Sundaes

Love me.

“Sprinkles?”

A blonde head of tousled hair turns back from the window. She leans forward, pressing her chin onto her propped up arm. Her mouth twitches slightly in indecision, her light eyes flick over the room around her. Finally she tips her head in answer to the question.

The sunshine catches her attention again beyond the glass barrier, and she doesn’t see the wistful, skittish glances shot her way by her companion.

“Here, Marie,” the brunette smiles, pushing the bowl across the table. She digs into her own, savoring in the parade of flavors as they explode like fireworks in her mouth.

Marie dips her spoon into the sundae, twirling it delicately through the mush, mixing the white and brown into a sickening sweetness.

“Do you like it? Do you want something, anyth-“

“I’m fine. It’s good, really,” Marie smiles reassuringly, taking a giant spoonful and shoveling it into her wide open mouth. “Shee?” she laughs, full mouth trying to contain it all.

The brunette laughs too, but is unable to keep her ice cream in quite as effectively, and it shoots over the tabletop.

“Katie!” the blonde bursts, abandoning her bowl now and holding her stomach.

The two sit at the table, laughing through tears, while the world passes by out the window. The sound dies down, and they pull their shirt sleeves over their eyes. Katie stares lovingly, tenderly at Marie, unashamed now. Finally, she just asks.

“Love me?”

“Always.”