Status: Complete: Possible re-write/re-post

Two Roads Split Off From Here

Ending

*~Frank’s POV~*

Matt had disappeared without a trace. I was angry. He murdered Lisa, after trying to say he still loved her. I had to explain to Zack that Lisa was gone. I didn’t tell him she was murdered though. I wanted a small funeral, and that’s what I got. It was her family, mine, Gerard, Steph, their daughter Lindsey, Gerard’s brother Mikey, his wife Alicia, and Sonny.

I wouldn’t let myself live it down. I left her alone. I left her open to Matt. I didn’t request to the cops that he be taken out of state. I let her die right in my arms. I was just so angry at myself for a long time. It just hurt so bad. A year later, I met up with Sonny again for lunch.

“It’s still hard to believe she’s gone,” Sonny said.

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“How are you holding up?”

“Fine. It still hurts, but it’s healing slowly. Zack is still in a bit of a misunderstanding. Sonny? If I ever see Matt, I’ll go to jail. I then want you to take care of Zack.”

“Frank, don’t say that. No one’s heard from him since the whole thing. Nobody knows where he is, or if he is even alive. He could have a new identity. He could be in Asia right now.”

I sighed, and looked around the restaurant. I looked at the guy sitting in the corner booth behind us. I arched an eyebrow, and wondered. Sonny noticed and he looked. Then he just gave me an odd look back. I was weirded out though.

“You have a nice day now Mr. Williams.”

“Oh, you too. I’m sure I’ll be back here though,” the guy said.

Sonny perked up at the voice. It sounded oddly familiar, but then again, some people do sound alike. Sonny shrugged then went to the bathroom. The guy got up and walked by. I could feel someone staring at me. When I turned, the guy was staring right at me, smirking. Then he was gone. I looked at the table he was sitting at. I casually grabbed the folded up piece of paper that laid there.

High school ripped us apart, making our paths split. I just didn’t want to go down my road without her. You’ll never see me again. I only wanted her. As you read this, I have a plane ticket out of the country in my pocket. I have a new name, and a new identity. And now this is where our paths go. Two roads split off from here.

I fumed with anger, but when I looked back, he was gone. I cursed to myself and crumpled up the note. There was a lasting affect though. It made so much sense. The paths. They split. My road and his. Two roads split off from here.


THE END