Status: Complete: Possible re-write/re-post

Two Roads Split Off From Here

Could It Be More Perfect.

The lights went out, and someone started playing an acoustic guitar. We couldn’t see where it was coming from. Then someone started to sing.

Love of mine some day you will die
But I'll be close behind
I'll follow you into the dark


Just then, the lights came back and showed Gerard, Mikey, and Frank. Gerard held a microphone, one was set up in front of Frank, and Frank and Mikey each held guitars.

No blinding light or tunnels to gates of white
Just our hands clasped so tight
Waiting for the hint of a spark
If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

In Catholic school as vicious as Roman rule
I got my knuckles bruised by a lady in black
And I held my tongue as she told me
"Son fear is the heart of love"
So I never went back

If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

You and me have seen everything to see
From Bangkok to Calgary
And the soles of your shoes are all worn down
The time for sleep is now
It's nothing to cry about
Cause we'll hold each other soon
The blackest of rooms

If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
Then I'll follow you into the dark


My jaw dropped as well as Alicia’s. Then I looked at Steph. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She wore an ear to ear smile.

“I’m dedicating this song to my beautiful new bride, Stephanie? Come here, sweetie,” Gerard said.

She ran over and into his arms. She hugged him tightly. I could see her shaking because she was crying. I was ready to cry again. I was just unbelievably happy. The whole room erupted into cheers for them. It was quickly quieted down by someone speaking up. It was Frank.

“Okay. I got something to say. Well, a couple things. First off, I wanna congratulate my best friend Gerard, and his beautiful wife on their marriage. I send them my best wishes for a happy, and fun filled future…” he wiggled his eyebrows as he said ‘fun-filled,’ and we laughed. “…I know this love will last forever. Secondly, I already asked them if I could do this, and they okayed it, even though I said this was their day. They insisted I do it though, so I am. I want to take this moment right now, and I feel it’s perfect. I know we’ve had a couple ups and downs, but we’ve talked them out. I believe that there could be no better time to ask my wonderful girlfriend, Lisa if she would like to be my bride. Lisa? Will you marry me?”

My jaw dropped. I was shocked, even though I knew it was coming. What do I do? Go over there! If you don’t say yes, I’m never giving you advice again.I listened to my mind talking to me again. He got off his stool and started towards me. I got up and went towards him. We met nearly in the middle of the dance floor. He dropped to one knee and pulled out a box. He revealed a white gold single diamond ring. I put a hand to my mouth, and I could feel the tears welling up. I couldn’t speak though, I just nodded once, and he rose up and hugged me tightly.

“You know I love you. I’m so sorry about last winter about that incident outside your apartments,” he whispered.

“Its okay. I love you,” I whispered, feeling the tears slide down my cheeks.

More cheers erupted, but I ignored them as I held Frank. I was happy. As happy as I’ve been. Matt who? I didn’t care. Just then a random slow song started to play, so we all started to dance. Frank and I just sort of stood forehead to forehead and slowly moved back and forth, stepping around in a circle. I wrapped my arms around the back of his neck.

“I love you, Lisa.”

“I love you too.” Then I rested my head on his shoulder and I looked and saw Steph standing the same way with Gerard. She winked at me, and I just grinned.

‘Sex on the table,’ she mouthed, and I laughed a little.

“What?” Frank asked.

“Nothing.”