Status: complete

Thalion Faer, Doltha Hún

Fangorn

Previously I would have given anything for my visions to be wrong. Now, all I wanted was for them to be true. I could not entertain the notion that Merry and Pippin were dead. In my heart I did not believe it. They were somewhere in this forest, and I would rescue them. I had to rescue them; it was the only thing I could do now.

It was all I could do to feel needed. I was no beautiful Elf-Maiden, I was not of Royal blood or the bearer of some great destiny. I had no family left to care for or protect. And as we ran through the forest of Fangorn, I realized that’s what I’d done all my life. Run away. Run from the idea that I was no longer needed by anyone. Run from the fact that I would never be of importance; just an orphaned stable girl who would perish alone from old age. Wither away like spring flowers on a hot day.

When I left it was because Boromir would marry into royalty by his father’s wishes, and Faramir would have other friends. My mother was gone, and my father was gone. Perhaps I had it in my mind that by training and becoming the greatest fighter I could be, I would have accomplished something in my life. Someone worth remembering. I wanted to be so much more than I was.

"Orc blood!"Gimli exclaimed, tearing me from my thoughts. I looked over at him rubbing a black substance between his index finger and thumb.

"These are strange tracks…” Aragorn was hunched over impressions on the ground, studying them feverishly as Legolas wandered ahead of us.

"The air is so close here." Gimli huffed. I too found it hard to breathe; but something told me it was more than just the forest. I had been struggling to breathe the entire time; and stumbling over my own feet as I walked.

"This forest is old.” Legolas said softly. “Very old. Full of memory… and anger." At the mention of this, a low grumbling could be heard in the distance; unlike that of any beast I had ever encountered in my life. Gimli began to panic; brandishing his axe before him as his eyes darted around the forest.

"The trees are speaking to each other.” Legolas looked around in wonder.

"Gimli!" Aragorn hissed, causing the dwarf to jump a little. "Lower your axe."

"They have feelings, my friend.” Legolas said, his focus turning to the massive trees around us. “The Elves began it: waking up the trees, teaching them to speak."

"Talking trees.” Gimli grumbled, walking closer to the rest of us. “What do trees have to talk about, hmm? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings."

"Aragorn, nad no ennas!" Legolas exclaimed, walking further ahead and causing us to follow after him. I wondered what it was that Legolas saw, but I did not wonder for long. The elf stopped suddenly, his body going stiff.

"Man cenich?" Aragorn breathed.

"The White Wizard approaches." The statement caused the rest of us to go rigid. Saruman was here. Had he captured the hobbits? Were they being tortured now, in the tower of Orthanc? Or had they already been slaughtered, after Saruman discovered they did not carry the ring?

"Do not let him speak.” Aragorn whispered. “He will put a spell on us!" We all grasped our weapon of choice, holding our breath. "We must be quick."

In an instant we spun; turning to face the blinding light emanating off of the White Wizard. Gimli sent a throwing axe hurdling towards the light but it was swiftly deflected, along with Legolas’ arrow. In synchronization, the swords both Aragorn and I were wielding became scorching hot; causing us to drop them and become defenseless.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits." Saruman said; and I shuddered at his authority.

"Where are they?" Aragorn hissed.

"They passed this way, the day before yesterday.” He replied, his voice almost bored. “They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?"

"Who are you?” Aragorn commanded. I carefully withdrew one of my daggers, prepared to attack. “Show yourself!"

The light slowly faded; and the dagger slipped from my hand onto the ground. My eyes were stuck open in awe; the sight before me impossible. It was Gandalf. His hair and beard were no longer grey, as his robes had been; but all were now a striking white.

"It cannot be!" Aragorn breathed, evoking only a smile out of the wizard.

"Forgive me.” Legolas breathed, kneeling down out of respect. Gimli did the same, and I lowered myself onto the ground. “I mistook you for Saruman."

"I am Saruman.” He said simply as we rose. “Or rather Saruman as he should have been."

"You fell!" Aragorn said in disbelief, edging closer.

"Through fire. And water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.” His eyes glazed over as the memories became words. “Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as the life age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done."

"Gandalf!" I whispered happily; my eyes welling up with tears.

"Gandalf? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name."

"Gandalf!" Gimli mimicked my euphoria at the return of someone familiar in this alienating time.

"I am Gandalf the White." He corrected. "And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."

I couldn’t help myself. One moment I was watching the four of my companions converse. The next, I was pushing past them all until I was close enough to wrap my arms around the wizard’s middle. He chuckled, encasing me in his arms. When I pulled away he held me at arm’s length, a look of disappointment crept over his face. He replaced it rapidly with happiness, releasing me and leading us away.

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins.” Gandalf said as we trekked through the forest. I struggled to keep up, cursing my faltering lungs for being so weak. “War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras?” Gimli complained. “That is no short distance!"

"We hear of trouble in Rohan.”Aragorn said, walking along the wizard. The horses continued to trail after us as we followed our new leader. “It goes ill with the king."

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured."

"Then we have run all this way for nothing?” Gimli exclaimed. “Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested…" He was cut off by the low rumbling of the trees, which stopped him short. "I mean charming, quite charming forest."

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years.” Gandalf explained. “The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend." Aragorn said.

"Hmm?"

"You still speak in riddles." He teased, evoking laughter out of us all. It was so good to have him back.

"A thing is about to happen here that has not happened since the Elder Days.” Gandalf stated. “The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."

"Strong?” Gimli was suddenly happy once more. “Oh, that's good."

"So stop your fretting Master Dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be."

"This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one." He grumbled.

I followed alongside Legolas as we came closer and closer to the bright light of day. I had never been in a war before; in fact, the closest thing I had ever come to one was the battles we’d had on the journey so far. I thought also of Éomer, the soldiers in his company that had been banished were more than likely the city’s only defense. It was nearly unfathomable; this grand adventure I’d been swept into. It lightened my heart; the hobbits were safe, and perhaps I would have a part in the great story of our time.

At last we reached the end of Fangorn; bursting out into the plains of Rohan once more. The sun was bright against our eyes, which had grown accustomed to the darkness of the forest. I looked at the two horses we had, and realized that there were not enough to carry us all, and I had not yet found Feredir. Gandalf whistled a two-note tune into the distance as I decided whether or not to ask to stay for a few moments longer.

There was a neigh in the distance, and across the plains came galloping a horse. It was bright white and beautiful, its mane dancing through the air as it slowly trotted up to Gandalf. It nuzzled up against the wizard’s hands and the bond they shared was apparent.

"That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas said in disbelief. His emotion washed over me as I believed it to be true. The Mearas were known as the mightiest breed of horses on all of Middle Earth. It was told that the first was brought over from the West by Béma, the Huntsman of Valinor. They lived as long as men, and were extremely intelligent and strong. Their breed had only ever been ridden by the Lord of the Mark or his sons, but Gandalf had seemingly broken that tradition.

"Shadowfax." Gandalf mused, rubbing the horse’s side. "He's the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers." I shot a longing look back into the forest, deciding that if need be I would stay alone to look for Feredir. “But we are still missing one, are we not?”

“Gandalf?” I questioned, confused by his statement. He simply smiled, nodding to the left of where we stood. Out of the forest trotted my horse, my oldest friend; Feredir. I cried out, running to him and wrapping my arms around his neck. I held him tighter than I ever had before, tangling my fingers in his mane. He had no saddle or bridle or stirrups; so he knelt down on his front leg to make getting on easier. I laughed, lifting my leg over and keeping my hold on his mane. Everyone was ready and we took off for Edoras.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah I know this is short.

Chapterly lawl: Orly's lovely ears