Our Love Was Never Meant To Be

01

“Why do you do this to yourself?” Nora asked.

“Stop being so fucking melodramatic.” He sighed.

“Goddamnit Jace! I am sick of you telling me to stop worrying or to stop being so ‘fucking melodramatic’ when I am concerned for you. I love you and this is killing us both.” She said as the tears flowed from her bright blue eyes.

“Please don’t cry, princess.” Jace begged as he wrapped his arms tight around her waist.

Her anger began to ebb away slightly at the sound of him using his pet name for her. She loved him wholeheartedly and no matter how many times he hurt her, she always ran back to him. She knew it was pathetic, but how could she turn her back on the man that meant everything to her?

“I’ll make it up to you.” He whispered as he kissed her tears away.

“You always say that.” She replied.

“I mean it this time.” Jace insisted.

“Alright.” She said, giving in.

“Just let me finish this and I promise to make it up to you.” He said.

Nora turned away from the sight of her fiancé snorting cocaine through a rolled up dollar bill. She sighed and headed outside for fresh air and a much-needed cigarette.

“Why am I so stupid?” She muttered to herself as she lit her cigarette.

“I don’t think you are stupid.” A voice said, startling her.

“Fuck!” She said, as her cigarette fell out of her hand.

“I didn’t mean to scare you.” The attractive stranger said with a laugh.

Nora stopped for a moment and looked at him. His long black hair and piercing green eyes had her dazed. She snapped herself out of it with one thought about Jace.

“It’s alright.” She said softly.

“I’m Xavier.” He said.

“Nora.” She responded.

“It’s nice to meet you Nora. Now why do you think you are stupid?” He asked.

“Long story.” She muttered.

“I’ve got time.” He said.

Nora opened her mouth to speak but a loud crash from Jace’s apartment stopped her.

“I have to go.” She said, rushing away.

Nora ran up the stairs and entered the apartment quickly. Her blue eyes quickly found Jace lying on the floor with a chair from the kitchen table on top of him.

“Baby?” She asked tentatively.

“Princess?” Jace muttered almost incoherently.

“Come on.” Nora asked as she tried to get him to sit up.

“I love you. I promise one day we will marry and have kids. We will grow old together and I will quit doing drugs.” He mumbled.

Nora strained to hear him. When she understood what he was saying she sighed softly to herself. Jace always said this when he was high but he never remembered it when he was sober.

She knew this was an unhealthy relationship. Every time she thought about leaving she would come up with a pathetic excuse not to, but this time she couldn’t think of one. Nora knew that today was the day she finally left Jace. As he lay passed out on the kitchen floor, she packed her things and wrote him a note telling him goodbye. With one final look, she left him.

Hours later, Jace finally sobered up.

“Princess?” He called out.

When there was no response, he stood up and looked around the apartment. At first, he didn’t even notice her things missing. He finally found the note in the living room.

“Dear Jace,

I cannot tell you how much I love you, but I can no longer take your substance abuse. I’ve needed to end this for a long time, but I kept telling myself that you would quit drugs and we would live happily ever after. Today made me realize that everything you have told me is a lie. I ran out of excuses when I saw you laying on the kitchen floor and when you told me that one day we would get married and have kids. You said we would grow old together and you would quit drugs, but that is not going to happen. I just can’t compete with the drugs for your love anymore Jace. Maybe one day we will meet again and be able to be together, but until you figure out what you want in life, I can’t stick around waiting any longer.

I love you Jace and I always will.

Love Always,
Nora”

Jace didn’t know what to say or do. He was shocked. Nora had been his everything for the longest time and now she was gone. He knew he couldn’t live without her.

Jace gathered up the last of his cocaine and snorted all of it. Without fear, he tied a rope to the ceiling fan in the living room and hung himself.