Girl I Know

Chapter 2

“What the hell was that?” I heard him say before bending down and lifting the skirt that covered the bottom of the bunk that I was hiding under. I nervously put my finger up to my lip when I saw his face as a means of asking him to be quiet.

He closed his eyes and I could tell he was mentally cursing himself for what he was about to do. I watched as he looked around to make sure the coast was clear before he grabbed my arm and pulled me out from underneath the bunk and shoved me into it. Quickly, he climbed in after me and pulled the curtain closed.

“What the fuck....are you crazy?” he said in a loud whisper.

“Please, Lyric, I’m begging you. Don’t tell anyone I’m here” My cousin wasn’t the most upstanding citizen and it was only until Jonnie came into his life did he start to change his ways.

“Mel, this is wrong on so many levels.”

“Please, please, please don’t get me in trouble” I begged. “I just want to stay for a little while to do some research for my clothing line, I wont be a problem I promise”

It was dark in the bunk, but I could tell he was tensing up. “Your father has a gun and mine has a nasty temper do you know what kind of trouble I could get into?”

“I know, but I promise I’ll make it up to you. Just cover for me please.”

He moved his hands up to cover his face and then sighed before putting them back down. “I have a feeling I am going to regret this.”

“Thank you!” I was so relieved that I nearly pissed myself. “I really have to pee” I said to him pleading for him to find a way to get me to bathroom.

“Jesus Christ! Wait here!” he moved the curtain back and got out of the bunk to make sure the hall was clear. A few seconds later, he waved me past him to the bathroom and waited for me to come back. When I did, I quickly got back in the bunk before anyone could see me.

“You stay here and do not come out for any reason.” He warned before walking away. When the sound of his footsteps became faint, I breathed a sigh of relief. I was safe…for now anyways.

4 hours later the curtain opened again. Lyric climbed half way into the bunk and started shuffling things around in an attempt to pretend he was looking for something.

“We’re stopping to eat. What do you want?” he asked impatiently.

“Um grilled cheese and fries” he shook his head in disbelief that he was hiding me from the rest of the band as well as my father and his. I knew this was going to cost me one hell of a favor one day.

When it sounded like everyone was off the bus, I took my time alone to use the bathroom again and when I came back out, I went back into the bunk and called my mother to let her know where I was or should I say where I wanted her to think I was.

“Melody?” I heard her say my name on the other end of the phone and I could tell by the tone of her voice that I was in for it.

“Hi Mom”

“Don’t hi Mom me. Do you know how pissed off your father is right now?” I rolled my eyes and tried to sound sorry.

“I’m sorry, I really wanted to see my friends from school and I knew dad wouldn’t let me go. Please don’t be mad, I promise I’m not doing anything that would get me in trouble and I’ll be home soon.”

I could hear her huff on the other end of the phone. “Melody, we are going to have a serious talk when you get back. All three of us because there are going to have to be some ground rules in this house. Do you understand me?”

“Yes, Mom”

“Fine, I have to go call your father. You better behave yourself and you better call me at least twice a week”

“I will mom, love you!”

“Love you too, bye”

She hung up and I had one parent down, now if I could only avoid Dad for two months.

Meanwhile…. at the diner…

They sat at two separate tables, at one table sat Matt, Brian, Zacky, Jimmy & Johnny and at the table behind them sat Lyric, Blade, Legend and Dante the band’s bass player. Legend had agreed to fill in on drums for Scott the band’s drummer who broke his leg two weeks before the tour started.

From where he sat Lyric could here a disgruntled Brian on the phone with his wife who was explaining to him that she just spoke to Melody and that she was fine. He could hear him mumble something about bars and guns and nearly choked on his burger. When he finally put the phone down, Lyric listened as Brian explained the situation to Matt, Zacky, Jimmy and Johnny.

“So, my charming daughter decided to run away to San Francisco again” Brian started to say as he adorned his burger with lettuce, tomato and ketchup before putting on the top bun and continuing to speak. “She left a note and said she was going to visit friends and she would be home soon.”

“You’re going to kill her aren’t you?” Matt said

“You have no idea.”

“Give the kid a break, at least she left a note” Jimmy couldn’t help, but point out.

“My daughter is not the most responsible kid in the world. I swear to God, she is never going to be allowed out of the house again when she gets home. It’s taking all the strength I have in me to sit here and not get on a plan to San Fran and strangle her.”

“See, I’m not the only crazy father” Johnny pointed out to everyone who would listen, but they just looked at him and rolled their eyes.

When they were all almost finished eating, Lyric ordered Melody’s food figuring everyone would be done by the time the waitress brought it back.

“Hungry much?” Blade said.

“I’m just getting something for later just incase” he was quick with the answer so as not to draw attention to the fact that he was bringing food back to the bus for their little stow away.

“It’s not like we aren’t going to stop again”

“Yeah, well like I said, just in case”

“Whatever” Blade rolled his eyes and went outside to smoke a cigarette.

It was cloudy and damp outside like it was last night when he had to say goodbye to Melody. He knew how hard it was going to be and was grateful for the fact that they never started a relationship in the short time she was home before he left. He told her that she should date other people while he was gone and not wait for him because the truth of the matter was that his band came first. Yes, he led her on and he tried to let her down easy, but it didn’t work. She was beyond hurt and refused to speak to him for the rest of the night. The last thing she said to him was “Fuck You”
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you get when you have 2 bands on tour for 2 months with every possible distraction?

a)Infidelity...
b)arrested
c)high
d)all of the above

What do you get when 2 bands on tour for 2 months come home?

a) a paternity suit
b) a divorce
c) put in a coma
d) all of the above