Status: Currently being re-written

Howl.

Ch. Twenty Two - Throwing out the blame

"Sorry," I said, "but I'm tired, and I'm sure Embry is, too. We should sleep."

"Are you sure? Meredith is an excellent cook and you two could sure use a home meal before going back home." My father's face lit up in hope. I looked at Embry, who seemed indifferent. "It's not a bother, really. There will be plenty of food."

I sighed, and nodded. "Yeah, fine."

Dad beamed, and led us into the kitchen. His other kids had already taken their seats at the table, and they looked at Embry and I as we walked in with Dad. "Meredith, I hope you made plenty of food. I've invited these kids to eat with us."

His wife beamed, and pulled a pan of biscuits from the oven. "We always have so many left overs that any visitors who can help us get rid of them is welcome." I smiled, a gentle blush on my cheeks. Embry pulled my chair out for me, and we sat on the otherside of Dad's and Meredith's children. The oldest was a girl, probably about fourteen or fifteen. I recognized her nose, because I had the same one. The little boy beside her looked to be around seven or eight years old.

"Lilly, this is Hannah and Ben. She's fourteen, and he's nine." Dad sat at the end of the table, but even through his huge smile I could tell he felt awkward. "Kids, this is.. the daughter of an old friend of mine. Her name is Lilly."

My stomach flopped, and Embry took my hand underneath the table. He squeezed it hard, and I put on a smile for his kids. "Yeah, Dad," Hannah said, "you said her name was Lilly already." She rolled her eyes, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Where are you two from?" Meredith asked, while she finished setting the table. I watched her sit down at the other end.

"Washington," I said softly. "It took us around three days to get here."

"Washington D.C.? The president lives there!" Ben said excitedly. "I want to be President some day."

"No, stupid," Hannah groaned. "Washington state. You know, over by Oregon?"

Ben crossed his arms. "You're so mean, Hannie."

"Don't be so -"

"Hannah, we don't call others mean names. You know this," Meredith scolded. She looked at me, and frowned. "I'm sorry. They're not normally so obnoxious."

"It's fine," I said, picking at a biscuit. We all filled up our plates, and while Dad's family said a short prayer, I looked at Embry and tried to read his expression. It became apparent to me back when I changed that we could only read each others' thoughts in wolf-form. He stared at his plate, but a smile crept onto his face when they finished their prayer. 'They're crazy,' he mouthed.

"Why did you two drive all the way down here? I mean, like, it's like two thousand miles, isn't it?" Hannah asked.

Embry shrugged. "Sounded like fun." It had been the first thing he'd said for a while, and it was weird to hear him speak.

"Yeah, but if you drove two thousand miles, they're must've been, like, a really good reason that you came down here." Hannah had a southern accent, like Meredith and Ben, too, but hers was different. Almost like she was refusing to allow people to know she was from the south.

"This is good chicken," Dad said. He smiled at his wife and I felt relieved. The only sound that filled the kitchen after that was the clang of forks and the dog barking in the backyard.

"Yeah," Embry agreed. "Best I've ever had." I looked at him, and he winked at me. Of course, everyone in the pack agreed that Emily was by far the best cook in our neighborhood.

"Are you Dad's other daughter?" Hannah asked abruptly. I choked on my soda and started to cough.

"Hannah, that was extremely rude," Meredith reprimanded. "Apologize."

"I remember seeing something in Dad's office, like a birth certificate or a picture or something. I don't remember. But like, she looks exactly like Dad." Hannah chewed on her lip, and I was at a loss for words.

"Hannah!" Meredith demanded. "Apologize to her right this second or I'm sending you to your room."

"Mom!" She argued. "Look at her!"

"I think it's probably better if we just leave," Embry said quietly. He squeezed my hand and I bit down on my lip, trying to hold everything in. My eyes became misty and everything was blurry.

I took a deep breath, and stood up, the chair behind me scraping the tile. "Thank you for everything. It was delicious. But Embry's right - we should leave."

Dad stood up, and followed us down the hallway. "Kids, stop." He grabbed my shoulder but I jerked away. "Lilly, just calm down for a second, ok?"

My whole body shook, and I could feel the wolf inside of my racing to get out. My skin burned, and the more I was inside this house, near my father, the angrier I became. "I really don't think I can," I said, clenching my fists.

He stared at me, and Embry and I stepped out onto the front porch. "Lilly," Dad called. "Lilly, stop. I owe you an explanation, and if you just give me a chance.."

"Just tell me why you left Mom. That's all I need to know." I shivered, and Embry stared at me in warning. If I phased now, we'd be screwed.

Dad sighed, and pushed his hand through the thin black hair that I remembered had been so pretty. "I never imprinted, Lilliana. After I changed for the first time, I searched all over for the girl who I might imprint on. It never happened. And after I married your mother, and Jocelyn was born, I started traveling on business, and I met Meredith. Then you were born, and I started traveling even more. Meredith and I fell in love, Lilly. Your mother and I.. just fell out. It happens to people all the time."

I glared at him. "So while you had the chance you knocked her up and forgot about her for a while while you lived with us and lied to Mom?"

"It wasn't like that." Dad sighed. "Sweetheart, your mother and I fell out of love. You were too young then to understand that we weren't happy." He pushed his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "I didn't keep you a secret, you know. Meredith knows all about this."

I scoffed. "I'm glad you grew a pair and told your lovely wife about the children you had with a woman you didn't love. Really, Dad, I hate you. Mom hasn't been the same ever since you left, and now I have to take care of her. Because of you. Thanks, Dad. Really." I turned towards Embry's truck. "Have a nice life with your new wife and kids."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. title: Scream by Chris Cornell

So I really don't know how many chapters I want this thing to be. It wasn't be as long as Breathe, because this is just romance/drama while Breathe was romance mixed with shitty action and a weak plot. Maybe I'll go to thirty? Thirty five? I don't know.

Comments? <3