Confessions of a Teenage Zombie

The Fast and the Furious

I got home and headed for the living room. Shane was up, although he was still wrapped up in all of his blankets. I sat down on whatever bit of couch he wasn't taking up. He looked over at me and sighed.

"He's home, you know," I stated. Shane blinked and brushed his fingers through his hair, probably trying to make it look a little less like he had just woken up. "Art. He got home awhile ago, actually. He's asleep right now, but you two can make up when he gets up."

"He's probably still mad at me, though." Shane sighed and looked down at all his blankets. I shook my head. "He's not? Really?"

"No. Trust me, you two will make up pretty fast, and we can all go back to being a big, happy family." I smiled. "Or maybe even the paranormal version of the Golden Girls."

"I hope so." Shane yawned as he looked around. He rubbed his face and looked at me again. "Did you go somewhere? I heard the door."

"I had to go talk to my friend Alex. I did something he was slightly uncomfortable with a few days back, and we had to talk about it in person," I explained. Shane arched an eyebrow. "It's a long story."

"Well, I have time to kill until Art wakes up," Shane said. "And I mean, it's how we bond! I share stuff that happens to me, and you share things that happen to you! It's how we can strengthen our friendship!"

"Right. I suppose we should make some appletinis and pop in the Sex and the City movie?" I asked. My oldest sister was big into that show; it bothered me. I didn't like any of the characters, and it was all about sex. I mean, I know that was the whole point, hence the name, but there was more to a relationship than that!

But that's just me thinking too much about the stupid show. I had better things to think about, thank you very much.

"We're two menly men, Brendon! We'd watch The Fast and the Furious, if anything," Shane replied, rolling his eyes. "Besides, I thought you couldn't eat or drink anything."

"I can, but everything tastes disgusting, so I don't even try to. Not that I need it; I want to keep my girlish figure," I explained. Shane rolled his eyes again. "Come on! I'm so cute, and you know it."

"Yeah, for a kid." Shane scratched his chin. I furrowed my eyebrows. "What? You're a cutie pie, no doubt, but you're still pretty young. You don't even look like you could pass for being eighteen."

"I guess you're right. Not that it matters, though. I'm going to look this young and cute forever, and I suppose that's the important thing, right?" I inquired.

"If that kind of thing matters, then definitely. You know there's more to someone than their looks, though, right?" Shane removed a blanket and yawned. "I mean, you probably do know this, but I'm just making sure. Kids these days are stupid when it comes to what they think about regarding others. It's like, who cares if someone is interesting, as long as they look good. I can't stand it."

"Then it's probably a good thing you don't really socialize, then. A lot of younger people are like that." I blinked. "Why are you hanging out with young people, anyway? Creep."

"Very funny. I hang out with you and Ryan, don't I? You haven't thought of me as a creep for that. And besides, it's not that I did hang out with younger people, I just would notice and hear people," Shane explained. "I guess when you get older, you realize that looks aren't as important; everyone gets old and wrinkly anyway."

"Not us," I said. It made me kind of sad; Brent and I could never be the old guys who sit on their porch and down alcoholic drinks together. We used to discuss all the things we'd do when we got old and retired. We'd climb Mount Rushmore, we'd go sky-diving; cool things like that.

But while he could do all that, I'd be young. All those plans wouldn't be the same anymore. I looked at Shane. Did he ever think of what happens when Art got older? Unless the guy was hiding something, Art was completely mortal, and therefore was aging each day.

I wasn't going to bring it up, though. Why be such a downer, right? Besides, that was Ryan's job.