Status: Complete: Possible re-write/re-post

Two Roads Split Off From Here

Sick and Shopping.



Chapter Eight: Sick and Shopping.

As I worked the next day, I wondered if Matt would show up. Stephanie was also working the same shift as I was, so I was talking to her.

“Steph, what time is it?” I asked.

“Ten till noon about, I think,” she said, then she came over by me. “Okay, you’ve
been weird today. What happened?”

“Matt and I fought last night. He wanted me to have sex with him and I said no, and we got in a fight over it. Guess who showed up though?”

“Oh?”

“Frank did. He was around and he saw what happened. He said I didn’t deserve someone like Matt.”

“Lisa, you don’t. You can do better.”

“I know, but Matt and I have known each other for so long. We promised each other we’d be together.”

“I understand that, but, Lisa, he’s turning into a criminal. I say just leave him before he drags you down with him. Frank is a nice guy. I’ve talked to him a couple of times. He’s a real sweetheart, and he knows how to treat a girl.”

I smiled at Stephanie. She was right. Just then I heard the little beeper. I looked towards the entrance and then I ducked.

“Tell him I called in sick today,” I whispered.

She nodded.

“Hey, Steph, Lisa around?”

“No. I talked to her this morning, she sounded terrible on the phone. She called
in sick.”

“Oh. I kinda wanted to talk to her, and she was going to offer me a job, although I think I blew it.”

“Oh?”

“We fought last night. Because I was a dumbass and wanted to have sex with her.”

“Matt, you know she wants to wait till she’s married.”

“I know, that’s why I feel so bad about it. Are you sure she’s not around, or is there someone else that works here that looks like her?”

“What?”

“I’m not a total dumbass. I’ve been walking around the mall for an hour. I know she’s here.”

I sighed and stood up straight. I looked up at him. Yes, up. He grew to be tall. He was over six feet, and me being only about five and a half. He was a good head taller than I was.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“Can we talk?”

“Okay. Steph, will you be okay?”

“Yeah, take as much time as you need.”

“I’ll be back in twenty.”

I walked out with Matt in tow. It was a little awkward, but then I felt his hand slip into mine.

“Lisa, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for that to happen last night.”

“I don’t know if I can believe that. It really bugged me.”

“Can you forgive me?”

“On two conditions.”

“What?”

“If I give you a job, you have to promise to do it well. Also, no more stealing stuff. I don’t want my boyfriend to be a criminal.”

I looked over at him and he nodded, and he smiled. I looked into his eyes. Oh, those beautiful blue eyes. I smiled back and he wrapped an arm around my waist. We walked to the food court and got something at Panda Express. We just sat down, when Gerard came up and joined us.

“Hey, what’s up, Gerard?” I asked.

“Nothing. You?”

“Working, gonna interview Matt here. How’s you and Steph?”

“Very well. Don’t tell her anything, but…I’ve been shopping around for engagement rings. I haven’t bought anything yet. Just browsing.”

“Aww. How sweet,” I said.

“Just be quiet. Don’t say anything to her. It’s still going to be almost a year
before I even ask her.”

“You can trust me,” I said.

“Gerard, you should show me what you’ve been looking at,” Matt said.

“Why?” Both of us asked.

“Lisa, you remember back when we were sixteen, when you and I promised each other we’d get married?”

I smiled. “Yes, I remember.”

“Ok, I’m lost. I gotta get back to work. Tell Steph I said hi and I love her.”

“Dude, just go tell her yourself, Hot Topic is right across from Spencers.”

He laughed, got up, and left.

“Matt, do you really think we should get married?”

“Why not?” He reached for my hand, but I pulled away.

“I’m not saying no, I just want to make sure you try to get your act together.”

“I will. I’ll do it for you…for us.”

I gave him one of my half smiles and we got up. He walked me back to work,
then I brought him to the back for the interview. I asked him all the questions and wrote the
answers. Then I faxed it away.

“Remember, don’t blow it and make me look bad,” I said.

“I won’t.” He leaned and gave me a kiss. “I love you.”