Status: Currently being re-written

Howl.

Ch. Eighteen - Love is not a victory march

We ran until it got dark. There was a rather large area that we could work with, and not have to worry about being seen by humans. It was so nice to run with such reckless abandon.

By the time we got back to the truck, it was almost eleven. I got into the truck first, so that one of us was keeping watch for any police cruisers or hikers. Quickly, I pulled on a pair of shorts and a tank, then got out of the truck so Embry could have his turn. I leaned against the hood of the truck while he changed his clothes, my arms crossed. The air, to a regular person, would've been a little chilly. I enjoyed the breeze, for once appreciating my extreme body temperature.

The truck rumbled to a start, and I circled around it to climb into the passenger seat. "So," Embry said as I closed the door. "You want to find a place to sleep, or do you want to sleep in the truck again?"

I groaned, and shrugged. "The truck hurt my back. I mean, we're in town. We might as well find a room, or something."

Embry nodded, and started to drive. The pale moonlight lit up his face, making him seem even more handsome than he already was. I had always been somewhat physically attracted to him, even when we were younger, like thirteen. "It's not nice to stare, Lilly," Embry said, a smiling forming on his lips.

I blushed, and averted my eyes back to the road. My heart beat a tattoo against my ribcage, and it seemed so loud that Embry probably heard it. Within minutes, Embry had pulled into a hotel parking lot. I watched as he got out, pulling his wallet out of his back pocket. Quietly, I slid out of the cab and pulled my bags out of the back seat. Embry came out a moment later, waving a key at me. Without a word between us, we took our bags, locked the car up, and found our room.

The room itself was decent. It wasn't dingy, like I had half expected it to be. The carpet was a dark blue color, and the bed sheets were a maroon color. I peered into the room before I stepped in, watching Embry as he moved over to the bathroom. There was only one bed.

"Em?" I said, throwing my bag on the floor. "You realize that there is only one bed, right?"

He came out of the bathroom, flicking the light off as he went. "They didn't have any other rooms with two." My stomach flipped and twisted. "You ok?"

I stared at the bed. "Um.." I could feel him staring at me, but I tried not to let it bother me.

"I'll sleep on the floor if it really bothers you."

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. I'm just surprised, that's all."

Embry nudged my side with his hand, and I looked at him. "You sure you're ok? I mean..."

"No, I'm fine." I turned to him, and wrapped my arms around his waist, pressing my cheek against his chest. He had a very strong heartbeat, and it thudded against his ribcage. "I'm really tired," I murmured, holding him tighter.

"Me too."

I looked at him, and took a deep breath, reaching up to kiss his lips. It felt like it had been so long since we kissed, and with every time, I got more brave. All of this time I'd spent with him already had shown me something I hadn't realized before: I'd never wanted Embry more than I did right now. I closed my eyes, and brought my hands to his neck, pulling me closer. It took him a moment to respond, but finally he snaked his arms around my waist and lifted me from my feet.

I kissed him harder, deprived of it for too long. When Embry set me down, I tore myself away, a smile on my face.

"Hey," he whined, when I pushed past him towards the bathroom. "That's not fair."

I laughed, and closed the bathroom door, locking it. I hadn't showered in two days and that was my first priority right now. Stripping off my clothes, I turned the shower on and brushed my hair out while I waited for it to warm up. "Oh shit," I said. I had forgotten my toiletries.

Cracking the door open a smidge, I poked my head through and said, "Embry, can you bring me my bag, please?"

The bed squeaked, and after a moment, he stood in front of me, holding my duffel bag. "You're not very nice, you know," he whined.

I smirked mischievously. "I'm wasting water here. Give me the bag."

Embry raised his eyebrow. "You need to say the magic words first."

"Please, give me the bag." I shivered from the draft of cold air seeping into the bathroom. "I'm wasting water, Embry."

"Those aren't the magic words! You should know this by now." Embry grinned, and I rolled my eyes.

"Embry is the most handsome and amazing person I've ever known, and I am not worthy of being in his presence."

Embry handed me the bag, and I closed the door with more force than usual. It only took me fifteen minutes to shower, but by the time I was finished with the shower, most of the hot water was gone. I dressed myself in a pair of shorts and a tee shirt from the last Lacrosse camp I went to.

Robot Chicken was playing on the television when I came out of the bathroom, and Embry was half asleep. I could tell he was trying to stay awake, though, because when I crawled onto the bed, he sat up, grunting. "I'm still mad at you," he whispered.

I laughed, and kissed his cheek. "Be patient, young grasshopper."

Embry stared at me, his eyebrow raised. "Are we Japanese now?"

"Yes." I giggled, and curled up beside him.

"Lil?"

"Yes?" I stretched my neck to look at him. He kissed me, and I wasn't surprised. Our lips moved together, and for once I forgot that I was in a hotel room with Embry in Pierre, South Dakota, on a mission to find my father. I forgot that I was absolutely terrified of getting too close to someone intimately now that I had been forced into it only three weeks ago.

Because it felt so good to be loved by someone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. title: Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.
He's got the best version, I think. :D
And, this chapter is adorable. I think, anyway.

Comments? <3