Someday, You Will Be Loved

The memories of me will seem more like bad dreams

"There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy." -- Jean Anouilh

I once knew a girl
In the years of my youth
With eyes like the summer
All beauty and truth
In the morning I fled
Left a note and it read
Someday you will be loved


Two years. Two. Two years was all she could repeat to herself as her unsteady legs slowly climbed up the rocks. Her hands fumbled to find somewhere to hold to keep her steady. Gritting her teeth, she finally pulled herself to the top of Landon’s Hill.

Emma scoffed a little at that. The name should have been Landon’s mini-mountain. How many hills were surrounded by rocks that you had to climb?

But it fit. Landon always downplayed things. He was the calm one. The cool, collected one who could have a ten page paper due tomorrow but still make time to hang out with friends without a worry.

Emma had tried to be like him after he left: Calm, intelligent and a wise soul.

She failed.

Emma was the crazy one. The one who had to be put on sedatives to keep calm the night of a party. Her sedative had been Landon. He was one of the few who were able to calm her nerves down, a trait their teachers had probably wished for.

But she had become more reserved.

Emma looked towards the sky in despair. It had been a sunset when she has left home but now the sky was dark and the cool summer wind whipped around, hissing untold truths into her ear.

The truth about Landon’s death would never fully be revealed. He had been hit straight on, but the driver of the vehicle had fled in panic, minutes before the police and the ambulance had arrived.

The driver of the vehicle had become the only person Emma ever harbored any intense dislike towards. In fact, she hated him for his selfishness. She would have achieved some kind of closure if he had been caught, but now he was out there. He wasn’t a rapist or a serial killer, but he was a murderer. And as far as Emma was concerned he would get what he deserved.

He would get what he deserved for taking love out of Emma’s world. He had to.

I cannot pretend that I felt any regret
Cause each broken heart will eventually mend
As the blood runs red down the needle and thread
Someday you will be loved


You could see the entire town from up there, but all Emma could see was Landon.

Emma walked forward to kneel at the cold, granite tombstone.

“Here lies Landon Morisson,” she whispered, her voice raspy, “ a man who didn’t need to be told twice what love and care was; a man who tried his best and gave 100%; a man who gave up his life and now watches his family and friends, as well as the love of his life from Heaven. R.I.P Landon. June 14, 1990 – January 3, 2010.”

You'll be loved you'll be loved
Like you never have known
The memories of me
Will seem more like bad dreams
Just a series of blurs
Like I never occurred
Someday you will be loved

You may feel alone when you're falling asleep
And everytime tears roll down your cheeks
But I know your heart belongs to someone you've yet to meet
Someday you will be loved


Tears fell rampant down Emma’s cheeks and she didn’t bother to brush them away. Her tears were evidence of her love for the man who now lay six feet under. Her tears were evidence of the anguish she had gone through and that she was still going through. Her tears were evidence that true love did exist.

Reaching into her pocket, she drew out a coin. To an outsider, it would look like just another rusty penny that was virtually useless. But Emma knew better. It was the penny she had thrown into the mall fountain when she made the wish to find true love. Minutes later, Landon had come breezing along, charismatically informing her that she had missed the fountain when she had thrown the penny behind her back.

Emma smiled wryly at the memory. Her lack of hand-eye coordination had always been a favorite trait of hers that Landon enjoyed teasing her about.

Still kneeling, she dug a small hole in the ground and dropped the penny in there. She covered the hole again and stood up, brushing the dirt off her worn jeans.

She started climbing down Landon’s Hill again, but before she did, she glanced at the grave one more time.

“I love you, and I always will,” Emma whispered, her words floating into the air.

You could see the entire town from up there, but all Emma could see was her empty, unfeeling heart.

Maybe one day she would be lucky enough to experience the emotion called love again, and maybe she would just settle for a nice guy.

But it was always known that Landon had loved Emma. And it would always be known that Emma would love Landon, regardless of the possibility of another man.

Someday she would experience love again.

You'll be loved you'll be loved
Like you never have known
The memories of me
Will seem more like bad dreams
Just a series of blurs
Like I never occurred
Someday you will be loved


"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." -- Alfred Lord Tennyson
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to add more, but I didn't want to over stuff it. I like simplicity.

Reviews very much appreciated, mes amis.

Merci!

--Mia