Status: complete

Thalion Faer, Doltha Hún

The Council of Elrond

I wandered out of my room, wondering how Feredir was doing. I had yet to check up on him, but in my heart I knew it was not necessary. He would be perfectly safe and content in the little meadow. I looked up at the sun that was beaming high in the sky, wondering how it would be when I returned to Gondor.

“Vanya,” Boromir called from behind me. I turned to face him, raising my eyebrows to show I heard him. “The council is starting.”

“Well, go on then.” I laughed, but his eyebrows only furrowed.

“You mean not to come?” He asked.

“It is not a matter which I have a say in.” I explained. “It is a council meant for princes and kings and soldiers and important folk of Middle Earth. Not I.”

“Elrond would be mad not to include you in such an affair. Had you not said you lived amongst him for years?” He challenged.

“That does not mean I get to decide what the outcome is of such a matter.” I laughed. He frowned slightly, beckoning me to follow him. I sighed, shaking my head but following him nonetheless. He led me to the courtyard where a series of chairs were placed in a circle around a pedestal. There were people already sitting down: Dwarves, Elves, and Men alike. Lord Elrond was waiting at the entrance, and Boromir made a clear path towards him.

“Boromir, son of Denethor. Welcome.” He said. Boromir bowed slightly, although reluctantly.

“Lord Elrond,” I began before Boromir could speak. “He simply thinks I should be allowed into this meeting, but I have assured him it is not an inconvenience for me to miss it.”

“I see no reason why you should not be a part of this.” Elrond replied, smiling. “Now come, let us begin.” He added, gliding down the stairs and taking his spot on the head chair. Boromir smirked at me, a triumphant smirk. I followed him to the circle of chairs, taking my seat beside him, and a seat away from Aragorn.

“Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor." Elrond began, summoning all to end their personal conversations amongst one another. All eyes focused on the Elf, listening intently. "Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall." He announced gravely. "Each race is bound to this fate — this one doom…Bring forth the Ring, Frodo." Elrond instructed, gesturing to the pedestal in the middle of the circle.

Frodo reluctantly got up from his chair, taking slow and careful steps forward. He could feel everyone’s eyes on him, no doubt, but something greater seemed to be weighing down on his mind. He hesitated upon reaching the pedestal, reaching into his breast pocket and removing the small golden ring; the penultimate evil. His hand lowered the metal circle onto the pedestal, and he quickly retreated back beside Gandalf as the whispers began.

“So it is true…” Boromir whispered from beside me. I looked at the ring, and frowned slightly. I heard…whispers. Whispers in a dark voice, a taunting tone almost, saying my name. Vanya, it called, Vanya e Veelathan. Boromir rose from his seat, his eyes glued to the ring. "In a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark. But in the West a pale light lingered. A voice was crying: 'Your doom is near at hand.'"

His hand hovered closer and closer to the ring, and my heart began to speed. I saw Gandalf exchange a worried glance with Elrond, but I dismissed their worry. Boromir would not, could not be so foolish or weak as to take the ring. Least of all in a place like this. But still, I edged forward in my seat, wishing he would return.

“Isildur’s bane is found…” He breathed, fingers inches from the ring.

“Boromir!” Elrond cried out, leaping to his feet. Suddenly the sun was choked out by dark clouds, and Gandalf’s voice rang loud in the air. It rang, like an echo in a deep mine. It was a terrible thing to witness.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!" Thunder cracked in the sky with the final syllable, and the fear seemed to be mimicked in everyone’s hearts. Gandalf exhaled deeply, as if uttering the inscription on the ring was a tiresome task.

"Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris!" Lord Elrond said, clearly overwhelmed by the situation thus far.

"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West!" Gandalf said, his voice raspy and rough from the black speech. He sat down, tired. “The ring is altogether evil.”

"It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor." Boromir exclaimed, missing Gandalf’s glare. I sighed, hearing his words. I suddenly did not wish to be part of this council, for it seemed only war would come from it; war amongst ourselves. "Why not use this Ring?" Boromir asked the council, getting up from his seat and beginning to pace. "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!"

"You cannot wield it! None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master." Aragorn protested. Boromir’s head turned to face him, his eyes narrowing slightly.

"And what would a ranger know of this matter?" Boromir growled.

“Boromir.” I hissed, my eyebrows furrowing at his snide remark. I did not understand why he was so easily angered.

"This is no mere ranger.” Legolas exclaimed, standing up abruptly and glaring at Boromir. “He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." At this, almost all of the council, including myself, turned to look at Aragorn in wonder. He was the last surviving heir to the king.

"Aragorn? This… is Isildur's heir?" Boromir breathed in disbelief.

“And heir to the throne of Gondor.” Legolas growled. I looked at Aragorn with a mixture of disbelief and admiration. He was my king, the king of my city. He looked wearily from me to Legolas, and raised his hand for the Elf to stop.

“Havo dad, Legolas.” He instructed. Sit down. There was a moment of silence before Boromir walked slowly back to his chair beside me.

“Gondor has no king.” He said sternly. “Gondor needs no king.”

“Boromir!” I hissed again, burning my eyes into his. He looked back at me, but there was only hatred in his eyes. It was not hatred for me, I knew that, but it was a hatred I could have never imagined him harbouring.

“Aragorn is right, we cannot use it.” Gandalf said. Boromir sighed angrily beside me, seething. It pained me, to see such a side of him. Part of me wanted to rise and desert this council, leave them to their own discussion.

“You have only one choice.” Elrond stated. “The ring must be destroyed.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” A dwarf growled, hopping off his chair and grabbing his axe. He approached the pedestal and brought down his axe so hard against the ring I imagined it would be in fragments. In an instant, there was a loud clang and the dwarf was sent flying onto his back. His kinsmen gathered around to help him while the rest of us looked on in wonder. I caught Frodo wince in pain, and meant to go over to him, but Boromir held me back. I looked over at him and saw that his anger seemed to be dissipating. He had a look bordering an apology in his eyes.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Glóin, by any craft that we here possess.” Elrond began, and I looked at the ring that was unscathed, and the shattered remnants of Gimli’s axe surrounding it. “The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came." There was an unsteady silence as we all realized what he was referring to. "One of you must do this."

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland. Riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!" Boromir exclaimed. I looked over at Frodo, his eyes focused on some thought in his mind. As the council droned on I recognized something. The same thing he was coming to understand in his own mind.

"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The Ring must be destroyed!" Legolas exclaimed, getting to his feet and glaring at Boromir once more.

“And I suppose you think you’re the one to do it!” Gimli protested.

"And if we fail, what then?! What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?!" Boromir cried, also rising.

"I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" Gimli exclaimed, which caused an uproar to spawn between the Elves and the Dwarves. "Never trust an Elf!"

“How can you be so ignorant?” I asked Gimli. “We are supposed to be working together to cure ourselves of this evil, and you dare refuse the only help we have?”

"Do you not understand that while we bicker amongst ourselves, Sauron's power grows?! None can escape it! You'll all be destroyed!" Gandalf added.

“You all?” Boromir growled. “If you are mighty enough to escape Sauron’s power then why do you not carry out the deed yourself?” Boromir challenged.

“I will take it!” I heard Frodo call. In an instant my anger was gone, and I looked over at the weary hobbit. His voice was not loud enough to penetrate the whispers of the ring that I could hear. I pushed them away, tugging at Boromir’s arm for him to stop. “I will take it!” Frodo cried, louder this time. Everyone began to settle down, looking at this hobbit incredulously; doubting him. “I will take the ring to Mordor…Though—I do not know the way.”

"I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear." Gandalf announced, walking over to the hobbit and placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. Frodo looked significantly less worried, but still scared all the same.

"If by my life or death, I can protect you, I will." Aragorn announced, reminding me that he was in fact present. He wandered over to Frodo, kneeling before him. “You have my sword.” He added, pledging his allegiance to Frodo. It moved me, and I realized this was in fact what Elrond had hoped for when calling the council. I smiled at the hobbit, walking towards him.

“Vanya!” Boromir hissed, meaning to stop me.

“What?” I whispered, shrugging my shoulders. “And mine.” I said, kissing Frodo’s head and taking a stand beside Aragorn.

“And you have my bow.” Legolas said proudly, walking over beside me. I smiled at him, grasping his hand affectionately.

“And my axe.” Gimli said, waddling over to us. He grudgingly looked up at Legolas, and huffed quietly.

"You carry the fate of us all little one.” Boromir began, walking slowly over to the Dwarf’s side. “If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done." I smiled at my friend, proud that he had decided to join me. I knew that this would be dangerous, but in a sense I was merely detouring on my route home. Mordor was across from my city.

“Hey!” I heard Sam call from behind some plants, and watched as he rushed to Frodo’s side. “Mr. Frodo isn’t going anywhere without me.”

"No indeed, it is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not." Lord Elrond mused happily.

“Oi!” Merry’s voice called from the distance. He and Pippin poked their heads out from behind some columns and came running to join Frodo. “We’re coming too! You'd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us!"

"Anyway you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest… thing." Pippin said proudly. Legolas and I exchanged a questioning look before laughing lightly.

"Well that rules you out Pip." Merry said to his companion.

"Ten companions… So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!" Lord Elrond exclaimed happily.

“Great.” Pippin mused. “So…Where are we going?”