Status: Updates might be slow because (I, Clara) suck at working

Caught Up In A Moment, But Not In The Right Way

Chapter Eighteen

Hannah

I went to the bathroom, hoping and praying that I'd finally be on my period. I was disappointed. Trace was still asleep (thank God) so I got my cell phone and dialed Clara's number.

"Pick up, pick up," I urged as it rang.

"Hello?" she said.

"Clara, I need a favor," I said, almost frantically.

"Uhhh...okies?" she said.

"I think I might be pregnant. I need a test," I said.

"Whoaaa, you're going to have a horse?" she said. I rolled my eyes. "But okay, come pick me up. I'm not allowed to touch car keys."

"Thank you soo much," I said.

"You're welcome."

We hung up and I went into my room to get dressed. I woke Trace up gently.

"Hey, where are you going baby?" he asked sleepily.

"I'm just going to get Clara out of the house for a while. I know she's got to be going insane," I replied.

"Okay, have fun," he smiled, kissing me lightly. I left the house and got into my car. I sped to Clara and Mason's and pulled up in front of the house. She was waiting on the porch. She got in the car and I took off.

"Clara, what if I'm pregnant?" I said nervously.

"Honey, if you are, please give birth in a stable with a lot of hay," she joked.

"Shut up," I laughed. "This is serious."

"Okay; well if you are, then I'm sure Trace wouldn't mind. I mean, if he loves you then it will be okay," she said.

"But I'm so young, and I'm going to get fat!" I said.

"Have you seen me? Hell even Mason? Uhhh...don't tell him that."

"Your secret's safe with me," I said.

"You don't always get fat durning them. You can go yoga; hell, I'll do it with you," she said.

"Well, first I need to know if I'm pregnant before we go making yoga plans," I replied, turning into the parking lot of a convenient store.

"Thank you for taking me I thought I was going to die in that house," she said.

"Thank you for coming. This is so scary."

"Hannah, I've had more prego scares than you, this is like an amusement park to me," she said. I shrugged.

"Still scary as hell for me," I replied as we entered the store.

"Don't worry babe," she said, putting a hand on my shoulder. We looked around the store for a few minutes before locating the pregnancy test.

"Which one should I get? There are so many," I asked.

"Get the most expensive. It'll probably be better and more accurate," she said. I picked up the test that had the most expensive price and bought it.

"My house or yours?" I asked when we got back in the car.

"Mine. I never told Mason where I was going," she said. I drove to her house and we got out.

"Where did you go?" Mason asked as soon as we were in the house.

"Relax, Mase; she was with me," I said.

"What's in the bag?" he asked.

"A um...pregnancy test," I replied.

"Are you...?"

"I don't know! That's what the test is for. I'm about to go find out," I said. Clara and I went to the bathroom. I opened the box and read the directions (as if I needed directions on how to piss on a stick).

"How long do we wait?" Clara asked.

"Three minutes," I replied. It was the longest three minutes of my life.

When the time was up, I held my breath and picked up the test.

Postive.

"Well?" Clara asked frantically.

"It's postive," I whispered.

"Oh my God, you're a mommy!" she shouted.

"Oh. My. God. I'm a...mom," I said, shocked beyond belief.

"Did I not just say that?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm pregnant. This is pretty fucking huge," I repleid.

"Yeah and your going to be pretty fucking huge," she laughed.

"You told me I wouldn't be fat!"

"Your stomach will dip shit!" she said.

"I know! And Trace will never love me again!"

"Okay, now you're just being dramatic, Hannah," she said, rolling her eyes.

"I'm pregnant. That's allowed," I said.

"Well, it's not like you can hide it from him," she said.

"I know," I sighed. "I'm going to tell him today."

"Well then, see, I'm sure he will react well about it. Now, if I told Mason I was, that's a different story," she said.

"Speaking of Mason, I should go tell him. He's probably dying out there."

He's been making me die here following him everywhere," she grumbled.

"Well, you know....you did relapse," I reminded her.

"I know, but damn it, he's boring."

"Don't worry, it'll get better," I said.

"Sure, I'll keep telling myself that."

We left the bathroom and walked into the living room.

"Are you pregnant?" Mason asked as soon as we set foot in the room. I nodded.

"I guess I'm happy about it," he said.

"You guess?" I said, raising my eyebrow.

"Uhh...yeah?" he said.

"Uhh..." I imitated him, "why aren't you fully happy?"

"Do you want a party for it?" he asked.

"I'd like a baby shower eventually, yes," I laughed as I walked to the door. "Well, I'm off to tell Trace."

"Good luck with that," Clara said.

"Thanks."

I closed the door behind me and got in the car to drive home.

Trace

I was watching TV on the couch when Hannah walked through the door.

"Hey there," I smiled. "You weren't gone as long as I thought you'd be."

She sat next to me on the couch.

"Well, see, there was a reason I went to get Clara," she said, biting her lip.

"What was that?" I asked.

"I'm pregnant Trace," she said quickly. I didn't know how to react. I couldn't honestly say that this was exciting news. I watched her begin to get nervous as I just stared at her.

"How um...how did this happen?" I finally asked.

"Well, it's not like we ever use protection," she replied.

"You should be on birth control."

"It's a little late for that now Trace! I'm already pregnant!" she said, raising her voice.

"Don't get mad at me! I'm going to be a father, and I don't know if I'm ready!"

"You don't know if you're ready? I'm the one that's actually pregnant. I'm the one that's going to have to go through getting fat and swollen and all the emotions. Oh, and let's not forget that I'm the one that's going to be pushing a baby out of out of me," she snarled.

"Yeah, and I'm the one that's going to have to deal with all of that."

"Well if you don't want to deal with it, then I'll leave. You won't have to deal with any of it," she said, getting up. I got up as well.

"Hannah, no," I said, making my tone softer. "I didn't mean it like that. I'm just scared."

"I'm scared, too Trace. I'm terrified. I don't know how to raise a kid," she replied. She was close to tears. I put my hands on her arms and sat her on the couch. I sat down next to her and held her.

"I don't either. But we'll figure it out."

She didn't respond. I looked down to see her crying.

"Why are you crying?" I asked.

"I'm scared."

"Of what?" I asked.

"Everything. What if after I start getting big, I'm not pretty anymore?"

"Is that what you're worried about? Me not thinking you're pretty? Hannah, you will always be beautiful to me. I don't care how many babies we have."

She smiled a little bit.

"I will always love you, no matter what," I said. "And I'm going to love this baby, too," I said, patting her stomach. Her smile got wider.

"I love you Trace," she said.

"I love you, too."

I sat with her in my arms, thinking about everything. Because, whether I was ready or not, I was going to be a father.
♠ ♠ ♠
Clara helped me out with this one.

Click Here to read our friend Katie's story California!