Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 17.

“Here we are, good old Joplin,” Chris was smug as he opened the driver side door for himself.
I opened my door as well and stood up, looking around at the sun coming up behind the trees and the grass that was so green, nothing at all like where I lived in Arizona. The trees were lush with bright green leaves and colorful flowers, much like the garden in front of Chris’s house.

“Mom! We’re home!” Chris called into the house after opening the door.
A short, brown haired woman appeared in the doorway, smiling with a bag in her hands.
She smiled widely at me, “Come in you two,” then she opened the door, holding it for the both of us.
I thanked her quietly and we all stood there for a moment, sort of awkwardly.
“So, you’re Miriam?” Chris’s mother asked with the same smile on her face.
I nodded, “Call me Miri,” I held out my hand for her to shake and she took it graciously.
“Wow Chris, you never mentioned how gorgeous she was,” She said to her son, causing me to blush.
Chris shrugged, “I wanted to surprise you.”
The woman chuckled, “I’m Nancy, it’s very nice to meet you, Miri.”
I continued blushing, “Nice to meet you too. Thank you so much for letting me stay here.”
She waved me off, “No problem, dear. Now who wants some of the cookies I made?”

I giggled as she headed off towards the kitchen. I never pictured Christofer’s mother to be so traditional. I guess I could get used to this.


I was drowning, slowly but surely, in Vodka and pomegranate juice. The concoction now only swirled around in my mind. I could barely see ten feet in front of me. This behavior wasn’t me and I loved it. I felt so fantastic. I could barely even remember my own name or what I was doing around these people that I had never met in my entire life. Then Chris’s face popped up and I recognized him almost immediately.
“Miri, darling,” Chris spoke. His words slurred together in my mind so I could just barely make them out.
I looked up at him, my eyes big and bloodshot.
“Whoa,” He chuckled, “Let’s get you to bed.”

I protested as best I could at first but eventually, my energy escaped me. I let Chris lift me up and carry me up the stairs. He basically threw me down on the bed before grabbing a big, red bong that sat on the dresser in the room. Before I knew it, the room was clouded with smoke, making it even more difficult to see and it kept getting worse. The smoke eventually started to clear and as it did, I realized that he had turned off the lights. I closed my eyes as I felt a pain in my sides. I wasn’t sure what it was but that didn’t matter because I blacked out…


I woke up completely naked in an unfamiliar room. The only thing I knew was that I was sore from the waist down.

I looked around, trying to explore my surroundings however the sharp pounding in my head interrupted my thoughts. Hangovers are the best. I looked next to me at a small table with a gigantic glass of water and three Ibuprofen pills on top of it. I quickly gulped down the pills and the water, but I didn’t leave my spot on the bed. I thought really hard as to why my lower half would hurt so bad and why I was alone and naked. Now I was scared. I had seen way too many episodes of Law & Order: SVU. Had I been raped? This could not be possible. The last person I remember seeing was Chris, coated by a layer of smoke. I gave up and finally found the guts to sit up.

The headache was still bad but I fought it as I stood up off of the bed.
I wanted to shout for Chris, to find out where he was. Instead, I found my way out of the room and down the hall. I opened one of the random doors. There was someone lying on a bed.

“Hello?” I asked, keeping my body in the doorway.
The body turned over and I instantly recognized the boy.
“Nathan?” I smiled as best as I could and neared the bed.
Nathan was instantly taken a back, “Miri, why are you naked?”
I blushed, looking down at my pale, thin body, “Whoops, I forgot.”
He shook his head, “No worries.” He went straight for the dresser and pulled out boxers and a t-shirt. Nathan threw them to me and I instantly put them on.

“How did you get those bruises?” Nathan asked, once I was dressed and lying next to him in the bed.
I looked at him funny, “What bruises?”
“The ones on your waist,” Nathan said, pointing to the area.
I lifted up the white t-shirt so I could see for myself.

There were collections of bruises on either side of my waist as if something or someone was holding me down.
I looked up at Nathan and I must have looked scared because his expression became worried and he pulled me into a hug, “What happened?”
I shrugged, “I don’t know, I blacked out last night.”
“Do you remember anything?” Nathan asked, rubbing his hands up and down my back.
“All I remember is Chris and marijuana smoke in the bedroom where I woke up,” I sighed, feeling helpless.
Nathan was silent, trying to think of what could have happened, “Where is Chris?”
I shrugged, “He wasn’t there when I woke up. All I found was Ibuprofen and water.”
“Hmm,” Nathan sighed, running a hand through his brown hair, “Where the hell did he go?”
I whimpered into Nathan’s neck, “I don’t know but I’m scared, Nathan.”
He sighed again, keeping his hands running up and down my back, “We’ll figure it out, don’t worry.”

We never figured it out.


It’s been about a month since the first bruises showed up. This probably should have stopped me from going to parties and getting wasted, but it didn’t. I kept going and the bruises were still there, growing in the same spot, darkening slowly.

It was the morning after a calm, quiet night in my bed not intoxicated, when I realized that the cause of these bruises couldn’t be good.

I wiped my mouth off as I left the bathroom, “Chris?”
“Yeah sweetheart?” He met me by the door to my room.
“There’s something wrong with me,” I realized I hadn’t spoken of the bruises to him before. In fact, the last time I talked about them was with Nathan when he first noticed them.
He raised an eyebrow, “What is it, darling?”
He placed his hands on either side of my waist, touching the bruises lightly, making me wince in pain.
Slowly, I lifted my shirt up halfway, enough so he could see the dark bruises on my hips.
His jaw fell open and lightly, he ran his fingers over the bruises, “How did this happen?”
I shrugged, letting my shirt fall down, “I think that someone’s been having unprotected sex with me because I just threw up…It’s been four weeks since the bruises first appeared and I'm late...” I didn’t want to think like this, it made me even sicker.
“You knew about this for a month and you didn’t tell me?” Chris was taken aback.
I shook my head, “I didn’t want to say anything unless it was serious. I was planning on waiting a month. I’m late AND I’m puking. This is not good.”
“You think you’re pregnant? Wait, if that’s the case then where do the bruises come in?” Chris was super confused.
I gulped, feeling insecure about what I planned on saying next, “I think someone was holding me down really strongly, because not only do I get the bruises but I’m always sore down there.”
Chris’s arms wrapped around me, “We will get you checked out Miri, don’t worry about a thing.”
“What if I’m pregnant, Chris? What am I going to do?” I was starting to feel distressed.
He sighed, pulling fingers through his long hair, “Let’s worry about that when we find out.”
I nodded, agreeing silently.

What was I going to do?


“Can you find out who the father is?” I asked the doctors after they had told me that I was indeed pregnant.
The doctor shrugged, “It’s possible but usually causes harm to the baby.”
I sighed, I didn’t want this baby, “I want to get an abortion.”
The doctor nodded, “If that’s the case, then you will have to get that done soon.”
I agreed before thanking her and meeting Chris in the lobby.

“I’m getting an abortion,” I told him as soon as he asked what was going on.
“What? You can’t do that,” Chris whined.
I rolled my eyes, “I don’t know who the father is, Chris. I’m not ready to have a baby, especially without a father.
Chris sighed, knowing my decision was final, “Let’s get home.”


There was a party going on now. Chris warned me about something to do with my family but I’ve long since forgotten what he told me and I was busy telling Nathan about the days events.

“So I don’t know who I had unprotected sex with, but I’m pregnant and I’m getting an abortion,” I told him, rather loudly.
I was drunk, I wasn’t aware of my surroundings.
Nathan was surprised, this much I was certain, “Miri, that’s crazy.”
I nodded and continued to look around while Nathan began talking at me.

I noticed a familiar red head boy next to an also familiar blond haired boy. They were watching me and honestly they were freaking me out. I knew who they were; I just couldn’t put my finger on it. They were so familiar.
“Miri,” Nathan snapped in my face.
I drew away from him, suddenly scared.
“You’re spacing out, you should get some sleep,” Nathan suggested.
I shrugged, yawning loudly.
“Nathan,” I heard the red haired boy speak.
“Oh, hey guys, what’s up?” Nathan greeted both of them with a half hug.
“Mind if I take her up?” The red head asked sheepishly.
I just stood there, watching intently. His voice was familiar too.
Nathan shrugged, gesturing towards me.

“Come on, princess,” The boy said, taking my hand and leading me away and up to my room.
“Who are you?” I asked in amazement as he lay me down on my bed.
He chuckled, “You are so drunk.”
I began to whine, “Where’s my Chris?”
The red head ignored my question and asked one of his own, “Since when are you pregnant?”
I looked at him funny, “I never told you that.”
He laughed this time, “You pretty much notified the whole party.”
I blushed, not knowing what to say.
“How did you get pregnant?” He repeated differently.
I shrugged, “I think I was raped when I was drunk.”
His eyes got wide, “What? By who?”
I shrugged once more, wishing he would stop asking so many questions, “All I ever remember is pressure on my hips and the smell of marijuana.”
The red haired boy looked down at me sadly. His hand pressed itself against my cheek and tickled me softly.

“I’m so sorry, baby girl,” He sighed, finally withdrawing his hand.
I cocked my head sideways, “For what?”
“For letting you slip away. I let you go without a fight and that wasn’t right, you deserved so much more than that. I just wanted you to be happy. Now you’re ruined,” He replied, putting his face in his hands.

In all honesty, I had no idea what he was talking about. I was too wasted to recall a thing so all I did was sigh and bring my hands up to his face.
Slowly, I pulled him down to meet my face and our lips connected. As we kissed, I tried racking my brain for any thought on who this cute redhead could be. No ideas came to mind. All that mattered then was how much he tempted me.

Suddenly, our lips broke apart and I heard yelling. I couldn’t quite make out the voices, all I knew was that I was tired and needed sleep. I turned to my side, blocked out the yelling and drifted to sleep slowly. In the back of my brain, I hoped I would see the redhead kid again; the other parts of my brain were the parts to scream the fact that I probably wouldn’t even remember talking to him. I hoped this wouldn’t be true.
♠ ♠ ♠
SO I'm not 100% okay with this chapter, but whatever, I had to write SOMETHING. I'm more excited about the next to come ^_^

I'm actually in my first period English class right now. We're going to finish watching The Kite Runner. The bell hasn't rung yet though. I have been so stressed about school, especially all of my projects and my math grade.. OH, and why is it fucking 44 degrees in the MIDDLE OF MAY?! Does this make ANY sense? I think not.

I love you all. So much <3