Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 18. -Nick's Point of View-

I left Chris’s house as angry as I’ve ever been. As soon as Miri said something about being pregnant, I knew it had to do with Chris, I just didn’t think it would be by force…

It killed me to leave Miri there all alone, but I did and there was no going back on that. I knew I was going to get her back though, whether she remembered last night or not.


Nathan was kind enough to give me a place to stay and when I woke up, I was startled to find a girl sitting across the room staring at me.

“Can I help you?” I mumbled, pulling the blankets up to my chin.
She shrugged, “Who are you?”
“Nick,” I replied, still tired.
“What are you doing here?”
“Nathan said I could crash on this bed.”
She shook her head, “This is my bed.”
I sighed, sitting up, “Sorry.”
“Don’t worry,” She said, standing up and making her way towards the bed, “We can share.”

I looked at her funny before really looking at her. She had to be related to Nathan. She was cute with long, blond-brown hair and dark brown eyes.
“What’s your name?” I asked her once she had slipped under the covers.
“Nina,” She answered, turning her back to me, yet moving much closer than I had expected.

I fought any urges I had to wrap my arm around her and instead turned away just like she had. Then I fell back asleep.


I woke up and Miri was there. She stood in the doorway and looked down at me, smiling. She wore a light blue summer dress and her blond hair flew around as if it were windy in Nathan’s sister’s room. I patted the spot next to the bed and she walked over, almost as if she were floating. She was beautiful and I loved her with every fiber of my being, whether she realized it or not.
I felt her weight on the bed and I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her as close as possible, “I love you,” I whispered softly into her neck.
“Nick,” She whispered back to me, repeating her self over and over. My name sounded so fantastic coming out of her mouth.


Something was shaking me and it woke me up.

“What the hell?” I said out loud, rubbing my head.
I looked around and saw Nina looking up at me confusedly.
“Shit,” I sighed, realizing that Miri had never been with me.
“Nick,” Nina began, “Who is Miri?”
I shrugged, “Miri might as well be a mirage to me now.”
She shook her head, “Tell me, I will listen.”

I took a deep breath and then told her everything. I told her how Miri and I met when we were merely high schoolers in Ohio. I mentioned the last night that we spent together before our long time apart. I explained how we met again, through her then boyfriend. I managed to spit out how we were before Chris arrived and how much I loved her. I said that Miri was everything to me and to see her in a situation like this was killing me inside.

Nina was a fantastic listener, “Well Chris is a grade-A douche bag.”
I looked at her, smiling slightly, “I’ve figured that out myself.”
“It’s not totally unbelievable that he would do that to someone, I mean, I used to date him,” She said shyly.
“Really?” I asked, looking down at my hands on my lap.
I saw her nodding out of the corner of my eye.
“Why?” I was genuinely curious.
She giggled, “He’s cute and honestly really sweet…when he isn’t wasted.”
I looked at her with questioning eyes.
She shrugged, “He gets pretty rough.”
I didn’t want to know more, “I want to get her out of there but I doubt she even remembers talking to me.”
Nina placed her hand on my arm. I studied her hands for a moment; her digits were long and pale with short blond hairs on the knuckles, “Don’t be so negative.”

I sighed, turning away from her hands and resting my face in mine, “I wish she didn’t chose him. I wish she just stayed around me.”
“Well,” Nina sighed, “From what you told me, it seems like she wanted exclusivity. She wanted to be your girlfriend but you didn’t ask her until she had decided to leave.”
I nodded, my head still in my hands, making my voice come out all jumbled, “I’ve since realized that. Why did I have to be so stupid?”
Her hand moved from my arm to my back and rubbed lightly and soothingly, “You just need a little advice getting her back and I think I know how to help you.”


“Are you sure about this?” I asked Nina as we got out of her black compact car.
She nodded, “Don’t be afraid, it will work.”
I nodded, taking her hand as we neared the path leading up to the house that was already teeming with shitfaced twenty-somethings.

The first face I saw when I entered was the one I thought I’d be searching for all night.
She looked at me, smugly, like she recognized me but completely forgot who I was. Then she looked to my hand, noticing the connection to another, and up at Nina.
I gave Nina a look, letting her know that this was Miri and she nodded, understanding.

We made our way over to her, “Hey Miri.”
She half smiled at me, “Hi redhead.”
Nina let out a soft chuckled, earning her a glare from Miri.
“My name is Nick…this is Nina,” I said slowly, pointing to the girl my hand locked with.
Miri looked at Nina quickly before looking back to me, “Nick?”
I nodded, starting to be afraid that she still wouldn’t remember me in her drunken state.
“I don’t want to talk to you,” She growled, sipping on the red, plastic cup in her hand and turning away.
“Miri, wait,” I said, trying to bring her back to me.
She shook her head and kept on walking away.
I looked to Nina who simply let my hand drop and nodded me off in the direction that Miri had gone.
I gave her a smile and a kiss on the cheek before I left to get my girl.

I found her in the laundry room, crying as hard as I’ve ever seen anyone cry before. The sight alone nearly broke my heart.
“Miri,” I choked out, putting a hand on her shoulder.
She jerked her self away from me.
I knew that she didn’t want me to touch her, but I wanted nothing more than to pick her up in my arms and kiss her, tell her that she was perfect for me and I love her and that I never want her to leave me again.
This was obviously not an option.

“What’s wrong?” I attempted touching her again and was not rejected this time, thankfully.
She didn’t answer she just kept crying. I took this as my opportunity. I seated myself next to her on the carpet and wrapped my arms around her thin body. I pulled her as close as I could. She shifted and pressed her head into my shoulder.
“It’s okay, Miri, everything is fine. You’re fine,” I soothed her crying that slowly died into sobs.
“No it’s fucking not,” She spat, still sobbing.
I tightened my grip around her momentarily and then loosened up again, “What’s so fucking messed up, then?”
She sighed, shakily, “Me. I’m so fucked up, Nick. Everything is screwed up. I basically betrayed my own cousin, I left everyone, I left you, I’m getting wasted every night, I’m fucking pregnant by God knows who! I don’t know what to do or who to talk to because I feel like I can’t trust anyone.”
“Well,” I began, nervously, “You can trust me.”
She looked up at me slowly. Her eyes were bloodshot and red. Her cheeks were flushed, wet, and painted with mascara. Her lips were chapped and trembling, “Can I?” She sniffled.
I nodded, “You always have me, sweet heart.”
She bit her lip and sniffled again, returning her head to its spot on my shoulder, “I love you so much, Nick.”
A smile graced my face, “I love you too, Miri, always.”
She pushed me away lightly and stood up, “I can’t do this anymore.”
She stepped around me and pushed open the door and turned left into the hall.
I watched her, dumbfounded, from my spot on the carpeted floor.

Would this ever end?
♠ ♠ ♠
OKAY SO IT'S SHORT BECAUSE IT'S NICK'S POINT OF VIEW.

*SUBTITLE: Story of A Boy by Between the Trees ;D*

So how was this? I hope it's okay! D: Let me know what you think!

Oh and I hate school, thank you. <3