The Colors Of Your Life

Happiness shines on you, and your color is yellow.

The morning is rushed as it always is. To bathe and dress and feed two kids before dropping them off in daycare and making it to work on time is a skill you’re still mastering.

But each day it gets a bit easier as they become use to the routine. The early morning kids shows plays in the background as you finish up the peanut butter and jelly sandwich you're making for your sons lunch. Packing it in the cooler with the babies formula you glance over to make sure hes actually eating his cheerios as he watches it and not just playing with them.

Satisfied you turn your attention back to the baby bouncing in her highchair. The bottle she is gripping tightly in her hand slips her grip and crashes to the floor. You instinctively grab the rag from the sink to clean it.

“Mmm don’t worry Mamas got it.” You tell her as you kneel to wipe it up.

You glance up and she’s smiling at you and you can’t help but smile back. The innocence in her face is poetic and she’s genuinely amused at the sight of you on the floor, peeking up over the tray on the highchair at her.

You disappear from her sight stretching to reach the last few drops and she giggles loudly when you reappear like its some sort of a game.

“Oh you like that huh?” You forget about the clock ticking overhead and revel in the moment for what it is.

“Where’s Mama?” You tease her as you repeat it once more. Resistant to give up the moment, you drop back down and peek back up swiftly and another eruption of giggles fill the air, but this time its not just from her but from you as well.

“Mmm you see Mama?” You coo at her disappearing once more and this time as you emerge her tiny voice pierces the air.

“Mama.” She calls you and your heart swells as you scoop her from her chair.

“You called me Mama!” You cry out and your son looks over curiously now at what is all the commotion. “Your first word is Mama!” You smother her in kisses, eagerly trying to get her to say it once more and when she does-

Happiness shines on you, and your color is yellow.