Status: Complete: Possible re-write/re-post

Two Roads Split Off From Here

Misdiagnosed?

For the next month, I hadn’t thought anything of the morning sickness I felt. I just thought I had a month’s worth of food poisoning, because I knew I couldn’t get pregnant. Until Frank nearly dragged me to the doctor. It was nearly against my will, but I had no choice once he got me in the car. We walked into the doctor’s office and sat.

“Well, why are we here?”

“She’s been getting sick in the morning,” Frank said.

“Okay. Should we take a pregnancy test?”

“I can’t get pregnant,” I said, hanging my head. “I was badly injured about two months ago.”

“Oh?” the doctor said, looking at me weird.

“I was stabbed.”

“I see.”

“Lisa, why else would you be puking in the mornings?” Frank asked.

“I don’t know! I’m not pregnant. I can’t be!” I hung my head.

“Okay, why don’t we, just in case,” the doctor said.

I sighed and followed him. I took the test as he instructed, and we waited for him for almost an hour. I knew I couldn’t be pregnant. How would I be? I was injured too badly after I got raped. I picked at my nails and stared at the floor. Then the door opened.

“Well, the doctor that operated on you said there was a very slight chance that you’d be able to get pregnant. Looking at your record, he put about a two percent chance on it. Well, two is better than none. You’re pregnant.”

I looked up at the doctor. He was serious. He meant it. Then I looked at Frank. He was also shocked, yet had the look of accomplishment because he was right. I was stunned and speechless. I felt my jaw drop and my eyes widen.

“But, but, that can’t be,” I said.

“Congratulations you two.”

I looked at Frank again, then the next thing I knew, I was falling out of the chair.

“Lisa!?”

Something cool touched my face as I woke up. Frank held my hand, and smiled. The doctor sighed.

“I think you’re a bit surprised,” Frank said.

It was dawning on me as I got to my feet. I didn’t know what I wanted to feel. Shocked? Happy? I felt extremely happy. I turned to Frank and I buried my face in his shirt and I started to bawl.

“Well, you two can go home now. Congratulations again. I’ll be in touch to set up the appointments for checkups and stuff.”

“Thanks, doctor.”

Once I regained my composure, both of us walked out of the building. Frank turned to me, happiness warm in his eyes.

“Well? I guess we got lucky,” he said, hugging me.

“It’s just so weird. I had thought possibly years in the future, but not this fast,” I said, resting my head on his chest.

“It’s too early for you, isn’t it?”

“No. I just didn’t imagine it happening before we got married.”

“Honey, we will get married. We don’t need a shotgun wedding. It’ll be all fine. Let’s go home, and you can call Steph.”

We headed home happily. I rested a hand on my stomach, and I thought to myself. I hope this works out and you’ll be a beautiful healthy baby.We went to my old apartment to pack up a few other things we could get then went back to Frank’s apartment. I immediately called Steph.

“LISAAAA!”

“Holy fuck! Steph! Have I got news for you!”

“Hold on! Me first. I’m gonna have a baby. A fucking baby! I’m knocked up. Preggers. Visited by a stork!”

“Aww nutters. I wanted to say it first. Steph!!!” I whined.

“Oh. I’m so sorry, Lis, I shouldn’t have bragged about it to you. I’m sorry, I’ll-wait. ‘Say it first?’ Lisa?”

“Yes Steph?” I said, grinning.

“But! No! Wait! Are you? HOLY SHIT!”

“I just found out this morning. So I’m a month in according to the time that Frank and I last had-ahem, you know.”

“Whoa. Me too! Dude, we’re coming there. We’re gonna party! Bye!” She hung up.

I hung up and put the phone back. I sat there and laughed. I just knew that Frank and Gerard were going to run away in eight months. Frank came in and saw me laughing. He looked at me like I had gone crazy.

“Well?”

“Yeah, about that. Steph is too, apparently around the same time I am. You and Gerard are going to run away in about eight months.”

“No way.”

“Yes, it will be a Way.”

Frank rolled his eyes, and he hugged me. Steph and Gerard came by and we had a small party. I called Sonny and told him too, so he also came by. Halfway through, I stood on the balcony, just overwhelmed. I couldn’t believe it.

“You okay?”

I turned and saw Sonny.

“Yeah. I’m finally starting to believe that life is looking brighter,” I said.

I truly did believe it too.