‹ Prequel: The Sake of Hope

The Secret Weapon

"Welcome to the Fire Nation, Sake Lyamsu."

I couldn't possible imagine why on earth I was to dine with Azula and- heaven forbid- the Firelord- but I couldn't find one reason that would make the situation a good one.
My thoughts were interrupted by a swift grab to the arm of the guard who met me. Apparently, he was tired of waiting. But after only two steps, I jerked my arm out of the guard's grasp. I glared quickly at the masked soldier and walked gracefully beside him. I was a prisoner, yes, but it was most important to me to keep my dignity. It was all I had.
The ship, to my knowledge, would be disastrous to navigate through. We turned down perhaps five hallways, and they all looked identical. The same metal floors held up the same metal walls, that, often times, contained the same pattern of locked, metal doors. After a few minutes, however, our last turned led me to a staircase and I squinted in pain once I reached the top, as a harsh, bright sunset met me, something I hadn't seen in quite a bit of time.
The sun stood peaking over a most magnificent sight: the Fire Nation's capital city. It was nestled in what looked to be a hollowed-out, ancient volcano. The vast bay that we had pulled into seemed to be one of few doors into the city. Even so, the rest of the city was perched on top of such a high mountain, it looked to be very difficult to reach by any means. All I could see on top of the volcano was a single red roof, glinting in the late sunlight. I had no doubt that this was the royal palace, placed in the heart of the city.
"Ah, so nice to be home, isn't it?" a cold voice said to my left. Smiling, Azula looked down at me darkly. She was sitting on her royal procession throne, balanced perfectly and comfortably amongst a large seat and velvety, burgundy pillows. The entire four poster sides of her carried seat were shrouded in a light, translucent lace. Gold flames tipped the top as well as the four corners. I glanced down at my sash and the flame that was stitched into it. Such pride and self-importance seemed foreign to me. I mean, the Earth Kingdom has Ba Sing Se, but, in all honesty, I'd never been there and never even planned on going there. The closest thing I'd ever seen to a palace was the mayor's building down the river and we were banned from labeling anything with the earth insignia. For being robbed of my identity, I realized that I didn't have much of one to begin with.
The bearers that carried Azula's throne gave a signal and the procession began. There were only four guards- two in front and two behind- surrounding us. I was shocked at the lack of supervision I was being given. I simply looked like a maid or lady of the princess's, rather than her newly captured prisoner. Of course, when I looked ahead, a wall of soldiers stood around the path we were to follow, so any chance of escape would have been futile. And ever further ahead, was the zigzagged slope up the mountain to the capital. Once I was on that, it was go up, or go down- or jump. I was captured, even when I didn't look it.
The trek up the mountainside was slow and hard. I could only imagine what the soldiers carrying the princess were feeling. Even so, I hated them so much I didn't care one way or the other. I kept up easily, as my business in Dim Jan helped me stay in shape, but soon I could feel the sweat form on my lower back and on my forehead. I kept my hands tucked in my sleeves, formally, and kept my expression stiff. For some reason, I did this on impulse, mostly because of Azula. No one talked on our march up, and it seemed that unless she talked, no one planned on speaking. She sat as I walked- stiff and formal, with years of practice. And unless she moved, we were not permitted to do so either. It was a silent agreement, signed in your own blood should you disagree.
The end came almost suddenly, as I was captivated by my own thoughts. The slope ended and I was looking out over the tops of roofs and straight into a magnificent palace that loomed over all the rest. The wind which was blocked by the volcano wall hit me suddenly, a welcome change that cooled my moist skin and tossed my hair off of my hot neck. I breathed in deeply, surprised at the air smelling and tasting just as it did in the Earth Kingdom. For some reason I expected it to taste as fowl as the city, but it tasted just like home. Even the city, which I loathed deeply, was beautiful, I couldn't deny. If I wasn't a prisoner at the given moment, and the circumstances were a bit different, I would have wanted nothing more than to carve such a gorgeous setting into the smooth earth.
But, again, I was brought back to reality.
"Welcome to the Fire Nation, Sake Lyamsu. Quite a change for a lowly peasant as yourself I'd imagine. Try to keep your barbaric ways to a minimum, especially at dinner, and especially around Father," she finished, giving me a look that could have burned holes into my eyes. "Understand?"
"Yes, Princess," I replied quietly, turning my eyes back to the city.
***
We made our way down the path, straight to the palace. The entire city was emptied as citizens and soldiers lined the road, bowing to us as we strode through. Any other time, my cheeks would have burned fire red from all of the attention, but soon I realized it was not being shown to me, but to the Princess. I was her quiet pet.
Once inside, the procession dispersed abruptly, rushing off to other appointed tasks. Azula climbed gracefully off of her throne and joined me on the floor. She looked at me, waiting, then rolled her eyes.
"It's custom for anyone of the lower classes to bow as a member of royalty exits a throne. But for your case, I'll make an exception. I'm feeling generous from being in a proper house again," she said, then strode off, obviously expecting me to follow her.
"I hope he hasn't been waiting long. Father is very busy and doesn't like to be kept waiting. I made sure to demote the boat captain for his lack of tact," she said, as she brushed one small hair off of her skirt. I supposed I should have been surprise at her lack of understanding or compassion, but after being around her, even for such a short time, I knew that neither of those things existed inside of Azula. I pretended to be unmoved, and I knew she didn't like it.
We arrived at a large set of double doors, guarded by two very large fire benders. They disregarded Azula, while piercing me with their vicious stares. Azula only noticed the doors were not opening before her automatically, before she noticed why.
"Oh. We have a guest dining with us tonight," she said simply.
"Will you be needing guards, Princess?" he asked, still staring intently at me.
"No, that will not be necessary," she looked at me, evilly. "I'm sure she won't be any trouble at all."
And then, without further hesitation, the vast doors opened before us.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll skip the sob story and just tell you to comment ;)

but no really- sorry for being lame.
And sorry for the filler. The next chapter is just too much to combine with this one :/