Status: Complete: Possible re-write/re-post

Two Roads Split Off From Here

Screw The Party.

Chapter Two: “Screw The Party.”

Something happened ever since that day Matt and I kissed each other. We always hung out together more. I felt bad for us pushing Steph and Sonny away from us, but they didn’t seem to mind. At Matt’s thirteenth birthday party, the two of us snuck off to the tree house halfway through the party.

“Happy birthday, Matt,” I said, handing him an extra present I had for him. “It’s
nothing special, but you like the color black.”

He ripped it open and looked at the black t-shirt I got him. He read the saying on the shirt. ‘Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.’

“I know how you like duct tape,” I added.

“I like it. Thanks.”

“Aww, it was nothing. I had some extra birthday money from last year.”

“And you saved it for me. Aww. Come here.”

He pulled me into a hug. He had his arm around me as we watched the sun set. It was kinda weird. He was thirteen, I was twelve, but we acted so much older. I turned to face him. He was staring at the sky. I nudged him and he looked at me. I leaned up and gave him a kiss. It wasn’t a quick one like the first time, but it wasn’t a make-out kiss.

“God, next year we graduate eighth grade and then we’ll be in high school. That’s gonna be weird,” he said.

“How so?”

“I dunno. All the older kids. Couples walking around.”

“Oh. Yeah, there’s a lot of that. I remember once when my mom and I had to go
pick up my sister. I was home sick that day, but I had to go with her. She had gotten hurt in gym class. There was a lot of people holding hands.”

“If we get to high school, would you wanna be with me?” he asked.

“Yes.”

He laughed a little bit and we watched the night sky. I watched a star fly across and I made a wish.

“I think they’re in the tree house,” someone said.

I looked down from the ledge.

“Yeah, we’re in the tree house,” I said.

“Matt’s there too?” Sonny asked.

“Yeah. What are you guys doing here?” Matt asked.

“The party got boring. They managed to turn a birthday party for a thirteen year old into a party for the adults,” Stephanie said as they both climbed up.

“Parent’s suck,” I said.

“What were you guys talking about?” Stephanie asked.

“High school. I was telling Matt how every other person is holding hands with someone.”

“Yuck,” Sonny said.

“It’s gonna be weird when we go to high school,” Steph said.

“How so?”

“We’ve known each other or so long. High school means we’re growing up. We’re getting old. It’s kinda scary to think about.”

“It is. They’re always asking you what you wanna do after high school. It’s not fun, because I don’t know what I want to do,” Matt said.

“I want to have a job in the music industry,” I said.

“So do I,” Steph said.

“I wanna form a band,” Sonny said. “I doubt that’ll happen though.”

“Go for your dreams, Sonny,” I said.

“You know, the ones that don’t know what they wanna do with their lives are the ones that are more likely to become serial killers,” Sonny said.

“Shut up,” Matt said, punching him playfully.

“Yeah, Matt, a serial killer, like that would happen,” I said, laughing.

“Steph?” someone called into the backyard.

“Oh. Yeah, mom?”

“Time to go home.”

“Aww. Can’t I spend the night?”

“Steph, you stayed at Lisa’s last night.”

“Ok. Bye guys.”

“Bye, Steph.”

She climbed down and went home with her mom. The three of us talked about random stuff for another hour until Sonny’s mom came calling. He then climbed down and he was gone.

“Finally, I got you alone,” Matt said.

“Matthew! Are you up there?”

“Guess not,” I giggled.

“Coming, mom! Night, Lisa. Thanks for the shirt.” He smiled and leaned for a kiss.

The way he was, I couldn’t wait until high school.