Status: Complete: Possible re-write/re-post

Two Roads Split Off From Here

Promote Or Not?



Something suddenly dawned on me. Matt’s in the band. You hate Matt. You shouldn’t promote the band. I smacked myself on the head. What to do then?

“Excuse me? Do you have the new Green Day shirt I saw on the website?” someone asked.

“Huh? Oh, yeah.” I looked at the wall. “Right here.”

You gonna ask her? Should I? Yes! No! Yes! No! Eenie, meenie, miney moe!

“Hey, what do you think of the music in the store today?” I asked, listening to the speakers blaring out ‘When Flying Feels Like Falling.’

“I like it, what band?”

“A local band. A couple friends of mine are in it and they gave me a CD. They’re called From First To Last. Want me to see if I can get you one?”

“If you want.”

“Come back in two weeks. They’re giving me a couple, because I’m getting a job at the record company in town and I’m gonna talk to someone there.”

“Yeah. I want one. I like this song.”

“I’ll ask for one. You ready to pay?”

“Yeah, I just came for the shirt.”

I rang up her shirt and she hung out to listen to the music some more. I didn’t really talk to her anymore though. She just looked around and walked out. A minute later, another person walked in.

“Hi,” I said. “Can I help you find something?”

“Nah. Just looking,” he said.

“Can I ask you a quick question though?”

“Sure.”

“What do you think about the music in here today?” I asked, listening to ‘My Heart, Your Hands’ blaring out.

“What band? I’ve never heard this before, but I like it.”

“What if I said they weren’t famous yet?”

“Where can I get the cd?”

“I just got a copy for me. I can ask for some more. Come back in two weeks. It’s my last day, but I’m gonna sell some then. They’re a local band, newly formed. A couple of my friends. Called From First To Last.”

“Cool. I’ll come back in two weeks then.”

I nodded and he went about his looking around. Steph came back and I went to take my last break for fifteen minutes. I called Travis while I was on break.

“Yo.”

“Hey, how many C.D’s can you make in two weeks?” I asked.

“Why?”

“I’ve been playing it, and people are wondering if they can get C.D’s. I wanna sell some on my last day at work.”

“Really? Cool. I’ll tell the guys, and we’ll burn a bunch. Two weeks?”

“Yeah, two weeks. Thanks Trav.”

“No, thank you, Lis. I can’t believe people actually like this crap we play.”

I laughed and hung up to get something to eat. I felt accomplished for some reason. I got a quick bite to eat and went back to work.

“Steph, you busy tonight?”

“Actually, I got this thing…that’s not due till next week, so yeah.”

“Cool, wanna spend the night?”

“Sure.”

I grinned. When we closed up, we went to my place. We showered and changed into pajamas. I made a bag of popcorn, and she grabbed the coke, and then we sat down to watch a movie.

“Lisa? Do you like Frank?” she asked.

I looked at her kind of shocked.

“Do you? Or do you still have the hots for Matt?”

I looked at my hands.

“I don’t know. Frank’s nice, and a great guy, but Matt and I have been friends since we were little. I really don’t know.”

“I mean, don’t beat yourself up over it. I really do think you should go with Frank. At least make amends with Matt though.”

“I can’t. He’s fucked up too many times for me to forgive him actually.”

“You just said you didn’t know, because you and him have been friends for so long. What is it, Lis?”

I sighed. “I don’t know.”