Status: I won the contest!

All the Things You've Done

in my life.

"Jade! Come back, sweetie!" yelled Mrs. Smith. Four year old Jade was running across an empty street and onto my lawn. I was making snow dogs with my nanny at the time. She ran straight through my latest masterpiece, giggling like the little girl she was.

That was my first experience with Jade. Her family was moving into their house. Right next door to mine. That was the first time she made me cry but definitely not the last.

Seven years later.

My 11th birthday was less than two weeks away and I was so excited. Jade had explained in extreme detail of how awesome my present was. She said that she was almost going to keep the present for herself. Even my mom was in on it. The hype of my present was ridiculous.

About a week before, I went to her house to finalize party plans and such. I walked upstairs to her room and and just as I was about to turn the door knob, I heard, "He's just my neighbor. I only hang around with him because we've known each other for a long time. It's not like I could avoid him, he's my neighbor. He's really just extremely boring."

My eyes stung a lot while I turned and walked back down the stairs. I didn't realize until the cool air from outside hit my face that I was crying. And when I did, I started bawling. I damn near canceled my party. Obviously, I never completely forgave her for that.

Four years later.

Sophomore year was weird for me. Very awkward. It was when I started liking guys. I had only told my two best friends, Jade and Eric. He moved across the street the summer after sixth grade. It's kind of like initiation into the group. Move onto the same street and you're in. Anyway, as time went along, i found out that pact wasn't so stronghold. He said he only told one person but they probably told people who told people who told everyone and their mothers. Everyone knew I was bi.

There were only two unique looks I got at school. The I'll-kick-anyone's-ass-for-you-because-I-love-you look I got from Jade and the I'm-sorry-please-please-please-please-forgive-me! I got from Eric. Every else chose disgusted or interested. It sucked.

After a while everyone, mostly, settled back into their usual routine. Guys started asking me out, some girls stopped saying yes. Like I said, awkward. One guy in particular stood out. His name was Jacoby Riddyck. He was that guy everyone knew went both ways but didn't really care. Everyone liked him, everyone talked to him. He wasn't popular but everyone knew him. Everyone had his name in their mouths.

I had express myridiculousserious interest in him more than enough for everyone to know that I wanted him BAD. At least I thought.

One night, me and Jade decided to got to the roller rink. It was disco night so the only lights were from the ball in the air. After about an hour, she got thirsty and went to get a slushie while I grabbed us a table. I waited fifteen minutes before going to investigate. There were tons of couples hiding in corners and making out. It took me skating up and down the hall six times to realize one of them was, of course, Jade and Jacoby.

I skated to the checkout counter and ran outside to call my mom.

Last night [2 years later].

It was our monthly movie night. In honor of Thanksgiving, we watched every single Charlie Brown movie ever. Especially "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving". And by especially I mean we watched it about 20 times. After the 30th movie, we stopped paying attention and started asking questions.

"Do you like me?" I asked her bluntly after a few mintues.

She looked up from my shoulder with a questioning look. "What do you mean? I love you, idiot."

I laughed. "Because that made it obvious. But that's not what I'm asking. I mean, do you like-like me?"

For a long time, there was silence. She didn't look at me and she didn't talk to me. she just got up and put her shoes on. "Jade?' She looked at me with a blank expression.

Smiling, she leaned down and kissed my cheek, whispering to me, "Happy Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown."

And even though she had left, I still felt her warmth next to me.

Right now.

Right now, I'm about to go start helping the moms make Thanksgiving dinner. Today is November 25th. I have 30 days to let her love me or not. I'm gonna make 'em count.