Status: Complete: Possible re-write/re-post

Two Roads Split Off From Here

Grudges.

Chapter Fourteen: Grudges.

I unlocked the gates to the store and walked in, closing them behind me. I punched in, and filled the registers, checked stock and all that fun stuff. I looked out the gate seeing the elderly couples walking around the mall. I sighed, actually wondering if he would show up. I looked at my watch. It was nine, time to open. I pushed open the doors, and went back inside. I fumbled around with some straightening of the belts and wallets behind the counter. I heard the little buzzer go off, and I looked up.

“Morning, Lisa,” Matt said.

“Morning.” I looked back down at a sale paper I was looking at.

We kind of ignored each other for most of the day. I had other co-workers come in to wish me a happy belated birthday. Around noon, Sonny and his friends came in.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“Nothing much,” Sonny said, leaning over the counter towards me. “You two fight?”

“Jeez, wasn’t that hard to figure out?”

“He called me last night.”

“Oh, joy.”

“He’s gonna join the band too.”

“Cool. Think of a name for it yet?”

“No, not yet, we’ve picked out random words, but nothing came to us yet.”

“Oh. I’m sure you’ll think of one.” I glanced over at Matt who was talking to Derek. Travis was coming towards Sonny and I. “What’s up Trav man?”

“Nothing. What happened between you two?”

“Can’t tell.”

“She won’t sleep with him.”

“Sonny!” I smacked him. “Don’t tell the world.”

“Oww. Jeez, that ring hurts.”

I looked at my hand and saw the ring. I thought about taking it off, but I left it on.

“Where’d you get that rock?” Travis asked.

“I bought it for myself. I never find my birthstone in anything I like, but I finally did.”

Matt shot a glare at me, but I ignored him. I wasn’t gonna say anything about him getting the ring. If he wanted to say something, he would.

“You two should really talk to each other. Don’t break up.”

“Sonny, it’s been a day. Give it time to cool off.”

“I’m just saying, you’ve been together so long, don’t blow it over something stupid.”

“I didn’t do anything. I’m not saying anything.”

I heard some kind of sarcastic noise come from Matt. I looked over at him, but he was just folding shirts.

“Sonny’s got a point,” Derek said.

“Like I said. I didn’t do anything, so I’m not saying anything. I’ve respected others’ decisions, I’d like mine respected as well.”

“Okay. You’re so full of shit,” Matt piped up. “You’ve came onto me before.”

“I’m not a horn-dog like you are, Matt. Just shut up, because I don’t want to fight.”

“We don’t have to fight, because you know what? I quit. Take your fucking job and give it to someone who gives a shit.” He walked out at that.

“Asshole,” I said to myself. “Anyone want a job?”

“Actually,” Travis started. “I was looking for a new one. I’m getting sick of the library.”

“Come by tomorrow.”

“I’m gonna go check my schedule. See ya,” Sonny said, before heading out.

“Well, looks like I’m on my own, unless you guys wanna stay,” I said to Derek and Travis.

“I got work in an hour,” Derek said. “Bye.” He walked out.

“Hi Travis,” I said.

“Hi.”

“You’re leaving too, aren’t you?” I laughed.

“I got this thing with Lauren.”

“Oh, get outta here. See ya round.”

“You too.”

I leaned on the counter and started looking at the sale paper again. I was lost in looking at shoes that I didn’t hear the buzzer go off. Someone spoke though to get my attention.