Halfway Gone

Seven

It was the morning after Kim and Nick had visited the Fowlers. All night she’d been trying to figure out if the anonymous were the ones who’d actually killed Rosie. Of course, the anonymous caller was the number one suspect, but who was he? The case seemed impossible to solve. How did detectives to it?

“How are Mr and Mrs Fowler holding up?” Ivy asked, as the pair walked down the crowded hallway.

The bell had just rung for the end of the day, and students were eagerly packing their bags to take home for the night as they chatted loudly to their friends.

“They’re fine, I suppose,” Kim answered.

“Did you find out anything from them?” Ivy questioned as they turned the bend, and down another hallway.

Kim shrugged. “Not really,” she frowned. “Mr Fowler is a businessman so receiving threats from an anonymous was normal for him. “I’m back to square one though. It feels as though I’m getting nowhere, Ivy.”

Ivy thought for a moment as she moved her dark brown hair behind her shoulders. “We’ll figure something out for you to start,” Ivy smiled warmly. “But right now I can’t, I have to go catch a bus, so I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Bye,” Kim waved at her friend who quickly jogged off.

She was surprised in such a small amount of time the pair became friends so quickly. She smiled to herself. She liked how there was someone else in the school who she could talk to about Rosie’s death besides Nick.

As Kim walked down the empty hallway, she passed by familiar looking face, and suddenly, it came to her. How could she have not of pin pointed this in the first place? It was Cheyenne Carmichael, an attractive young woman with jet black hair and dark brown eyes who hated Rosie Fowler, but Kim could never work out why though.

As the dark haired teenager got closer, Kim could feel her heart beating faster. Now Cheyenne would be the number one suspect since her and Rosie had an ongoing hate towards each other ever since the eighth grade – she had a motive to kill Rosie! Heck, even the whole school knew about the rival between them!

“It was you, wasn’t it?” Kim blurted out as she faced the young woman with jet black hair, who was now standing face-to-face.

“What are you talking about?” Cheyenne said, confused.

“You murdered Rosie,” Kim accused.

“Kim, whatever is going through your mind – well you’re cra-”

“I don’t care,” the dark blonde spat. She was shouting now. “You hated Rosie since we started high school. The whole school knew about it, so don’t deny it. You couldn’t handle how much you hated Rosie so you snapped. You murdered her!”

Cheyenne’s jaw dropped. “Excuse me?” she snapped loudly. “You think I murdered Rosie?! You’re crazy! You may be right about me and Rosie’s ongoing hatred for each other but you’re wrong! I didn’t murder that slut.”

And that was when Kim lost it. She couldn’t accept what Cheyenne was saying to her, nor did she take the insult towards her best friend well.

“YOU LIAR!” she shouted on the top of her lungs. Why couldn’t Cheyenne just admit she was the one who murdered Rosie? “You murdered Rosie and now, you don’t even have the guts to admit it! You’re such a coward!”

“Kim, you don’t even have the evidence that I murdered her, so back off,” Cheyenne snapped before walking off.

Kim sighed to herself as she watched the young woman with jet black hair disappear into the distance. Cheyenne did have a point. She didn’t have any evidence that Cheyenne was the murderer, but she wasn’t going to give up just yet.

Suddenly, Kim felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She slid it out and answered it.

“Hello,” Kim answered. Her heart was still racing from the accusation she made towards Cheyenne.

“Stop trying to solve the case,” a low voice came from the other end of the phone.

“What case?” Kim said as questioned popped into her head. Her hands were beginning to feel sweaty. “How did you get this number? Who are you?”

“Leave the case as a suicide on a drug overdose,” he warned. “I will not repeat this, if you’re caught solving that girl’s death again, there will be consequences.”

“What do you want then?” Kim hissed into the phone angrily.

“Stay out of solving the death of Rosie Fowler or you’ll end up like her,” then, he hung up.

Kim felt her heart race a thousand miles her hour. She couldn’t believe what had just happened to her. She’d just been threatened by an anonymous caller – possibly her best friend’s killer. But was the threat even legitimate? And what on Earth was she going to do now?

Kim looked down at her phone and opened her contact book wiping a tear away. Great, now she was crying! Once a specific contact was highlighted, she called the number and impatiently waited for the other end to pick up.

“Hello,” a familiar low voice answered.

“Nick, I need you,” she spoke into the phone as more tears descended, voice shaky. She sniffed. “I need you now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked this chapter :)
Things are finally starting to happen, haha :D
Anyway, I'm excited what I've got planned for the rest of the story.
In the meantime, tell me what you think of this update :)
Comment and subscribe!