‹ Prequel: Why Me?

The Screams Have Ended

Happiness Is Worth The Wait

I looked in Gustav’s direction but made no eye contact.

I saw him walk towards me slowly. “What is it?” he asked placing his arm around my waist. I still couldn’t look at him.

“A boy, his name’s Jeeremy. You’re alright with that, right?” Verna asked for me.

“Why wouldn’t I be alright? So who‘s his parents?” Gustav asked looking heartbroken.

What the hell is wrong with these boys!? I give up.

“Yours and D.B.’s! You three really can‘t be that blonde!” Verna said.

I moved away from Gustav, unsure if I should be mad that he can’t see the resemblance or if I’m mad that my husband and friends are proving stereotypes correct.

“Let me see.” Tom said. I say he’s dumb blonde number one.

He and Bill looked at Jeeremy then Gustav. And again and again until he seemed satisfied.

“He is most-” Tom started.

“Definitely yours” Bill said. It’s kinda creepy when they finish each others sentences.

“He has your nose.” Tom said.

“I‘d recognize that nose anywhere.” Bill said chuckling. Bill is dumb blonde number 1 and Tom is 2.

I looked at Jeeremy and he opened his eyes and smiled a toothless smile. He reached his small hand up to my face. I’m glad I’m wearing studs on my lip instead of rings or he probably would have pulled at them like last time.

I looked at Verna and motioned my eyes to Gustav then the kitchen.

“Gustav, go in the kitchen.” Gustav didn’t take his eyes off Jeeremy and stayed put.

“Unless you what to get your ass kicked by a pregnant woman I suggest you get your butt in that kitchen.” Verna said standing up with a little help from Georg.

He walked into the kitchen without hesitation and I followed.

I balanced Jeeremy on my shoulder and scribbled angrily, ‘what in the hell made you think Jeeremy wasn’t ours?’

“You can’t get pregnant.” he said bluntly looking away.

I slapped my forehead at my stupidity and cringed at the pain I just caused myself causing Jeeremy to laugh and try and hit my forehead too. I held his hand and when I was sure he wasn’t going to hit me I wrote back.

‘I’m sorry I didn’t tell you but you would have canceled and I love you, and don‘t want you fussing over nothing!’ I cringed; Jeeremy just found my earrings and was now playing tug of war.

“I love you too. But why didn’t you tell me, I would have been there? You are much more important than a tour.” he said looking at me with a mix of confusion and hurt.

I took Jeeremy’s hand off my ear.

‘I know, love. But I’m not going to keep you from your job. I still had to do photography when Verna and I were in Russia. And I was about to die so I didn’t want you to come for nothing.’

“You’re not ‘nothing’! And neither is Jeeremy; if you would have been dead when I came back, I would have lost my mind!” He said waving his arms. Jeeremy looked at Gustav frightfully and cried.

I bounced him up and down lightly. I looked at Gustav and he looked like he wanted to kick himself.

“I‘m sorry for yelling Jeeremy. I just want you to know I‘m need to be with you. And no matter if you stop loving me I will always love you.” he said. I smiled brightly and hugged him. When I pulled away Jeeremy was in his arms. I smiled wider as Jeeremy looked at him curiously then started pulled at Gustav’s hair that now had the shaggy look.

“Ow. Ow, ow, ow.” Jeeremy smiled and pulled at his hair again.

“You don’t know how happy I am right now.” Gustav said smiling brightly at me.

I took Jeremy and grabbed Gustav’s hand.

We walked into the living room to find Georg and Verna making out.