Confessions of a Teenage Zombie

He Can Get so Philosophical

I laughed nervously as I racked my brain for something to say. I scratched the back of my head and walked over to the window, sitting on the ottoman that was under it.

"She went to New York for college," I finally said. "So she's not in Vegas anymore. I'm sure she's still a total phone hog over there, though."

"Okay." Alex laughed. "I'm sorry, that was intrusive."

"Nah, it makes perfect sense. But she's totally still one hundred percent alive and not dead at all." I sounded really unnatural. I'm horrible when I'm nervous, and it showed. "So you're home pretty fast. I would've thought you'd want to hang out with Marshall at the bookstore."

"Not when he's being a little bitch." Alex laughed again. "He was in a sour mood when I got there, so I kind of just ignored him as much as possible without being completely rude."

"That's my fault. He was angry because of my anger at bad novels." I didn't feel bad for what I did, but I felt bad that it made Marshall mean.

"It was fine. I don't like being outside for too long anyway." Alex sighed, like he felt bad about what he said. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ryan walk into the room. I waved at him. He saw me on the phone and immediately ran out.

"Wait!" I exclaimed.

"Huh?" Alex let out a small cough.

"Uh, not you. One of my room-mates," I said. "He came in, and then left."

"Oh. I'm probably keeping you from something important," Alex mumbled. I stared at my feet. Where did that come from? I laughed it off.

"Nah. He probably just wanted to say hey or something. I don't know. I can go talk to him any time. He's not exactly going anywhere." The truth of that statement was so intense, Alex didn't even know. Because seriously, Ryan never leaves the house.

"Cool." Alex was starting to bum me out all of a sudden. "So do you go to college?"

"Nah. I dropped out." It was a bit truthful. "It just wasn't working out, so I left. I kind of just do whatever, you know? If I wanna learn, I'll pick up a book. I mostly chill at home, and sometimes hang out outside. You?"

"Not yet. I'll be in college next year, though," Alex explained. Yeah, he was a junior. "I don't know where I want to go, though. My parents want me to be a lawyer, but I don't really want to. I want to sing, you know?"

"You don't need college for that." I probably was not the best influence. God bless any children I would have, if I decided to have any. "I mean, if you want to sing, the most you'd probably need is a vocal coach, but that's it."

"Yeah, but my parents don't exactly jive with the idea." He sighed. "They say I probably would be better off getting a nice, secure job. I know that deep down, it's for my best interest, but it kind of makes me want to cry."

I didn't know what to say to that. I wasn't good with sad people, mainly because I usually ended up either crying or getting frustrated with them.

"I'm sorry, that was too much. Forget I said it," Alex finally said.

"It's fine." I smiled. "Hey, my parents wanted me to be a lawyer. You know how upset they'd be if they knew I'm not going to school anymore?"

"You haven't told them?" Alex gasped. "Dude, you're so cool. Oh man, I wish I were you."

"No you don't," I stated. "You've got your whole life ahead of you, kid. Mine's all washed down the drain so far, not even the best plumber in the land can get it out."

"What?" He probably had no idea what I was even saying. It was probably better off that way. I laughed maniacally. I heard a woman talking in the background. "Hey, I have to go. My mom wants to use the phone."

"Okay." I sighed. "You have my number?"

"Yeah, it's on the caller ID. Want me to give you it?" Alex asked.

"Nah. I got my friend to give me the number. Thanks though," I replied. "Bye, singer."

"Brendon." he laughed, as did I. "Bye."

He hung up. I closed the phone and got up. I put my phone on the dresser and opened my door, leaving the room. I walked over to Ryan's room, letting myself in. He was on his bed staring down miserably at the floor.

"Hey," I greeted, walking over to sit next to him. He looked at me for a few seconds before returning his gaze to the floor. "You came into my room. You need something?"

"Yeah," Ryan murmured. It was the first time he didn't freak out and consider himself a burden. Maybe on the inside he was, but it was a step up. "There's a book in my desk. Top drawer on the right. Can you get it for me?"

"Sure thing." I got up and went over to the desk. I opened the drawer, finding a photo album. I picked it up and turned around, showing it to Ryan. He nodded his head. I went back to the bed, opening the album and placing it between us. There was a picture of a little baby with a head of dark hair. "Is that you as a kid?"

"Yeah." he smiled and licked his lips as he looked down at the book. This was the first time he ever really shared anything about himself with me. He motioned with his hands to go ahead in the album, so I did. There were pictures of him, probably at age ten, with some other boy.

"Dude, those eyes, holy shit!" I exclaimed, pointing at the other boy. They were so fucking bright, it could've blinded me. Like, not bright as in a light, but bright as in innocent. Damn, I could think so philosophically. I couldn't help but feel like I'd seen those eyes somewhere.

"Yeah, he was the best friend a kid could ever ask for." Ryan smiled as he stared at the pictures. I looked at him.

"What happened?" It came out before I could stop myself. I covered my face with my hands at the stupid that had just left my mouth. "That was so dumb, I'm really sorry, Ryan."

"It's okay." He wasn't crying yet, which was completely weird and somewhat out of character for him. I uncovered my face and looked over at him. "Hey, at least one of us is alive. He seems to be doing okay."

I arched an eyebrow.

"You don't leave the house, how the hell can you know this?" I inquired. "He could be locked up in his room bawling his eyes out at the fact that his best friend is gone forever, as far as he knows."

"He's not. Remember when you asked me to spook those two guys who followed Brent a few weeks ago?" he inquired. I nodded my head. "The older one, Spencer, he was my friend. I didn't expect to see him at all."

My eyes widened. I had seen those bright eyes before!

And yet, I felt kind of bad for Ryan. The disbelief in Spencer's face when Brent left, I bet Spencer didn't believe in the supernatural, and didn't believe the house was haunted, which meant Ryan would barely see his best friend ever again, most likely. I didn't want to cry in front of Ryan, so I got up and ran into my room, slamming the door behind me.

I hopped on my bed and bawled my eyes out.