulders. She looked over to see Ray, concern and fear etched on his face, 'What happened?"

Delia shrugged, "I don't know. I heard this crash and I came out here... He must've fallen." Delia explained, propping Gerard up a bit.

"How? I've never seen anyone pass out after tripping..." Ray scoffed.

Delia glared at him, "It was just a suggestion... what should we do?"

Ray took Gerard into his arms, "Nothing looks broken, so we shouldn't take him to a doctor... I guess just wait until he wakes up,"

Delia nodded, "Couch?"

Ray smiled and the two of them heaved Gerard's body into the living room, stretching it across a plush red couch. Delia rubbed his face, "These will be bruises in the morning,"

Ray crossed his arms, "You don't think he fell down the stairs, do you?"

Delia looked up, "I guess... that's were the crash came from,"

Ray knelt next to Gerard, and slapped his face a few times, "Gee? Come on, wake up Buddy,"

Delia stepped back a bit, "Go get some cold water... and the other guys,"

She nodded and went into the ballroom, where Bob and Frank were squared off with guns to one another's heads, "One more step Bobby and your ass is grass,"

"Oh, contraire, Frank... I'm the king of head-shots"

Delia rolled her eyes, "GUYS!!!" she screeched.

They both turned to her, "What?"

"Emergency in the living room, come on," she explained, picking up a bottle of water out of the mini-fridge.

Bob gave Frank a look, who merely shrugged. Delia went back to Ray, who was still hovering over Gerard, "He moved... not a lot, but he moved,"

She handed him the water, and he started to pour over Gerard's face and chest. The two watched, wide-eyed and somewhat relieved, as Gerard stirred and let out a small whimper.

"My head hurts..."

Delia smiled, "I'm gonna go get Nadine,"

She walked out of the room as Frank and Bob turned the corner. They both gave Ray a confused look, who ushered them over to the couch. frank perked an eyebrow, "Why are we..." he began loudly, but was cut off.

"SHHHH! Dumbass," Ray whispered harshly.

Frank looked down to see Gerard curled up on the couch, the bump on his forehead was now incredibly swollen and purple. "What happened?" he asked quietly.

Ray looked him in the eye, "He fell... down the stairs."

Bob's eye size tripled, "Is he alright? Should I call an ambulance?"

Ray shook his head, "He's awake, and nothing's broken... he just needs to sleep it off,"

Frank sighed, "Where's my sister?"

'With Delia..." Bob answered, pointing towards the stairs. The two girls were walking together, and Nadine looked rather frantic, "What happened! Is he okay? Is he bleeding?"

Ray rolled his eyes, "He's fine, god... Bob, can you help me get him to his room?"

"On the third floor? HELL NO!" he shouted.

Gerard moaned softly, "Be quiet... ow..."

Nadine gave everyone dirty looks and stood next to him, "What happened Gee?"

"It pushed me... it wanted to hurt me..." he whispered, eyes fluttering.

Ray bit his lip, "Uhhh... maybe you should spend the night down here,"

Frank nodded, "I'll go get you a quilt,"

Everyone darted off, leaving Nadine alone with Gerard, "What hurts babe?"

"Everything..." he cried, curling up a bit.

"Gerard, that doesn't help me... you head looks horrible," she sighed, tracing her finger around the edge of his face.

"Water... and ice?" he asked, weakly, flashing her a smile.

Nadine cooed, "Stop using your hotness to make me do stuff,"

He grinned, "No, I don't feel like it,"

Nadine snorted and kissed his forehead, over his sorest spot, "I'll be back in a sec babe,"

Gerard sat up a bit and watched as Nadine turned the corner, her long black hair swishing behind her. "Hey? What are you doing?" Frank yelled.

Gerard's heart stopped and he felt his face drain of blood. He turned slowly to see Frank, carrying blankets in his arms, "W-what?"

"Lay back down! You could have a concussion!" he warned, rushing over to the couch.

Gerard breathed a sigh of relief, he couldn't let his best friend know he was dating his 16-year-old sister, not yet at least. Gerard blushed and sank down a bit, "Sorry,"

Nadine came into the room with an ice pack and a bottled water. She glanced at her brother before playing Nurse with Gerard. She wrapped the ice pack in towel and placed it on his forehead, and then handed him the water. He drank a little bit and smiled at her, "Thanks, Deeny."

She grinned nervously and glanced out the window, "It's getting late... night Gee,"

He pulled the blankets close to his body, "Sweet dreams you guys," he muttered, closing his eyes.

But as he was drifting back to sleep, he heard a snicker.

"Sweet dreams... not if I can help it,"

Gerard trembled beneath the blanket, he was alone... and so was Nadine.

**********************
Gerard slept fitfully, tossing his body around the narrow couch. He would've gone upstairs to his room, but he was far too sore and the house was too dark at night. He had kept the TV on, just to get some light in the dark, hollow room. The blue glow splayed across the walls, and the shifting lights and colors made the statues and paintings seem more grotesque, and even move. he curled up tightly beneath the thin blanket Frank had given him, feeling torn between terror and an over-whelming sadness. Finally though, he drifted off, mostly out of fatigue. But it had only been thirty minutes before he woke up again, this time by a nightmare. And for the rest of the night, it went that way. He stared up at the stairs and swung his legs off the couch. He set his feet down, and collapsed instantly from the sharp pains in his knees. He lay on the floor, shaking and crying out, hoping someone would hear him and come to his aid. "Gee?" a voice whispered.

He cleared his eyes from the blur of tears, and saw Nadine coming over to him. He smiled and began to cry again, rolling his body into a ball.

"Oh, Gee..." she cooed, rubbing his head gently.

She helped him back onto the couch, and made a move to turn off the TV, but he stopped her, "No! I can't be alone down here!" he begged.

Nadine sighed and sat down in the chair, "Gerard, you need sleep,"

"I can't though... I'm having nightmares... and they're getting worse each time..." he whimpered, tears flowing down his pale cheeks.

Nadine bit her fingernails, 'Gee... do you need help?"

He shook his head, "I need you..."

Nadine smiled and went over to Gerard, he curled up his legs and she sat beside him, and started to rub his back. He flinched, "Careful... that hurts,"

Nadine bit her lip and Gerard looked at her happily, "You're so pretty in the dark,"

She scoffed, "Thanks... nice to know you like me better when you can barely see me,"

He rolled his eyes, "I meant... you look beautiful in this lighting... kinda angelic,"

She blushed, "No one's ever said I was pretty,"

Gerard smirked, "I just did..." and he pressed his lips to hers.

They sat there on the couch, kissing softly, when they heard a loud gasp.

"What the fuck?" they heard someone whisper harshly.

They turned to see Delia, pale faced and mouth agape. "You two are fucking... kissing?"

Gerard hung his head and Nadine hid her face from Delia's. She sniffed softly, "Gee had a nightma..."

"I don't give a shit! Why were you two kissing? Does it not concern you he could go to PRISION Nadine?" Delia half-shouted, so she wouldn't wake up the others.

Gerard cleared his throat, "I asked her a few weeks ago..." he explained sheepishly.

Delia narrowed her gaze, "You sick fucker! You're 13 years older than her!"

Gerard felt more tears prick his eyes, and Nadine stood up in a huff, 'Why the hell do you care! It's not your problem to worry about!"

Delia crossed her arms and began breathing heavily, before storming out the front door. Nadine followed her, leaving Gerard crying alone in the living room. "What the hell?" Nadine yelled, watching as Delia got into one of the rental cars.

"What? i just saw my best friend kissing the man I've loved for over two years?!"

Nadine drew in a sharp breath, "Huh?"

Delia rubbed her eyes with her sleeve, "Gerard... I've seen the way he looks at you, he loves you... he's never looked at me like that... but I love him," she explained, starting to sob.

Nadine wrapped her arms around her friend, and looked out at the city glowing behind them.

"Let's go get drunk Del," she said suddenly.

Delia looked at her friend, her eyes bloodshot and watery, "What?"

"Let's go get really fucking drunk right now,"

Delia sniffled and broke out laughing, the two of them piling into a car, driving off towards the nearest bar.