The Colors Of Your Life

Hello my name is foolish and my color is now orange.

Later that night you’re startled by the knocking on the door. It’s late and it being the only night you don’t work, you were looking forward to spending it alone relaxing after the kids went to bed. Seeing him through the keyhole though, you decide to open it against your better judgment.

“Did you bring my money?” The greeting is harsh and he pushes past you entering the tiny apartment even though you didn’t invite him in.

“Yes.” A small chuckle as two crumpled up twenties are tossed onto the coffee table callously. “But I came to see my daughter.” He says and you cant help but roll your eyes.

“Its nearly midnight, she’s sleeping.” You reach over and close the door when its obvious he’s not about to leave any time soon -by the way he just dropped himself down comfortably on the sofa across the room.

“Oh.” He responded watching you clear the toys from the other side of it before sitting down yourself and then it starts- Things are going to be different, he’s ready now. He wants this.

Please don’t deny him the chance.

Please don’t deny your daughter the father he knows he can be.

Please just let him stay the night. Let him prove to you he means it this time…

Tired and broken it’s the words you need to hear and he knows it. He can see your face softening with each word that falls from his lips. Promises of security, promises of a future. It may not be a diamond ring and a cart full of groceries, but it would be enough.

Just to have someone by your side, it’s all you ever wanted. A partner... Someone to scrape and scrimp along side of you as you both make your way through this twisted maze of life together. You’ve given up on reaching the top of the world, but not on the dream of love.

The words are pulling you in, closer and closer to him and you find yourself reaching for him back. Pulling him to you now and ending up in your bed, the product of your last tryst laying sound asleep a few feet away in her crib…

You fall asleep that night safe in his arms full of hope, eagerly awaiting the morning light, but you awake alone to the sounds of the baby crying.

He is long gone and so is the crumpled bills from the coffee table…

And as you lift the crying girl from her crib, carrying her into the kitchen to prepare her morning bottle, you just know.

Hello my name is foolish and my color is now orange.