Halfway Gone

One

When someone close to you dies, the feeling is absolutely unimaginable. Like, there’s a huge hole in your heart missing, or shattered to pieces. The missing part was something that could never be replaced. Like it’s just something we all have to recuperate from. Something we all have to eventually learn and accept at some point in our lives.

So when Kimberley Creed was woken up at three o’clock in the morning, by the well-known red and blue flashing lights, her stomach lurched with her head spinning with questions. What on Earth was going on?

The dark blonde haired girl pushed the blanket off her torso, but just as she was about to get out of her bed, a soft knock came from her bedroom door.

“Honey,” her mother’s soft voice came. “Are you awake?”

“Yes,” Kim answered as her voice croaked in the silence.

“Come down, sweetie,” she said. “There are people here who want to talk to you.”

The eighteen year old thought for a moment as confusion passed through her. Who would want to talk to her at three in the morning? The answer immediately came to her, but why now? Couldn’t it wait until later in the day?

Kim slid out from underneath her blanket, and forced her legs to take her to the door. She had a bad feeling about this – that as soon as she reached the bottom of the steps something terrible would happen. Every step that she took down to the first floor of the house, she did not like one bit. There was a gut feeling in her telling her to turn around and go back to her bedroom and sleep, but she ignored her gut feeling this time and continued on.

“Honey, you might want to take a seat,” her mother’s voice whispered softly to her daughter as soon as the reached the bottom of the staircase.

“Mom, what’s wrong?” Kim asked, as she slowly made her way to the luxurious white coloured couch.

Kim sat down and waited for her mother to speak again, but one thing she noticed, was the red and blue lights. They were still flashing from the outside of the house. How could they still be here? They should be gone by now, right? As though on cue, two policemen walked into the house with their heads down, sadly looking at the cream coloured carpet.

Both of the policemen were holding their hats in their hands with sorrow in their eyes, which slightly unsettled Kim. She didn’t like what she was seeing in front of her.

“What’s going on?” Kim managed to choke out, breaking the disturbing silence.

“We’re very sorry to inform you with this, m’am,” one of the policeman frowned. “But it has been confirmed that your friend, Rosie Fowler passed away a couple of hours ago.”

“How…” Kim’s voice quivered quietly as tears began to fill up her eyes. She couldn’t bring herself to ask the question but the policemen in front of her seemed to have known what she was trying to ask.

“She died from a drug overdose,” the police officer informed the dark blonde haired. “Her bag was filled with cocaine and amphetamines, and her blood was carrying the drugs that went straight to her heart. Paramedics couldn’t get there on time, and by the time we got there we found her body on the curb of the road. By then, paramedics were still trying to resuscitate, but they were much too late. We all were.”

“Miss Fowler’s parents are out of the country for the month, but we’ve sent a message to them, telling them about the tragic news,” the other policeman took over. “Meanwhile, we looked into her phone and noticed a certain number that was dialed numerous of times when we found her body. That number led us to you so we figured it’d be best to let someone in the same country to know.”

Kim nodded slowly, trying to digest the information she’d just heard as she wiped the tears away. Suddenly, everything began to slow down like she was living in slow motion.

“We’re all very sorry for your lost, m’am,” a voice echoed.

She could just imagine her best friend, slowly crashing down onto the curb of the road, and her body turning limp, then suddenly lifeless on the curb of the road, and the paramedics just arriving, but the more she thought about her best friend’s death, something came to mind.

Kim looked up at the police officer in confusion. Funny, Rosie didn’t do drugs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I'm slightly nervous about this.
So tell me what you think. (:
Comment and subscribe, please! :D