Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 9.

It’s been a week since the night in Nick’s car. I’ve been steadily distancing myself from both John and Nick, trying to make a decision. I’ve only gotten about forty texts and calls from Nick. John has left me multiple messages on my voicemail, Facebook, and email. Both boys have attempted coming over but I didn’t answer the door and when Josh was around, I’d have him say that I was with Jess or wanted to sleep alone.

I still didn’t know what to do. I was waiting for the time when John would come, forcibly, into my room and prove that he was what I wanted, not Nick. And He would make everything normal, forgive me for sleeping with Nick, and I could be happy. But the days went on and neither one of them did that. I was losing hope.

One morning, things changed.

“Miri,” I felt a nudge.
“Miiiiri,” The voice said again.
I groaned, turning onto my stomach.
As soon as he laughed, I knew who it was, “Miri, get up.”
I shot up, not yet wanting to face him.
“Miri, please look at me,” He begged.
I shook my head. It was then, when faced with the situation, that I realized he was not who I wanted to come to me.
“Why not?” By the sound of his voice, I could tell there was a frown on his face.
I turned to face him, now recognizing the fact that my hair was a bird’s nest, I was barely wearing any clothes and I know I looked like a mess. But none of this matter to me, I wasn’t trying to impress him.

“John,” I spoke, leaning back against my headboard, “We need to talk.”
John sighed, his stiff posture now slouching. He glanced down at me glumly.
I patted my bed, willing him to take a seat.
He shook his head, “I don’t want to hear this, Miri,” He turned on his heels, walking towards my door.
“John, don’t go,” I begged.
He stopped in his tracks and spoke with his back to me, “Why? So I can be dumped in my soon to be ex girlfriend’s room? I don’t think so, Miri. Have fun with the rest of your life.”
With that, John closed the door behind him. He didn’t slam it like I had expected; gently, the door clicked shut.

I humphed, Staring down at my hands on my laps. What have I done?
I just turned John away. I just turned away a great guy that cared for me unconditionally. But it wasn’t right. When I heard his voice, it wasn’t the one I wanted. I groaned, getting off my bed, tears beginning to form in the corner of my eyes. I stumbled down the hall and to the living room where Josh was.
I stood there in the doorway, looking at Josh.

He looked up at me briefly, “So?”
I took a deep breath and let it all out, “I want to go to San Francisco.”


Josh was a little disappointed that I didn’t wasn't going to go on their first real tour with them, but I needed to physically get away from everything so I can make a real decision.

“Dad?” I asked the man on the other line of the phone call.
“Miriam?” He was surprised.
“Dad! I miss you!”
He chuckled, “Well it’s been almost four years since I’ve seen you, deary. How has Arizona been lately?”
I sighed, “That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”
“What is it, pumpkin?”
“I was wondering if I could visit. Not only do I miss you but I need to get away from here for a little whit,” I bit my lip, anticipating his next words.
“Are you in trouble?” He worried.
I shook my head, even though I knew he couldn’t hear me, “No, it’s a long story but I have to choose between these two guys and I feel like they keep pressuring me. I think that if I get away, I can make a true decision.”
He understood, “Sounds great darling! Now you can meet Petunia, Gracie and Georgie.”
“Who?” I stuttered.
“Oh! You know, my new family!”
My eyes bugged out, “Oh, right, almost forgot!”
He let out a hearty laugh, “I’ll buy your plane tickets for…this weekend? I’ll see you soon, dear!”

I smiled, snapping my phone shut and placing it down on my bed. I was going to get away.


“I don’t want you to leeeave! You were supposed to go on tour! Now we are stuck with that prick eater, Taylor,” Jess almost sobbed.
I giggled a bit, “I love you guys so much.”
“Miriiiiii,” John Gomez whined.
I laughed again, embracing them both in tight hugs before moving to John’s brother, Stephen. I moved on to Brian and then my cousin.
“I’ll miss you Miri,” Josh mumbled into my hair.
I sighed, frowning slightly, “I’ll miss you too Joshy. It won’t be forever though, and I’ll see you guys in San Fran!”
They nodded glumly.

I rolled my eyes, “Come on, you big babies. Group hug.”
They perked up a little as they all surrounded me at once, nearly suffocating me, but I didn’t mind.
“Where’s Kenny and them?” I asked no one in particular.
“Hmm..I don’t know. OH! Here they come!” Jess pointed towards the end of the parking lot where a white van entered, nearing us quickly.

Sooner than later, four perky yet disappointed boys debarked from the van and there was one indifferent boy…
“Miriii, I will miss you!” Kennedy was the first one to swallow me up in a hug.
He kissed the top of my head lightly before whispering, “Good luck in San Francisco, can’t wait til we play there.”
I smiled, “I’ll miss you too Kenny.”
Pat was next, then Jared and Garrett. John was the only one left and he wouldn’t come anywhere near me.

“John,” I said, coming towards him. He was separated from the rest of the group.
He wouldn’t look at me, but he didn’t move.
“John please,” I pleaded.
He looked up at me with more hurt than I had ever seen, “What?” He spat.
I was taken aback by his anger, “I-I just wanted to say that I’m going to miss you.”
He scoffed.
I rolled my eyes, “Really John? You know I’m only going so I can make up my mind about all of this shit. I need to get away from the environment.”
His anger softened but he was still hurt, “I love you, Miri.”
I nodded, “I love you too, just let me make up my mind, okay?”
Unhappily, he nodded as well, finally embracing me in a hug.

After a while of repeated goodbyes, I headed off with The Summer Set to the airport. I couldn’t wait to get away.


“Here we are!” My dad sang, turning into a large driveway of an even larger house.
It was a nice, big, yellow house with extremely green grass and I could see a pool in the backyard. The house was three stories high and I couldn’t wait to see inside.
I gaped, “It’s a beautiful house, dad.”
He smiled, “Thanks munchkin. Let’s get you inside!”

We grabbed my bags and carried them up to the house.
“I’m home with Miriam!” My dad called, upon entering the house.
The inside was even better. It had a bunch of vintage paintings hanging around and vintage furniture. I wanted to stay here forever.

“Scott?” I heard a woman’s voice call out.
“Petty, come meet my daughter, Miriam,” My dad yelled back.

Soon, a short, brunette woman appeared. She wore loose-fitting, light wash denim jeans and a dark red tank top.
“Hi, you must be Miriam!”
I smiled at her, “Call me Miri.”
“Well you can call me Petunia! Or Petty or Nia, whatever you see best fit.” Petunia smiled graciously at me.
She was a nice, pretty woman and I was glad that dad found someone to be happy with.

“Come ‘ere Miri, let me show you where your room is,” My dad ascended up the stairs, leaving me to follow behind.
I waved at Petunia before tagging along.

“You’ll be sharing a room with Gracie,” My dad spoke, turning his head so I could hear him better.
Instantly, I thought of Nick’s Gracie, the one that I didn’t like, thankful that she didn’t live here.

We reached the top of the stairs that seemed to stretch on forever.
The hallway was long and the walls were painted a grayish color. There was a long, off-white rug rolled down the extent of the floor, which was a light colored wood.
There were a few photographs hanging on the walls. One was a portrait of Petunia and my dad, she was sitting and he stood behind her with his hands on her shoulders. Another was an action shot. It showed a cute looking dirty blond boy kicking a soccer ball. There were a few baby portraits of the boy and a girl, whom I assumed was Gracie. But that was all.

“Here it is!” My dad grinned as he reached a dark red painted door that didn’t match the rest of the doors.
My dad stopped before knocking and instead, turned to me, “Just to warn you, Gracie likes to be different. She has all these hipster friends. Don’t mind her.”
I nodded.

My dad knocked, “Gracie?”
I heard heavy footsteps, “Hold on.”
Shortly the door opened. When I saw the blond girl behind it, my heart sank and my jaw dropped.

“Hey, Miri, right?”
♠ ♠ ♠
The chapter title is from the song San Francisco by Scott McKenzie.

Ooooh what's this chick gonna be like?

I love you all for commenting/subscribing ( I just wish more subscribers would comment ). HOWEVER, This is only the 9th chapter and I have 32! Subscribers!!! My Garrett story ended with 21 chapters and ONLY 27 Subscribers, so thank you guys <3