Girl I Know

Chapter 30

The courtroom 9:20am

Court would begin at 9:30 and Brian sat there in the front row waiting for the judge to take the bench and open the white envelope that held his future inside. Under normal circumstances, Matt would be sitting beside him for support, but due to his house arrest, Brian sat alone.

He didn’t her the door open behind him as his gaze was focused on the wooden bench in front of him. He never paid any mind to the clicking of heels as they walked up to the row where he sat. When the sound of the heels stooped at his row, he kept his head straight but moved his eyes so he could see a pair of very high red shiny heels, the kind that screamed “fuck me.”

The shoes, from what he could see were attached to a pair of thin, toned legs and when those legs moved and walked towards him he still kept his head facing forward as she sat. “Great, another groupie. This is what got me in trouble in the first place” he thought to himself hoping this would be over soon.

He sat there returning his eyes to the bench as the judge appeared and when the judge sat down and looked at Brian, the girl sitting next to him moved her arm and took his hand in hers giving it a light squeeze. When he looked down at her hand he didn’t need to see her face to know who was sitting next to him.

Brian let out a breath as his emotions started to get the best of him. “Angel” he whispered unable to find his voice as he laced her fingers with his. She said nothing in response, but the hand she extended to him spoke volumes.

“This court is now called to order” the judge spoke and Brian hung on his every word.

“We are here to discuss the matter of Courtland vs. Haner.” Stormy turned her head to the side to look at the bimbo who had caused Brian to be here. She sat snapping her gum and twirling her bleach blonde hair in her fingers while the judge continued and Stormy just rolled her eyes.

“The plaintiff has petitioned this court for child support pending a paternity test and in this envelope I have the results of said paternity test.”

Everyone was silent and watched intently as the judge opened the sealed envelope. Brian had not once been able to look at Stormy; too afraid he would loose his cool in front of her at the one time he needed to remain collected.

They watched as the judge read the contents of the envelope and then looked back and forth between Brian and the bimbo.

“The results of the paternity test show that by 99.9% the child carried by Ms. Cortland is of no biological relation to Mr. Haner”

Brian squeezed Stormy’s hand and let out another breath, while the bimbo was up in arms on the other side of the courtroom.

“Mr. Haner, it is the ruling of this court that you have no obligation to the child, you are free to go”

Stormy stood up first and never let go of Brian’s hand. As she turned she saw the bimbo arguing with her attorney and stifled a laugh as she led Brian out of the courtroom. When the two wooden doors closed behind them, they stood alone in the hallway of the courthouse; it was then that he finally looked at her.

“I can’t believe you’re here” he said overcome with emotion.

“Believe it” she smiled.

“Can we go somewhere and talk?” he asked hopeful that this wasn’t going to end in the hallway of the courthouse.

“Yeah, but what about my car?”

“Leave it, I can drive you back to it later”

“Ok” she nodded.

“Nice shoes” he winked and they walked hand in hand down the hall of the building. Behind them they could hear the blonde bimbo ranting and raving about the test being fixed.

He led her to his car and opened the door for her. When she got inside and he closed the door, Stormy knew that they didn’t have to say another word to each other, he would be coming home and sleeping in their bed tonight.