Broken Down on Memory Lane Alone, Together Alone

Well… you’re just gonna have to deal with it.

Work was finally over. I flipped the open sign to closed, and placed the broom back in its spot behind the cash register. As much as I loved working at Yellow Brick Road, but I loved going home even more. Though today I wasn’t going right home. Dravin was supposed to come get me at anytime now.

I gave the place a quick once over to make sure I didn’t forget to do anything. All the records were in place, the shirts all neatly hanging up on the rack, the posters were in their proper places, all the action figures were straight on their shelves, and the comic books were sorted. Everything seemed to be in order.

I slipped on my old leather jacket and went outside, making sure to lock the door behind me. I sat on the front step and waited for Dravin. It was a rather nice evening. People were out walking. Meeting up with friends. Getting in some late shopping. It was interesting to watch them all interact.

“All set to go I see,” Dravin laughed as he walked up to me.

I stood and gave him a small kiss on the cheek, “of course, I’m excited to see what you have planned.”

He chuckled as we started to walk, his arm protectively wrapped around my waist, “don’t get too excited. I am working with a college students funds here… which pretty much means I’m working with nothing.”

“Well,” I smiled up at him, “knowing you, you can make it work.”

We continued to converse as we walked. He told me about his day, and I told him about mine. Noting all that exciting, but I was nice. We ended up at the local art gallery. There weren’t many people there, but the few who were looking around seemed a little snobby when they saw us. We didn’t pay them any mind; they could think what ever they wanted.

Dravin led me around the place. There were a lot of really nice pieces. We talked about some, and joked about others. It was a really good time for being in an art gallery. I was really surprised how long we spent in there. It was eight PM when we left.

“Where to now kind sir?” I asked as we linked arms.

“Well, that diner across the street is looking pretty promising right about now,” he smiled.

“Sounds good to me,” I returned his smile, and we made our way over to the establishment.

There were quite a few people there already, eating and having a nice time. We sat in a booth, and were almost immediately waited on by a larger cheery woman. She was very kind and peppy as she waited on us. Dravin got a simple burger and fries, and I went with chicken strips and fries.

We sat in a comfortable silence as we waited. I took the time to once again people watch. I’d been doing it more frequently lately, which was a little odd. But then again, so were the people I was watching.

“You know,” Dravin began, as he lit a cigarette and took a drag, “I’ve never enjoyed just sitting and watching someone as much as I do with you.”

I felt a dark blush creep up on my cheeks, as my stomach did a back flip. I’d never been told something like that before. Nor did I realise he had been observing me. I was used to being the one watching people, not actually being watched myself. I felt a little self-conscious now that I knew he had been watching me.

I looked down at my lap and mumbled, “thanks.”

“You’ve got a cute voice too,” he smiled warmly, blowing out smoke.

I nervously giggled, “Shut up.”

“What? Are you trying to tell me a pretty girl like you isn’t used to hearing compliments?” he asked, quirking an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes and looked at him, “how many times have you heard someone compliment me? I’m not really used to it… it makes me feel weird.”

He shrugged, “well… you’re just gonna have to deal with it, luv. Because I intend to give you compliments as often as I can.”

The happy older woman came back with our food, and moved on to the next table to see how they were doing. We both started to eat. Feeing very self-conscious now, I was breaking everything into pieces before I put it in my mouth. I didn’t want to chance doing something unflattering when I took a bite of my food.

“What are we gonna do after this?” I asked, trying to start up another conversation.

“What would you like to do?” I looked up from his fries over at me, then quickly added, “that doesn’t cost money or involve driving.”

I grinned at him and shrugged. I honestly didn’t care what I did, as long as it was with him.

“My place isn’t too far from here… we could watch a movie or something?”

I nodded my head, “sounds like a plan to me.”

We continued to finish our meal, keeping up a casual conversation about everything and nothing. Dravin, being the proper gentleman he was, insisted on paying. Which I didn’t argue with, as I didn’t have any money on me.

Dravin offered me his arm again, I took it happily and he opened the door, “ladies first.”

And with that we set off for his place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mickyxx3 for the comment!