Status: Currently being re-written

Howl.

Ch. Seven - My life is pretty strange

It was still dark when I woke the next day. I hadn't had much sleep since the party, due to being uncomfortable in almost any position that I layed in. The clock read four twenty one, so the sun hadn't risen completely. I kicked the blankets off and stretched my whole body, a quiet groan escaping my lips. It felt good.

I could hear Mom in the kitchen, bumping around while she made coffee and prepared for the day. "Lilly, what are you doing up so early?" She asked, her voice cheery and a little too bright to my taste.

"I couldn't sleep," I said, sitting down at the breakfast bar.

"Do you want me to make you some breakfast before I leave?"

I looked at her, my eyes droopy and dark. "No, I'll be fine."

She frowned, but didn't say anything as she gathered up her things, shoving them into her purse. "I'll be home around six or seven tonight. Are you going to the bonfire?"

I shrugged, and rested my forehead on the cool granite countertops. "Probably."

After Mom went off to work, I showered and had breakfast, something that I only did on special occasions. I had never been a breakfast person, and would much rather have something like toast, which never really kept me going througout the day, but I was always too lazy to make something in the morning, especially on school days.

Pulling my red jacket on, I stepped outside through the backdoor and headed into the woods that met our yard. I hadn't been out there in almost a year, and decided that a walk sounded like a nice idea, especially because of the dew that still covered the grass and the birds chirping peacefully in their nests. The sunshine poked through the leaves of the trees, and I could see the separate rays.

I loved the outdoors, and used to spend a lot of time outside with Embry when we were smaller. But when we got into high school, we didn't have time anymore, and that depressed me.

The cold, dewey air felt good in my throat and lungs, and as I kept walking, I thought about the past few days. Embry and I were speaking again - which was great, but it felt strange, like maybe there was an ulterior motive behind it. I couldn't imagine that Embry would befriend me again for another reason other than he missed me. It just didn't seem like him.

A twig snapped, and I stopped, listening intently to what was going on around me. It was strange to find any animals in this part of the woods, but in La Push, anything could happen. Another twig snapped, and then another. I turned to my right, expecting to see a deer. About fifty yards away was a wolf, and it was almost the size of a bear. I stood completely still, praying to God that it wouldn't attack me.

But wolves were peaceful creatures, weren't they? I watched it carefully. The wolf's golden brown eyes glowed in the shade, and it was almost chilling how familiar they felt. Where had I seen those eyes before? It's hair was thick, and black with brown spots on his muzzle and paws. He stared at me for a long time, until three more wolves ran past him. The wolf joined them, only after lowering his head at me.

I remained still, listening to their heavy paws hit the dirt until they were too far out of earshot. For a brief moment, I could've sworn the wolf looked familiar. But I knew that there were hundreds of wolves in these woods.

*

"That is so fucking weird," Mary said, plopping down beside me on the couch. I brought my legs up and crossed them Indian style. "Did it growl or anything?"

I shook my head, "no. It just kind of stared at me."

Mary sighed, and pushed her hair over shoulders. I had called her as soon as I got home, and not even ten minutes later, Mary showed up without knocking. We had been sitting in the living room for about two hours now, absently watching television and chatting.

I looked at the clock, and was surprised to see that it was only nine. "Why were you up so early, Mare?" It was so weird for her to be up before noon. I hadn't even registered it.

"I didn't go to sleep last night."

"Oh, Logan."

She smiled, and I rolled my eyes. Mary, even though she was a good kid and very rarely did anything against the law, was very sexual. And for seventeen, I guess it wasn't uncommon. But I hadn't even thought about having sex with someone. I had always planned on saving my virginity until I was married. Things change, I guess.

I shifted uncomfortably, and sighed. "There is a bonfire tonight. Embry really wants me to go, and I don't want to go by myself."

Mary stared at me, annoyance covering her face. "Why would I want to go anywhere where Embry is going to be?"

"Kim and Jacob will be there."

"I never liked Kim. She was always way too happy." Mary picked at her fingernails, the black nail polish flecking off.

"Paul will be there, too, you know." I smiled. Mary had always had a huge crush on Paul, even though he was the one person we avoided the most, what with his huge temper and rude jokes.

"I'm dating Logan, Lilly," she said, but I knew better than to accept that excuse.

"Well, if I'm going, you're going, ok?" I stood up, and headed into the kitchen. "Besides," I called, "I need to get out of the house and see people." I could hear Mary sigh all the way in the kitchen, and I smiled to myself.

This was going to be a long day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. title: No Rain by Blind Melon.
Great song that I never get sick of. ;]

Comments? <3<3