Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 1.

Last year I graduated high school and ever since then, Josh’s band got popular.
Yes, Josh is in a band. With Brian, John, Stephen, and my new girl best friend, Jess. Ever since their band got bigger, I’ve been going to their shows, helping sell some merchandise with either Taylor or Dylan, other friends who qualified as their merch guys.

I haven’t seen him in over four years.

As well as Josh’s band, called The Summer Set, I’ve been getting cozy with Kennedy’s band, The Maine and the other members, and even all of their friends. I guess you could say we were all really close.

That’s where I was headed today. I was off to hang out with the lead singer of The Maine, John O’Callaghan.


“Miri,” John moaned slightly as my lips grazed his neck.
I giggled, “Morning sunshine.”
John finally peeped his eyes open and smiled at me, “I’m only sunny because you’re here.”
I scoffed, “Johnny, that was so lame.”
He winked and kissed my cheek.

John and I made out for a bit after that, him shirtless and me in my sundress. Before you go thinking the worst, John and I are not together, nor will we ever be. John and I are simply friends with benefits and we have been for two years. He might not be the man I lost my virginity to, but he was my second time.

“Okay, time to get up, rock star,” I sighed, getting up and pushing him a little.
“Oh!” John jumped up quickly, “That reminds me…”
He shuffled around his room and over to his computer sitting in the corner of his room on a desk.
“Yes?” I asked, popping up next to him and seating myself on one of his legs.
“This band messaged me on MySpace,” He explained, pulling up the browser, “Well, it’s just one guy, but he’s really good and I invited him to meet us down her in Arizona. I want to see if he messaged back. And you have to tell me what you think of him!”
I nodded, laughing at his enthusiasm, “Go ahead, Johnny Boy.”

Sure enough, he had a message from the band.
My heart jumped into my throat when I read the name.

“A-A-A Rocket to the M-Moon?” I questioned aloud.
John nodded, “Why? Do you know him?”
I gulped, nodding quickly.

My curiosity got the best of me and I read the message. It was from Nick himself. My heart was not only in my throat doing back-flips.

“John,
Thanks for the invitation! However, I’m visiting family in Ohio until mid August. Do you think it would be cool if I head down there then? I hope so. Get back to me.

Nick.”


“Miri?” John nudged me slightly, positioning me to face him.
“Yeah?”
“What’s wrong?”
I didn’t know how to answer at first. A second later, I regained my composure before clearing my throat and standing up off of John’s lap, “I have to go.”
“Where?” John whined.
I turned away from him and walked over to his door, “To Ohio.”


John was baffled by my response. I knew this because I received texts from him and just about every other one of our friends asking me where the hell I was. I guess that after I left John’s he called Josh and John to find out where I was going and then they probably called everyone else…

Anyway, it didn’t matter. That was all yesterday. Now, I was on the plane to Cincinnati. I had no idea how I would find him, but I knew that I had to.

I flashed back to the summer before I left to Arizona. Nick came to visit his family who lived next door. I met him when I was out watering my flower garden that eventually withered and died after that because I spent every waking moment with Nick after that faithful morning. I remember every detail, just as if it had happened this morning.

~~~
“Your flowers are so pretty,” The voice made me jump.
I dropped the hose and turned to face the source of the voice.

My eyes met those of a brown haired boy. He was pretty cute, to be honest.

He noticed my expression and laughed lightly, “My name’s Nick.”
“Nick.” I repeated dumbly.
He smiled again, “What’s your name?”
He came closer, down the walkway to my porch.
“My name is Miriam, but I like to be called Miri.”
Nick nodded, “That’s a cute name.”
I blushed, tucking a chunk of hair behind my ear and dragging my eyes down to meet the sight of my feet, clad in dark green Vans.

“You live here?” He was now standing just feet in front of me.
I shook my head yes.

Nick was always a bold kid. He walked even closer and invaded my personal space. He stuck a finger under my chin and tilted it up so my eyes met his chocolate orbs again.
“You have such a pretty face, I don’t think you should go wasting it on the ground,” Nick stated cutely.
My face erupted with pink.

“I’m visiting family next door,” He said after taking his finger away and pointing to the Santino’s house.
“So you’re a Santino?” I questioned.
He nodded proudly, “Definitely.”
“Where are you from then?”
“Braintree, Massachusetts,” He answered also proudly.
I scrunched up my nose, “I’ve never heard of such a place.”
Nick shrugged before scratching the back of his neck, “No one ever does.”

We studied each other for a minute.
“Do you want to hang out? I don’t really know anyone here…” Nick suggested shyly.
I smiled, nodding.
He took my hand, bringing me to the gate of the Santino house. Swiftly, he unhooked the gate and pushed it open revealing a pool and a trampoline.

~~~

That was the start of many mornings, days and nights that were to come with Nick Santino. You could say that Nick and I were a “thing” that summer. You could also say that we were in love. I can’t tell you for sure if any of that is true, but I can say that I liked him a lot and that he definitely liked me back.
The night before Nick went back to Braintree burned even deeper into my mind.

~~~
“I don’t want you to leave,” I whined, pushing my face into Nick’s chest.
Nick sighed, rubbing my back and squeezing me tightly, “I don’t want to leave.”
I shifted my head so my chin rested on his torso and my eyes met with his.
“I need to tell you something,” Nick said, coughing and looking away.
I smiled a bit before taking a finger to his cheek and tilting it to face me, “You have such a handsome face, you shouldn’t go wasting it on the wall.”
Blush crept up onto his cheeks and a smile to his lips, “Seriously though.”
I nodded, willing for him to continue.
“I don’t know how to say this. I’ve never said it to anyone…” He thought for a minute.
“Just tell me, Nick,” I said, rolling off of him and sitting up, pulling him up along with me.
He took my hands in his, never once breaking eye contact, “I think I love you, Miri.”
My jaw fell as a gasp escaped my lips, “Really?”
I didn’t know if I loved Nick. I knew I liked him a lot more than any other guy I had ever met, but love? Is that love?
“You don’t have to say you do if you don’t, I just wanted to let you know,” He stumbled over his words.

I sighed and leaned forward, kissing his lips passionately. He kissed me back and we made out for a bit.
Though, I pulled away suddenly, “Come with me.”

I dragged him down stairs and out the door, over towards my driveway.
“I’ll be right back,” I disappeared inside for a second and grabbed the keys to my mom’s little Toyota compact car.

“Really?” Nick asked after I tossed him the keys.
“You can drive,” I stated.
He nodded.

We got in the car and he revved the engine, “Where to?”
I shrugged, “Away from here.”
He smiled at me before backing out of my driveway and turning left.
It had to be at least 10PM. The darkness overwhelmed the Ohio sky and what lied beneath it.
The only light on the road besides the lamps and stoplights were our headlights.

Eventually, Nick found a park. We stopped the car and parked it in the parking lot.

I leaned over to kiss Nick’s cheek, but somehow my lips met his.
Soon, I was sitting on his lap, while our kissing continued. Clothes came off and even a few tears were shed. Nick was my first time.

~~~

“We’ve arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio, Ladies and gentlemen,” The pilot spoke, bringing me out of my flashback.
Suddenly, nerves over came my body.
The plane landed, we debarked from the plane and I picked up my luggage from the carrier and I was off to find a way home.


I sat there, outside of my old house on the curb. I noticed two cars outside of the Santino house, knowing one of them belonged to Nick’s family. I didn’t want to just go and knock on the door, so I decided to wait until someone came outside and asked me if I was okay.

After 30 minutes of waiting, a white BMW pulled up and parked on the side of the road in front of the Santino house. I focused my attention on the pair that got out of that white car.

First, there was a tall blond girl who stepped out of the passenger seat. The girl was stunning. Her long legs were exposed due to the shortness of her shorts. Her gray cardigan fit perfectly and went well with her light yellow tank top. She gave me a slight smile before heading up the walkway, not even waiting for the person in the driver’s side. Five minutes passed, the driver’s side door still had not opened. I could see a figure behind the plexi-glass windshield. I knew there was someone in there.

Finally, the door opened, slowly but surely.
A boy stepped out. He wore black Ray Bans, skinny jeans and a stripped tank top. His arms were covered in tattoos and his red hair stuck up all over the place.

“Miriam?” I saw his lips moving but the voice I heard could not belong to this guy.
This guy who had a girlfriend, red hair and tattoos was definitely not Nick Santino.

I simply stared at him.
He stayed behind his open car door for another minute before giving it a slam.
He made his way towards me, “Miri?”
It had to be Nick Santino.
I nodded slowly.

“What the hell are you doing here?” He sounded angry.
His anger took me aback, “I came to…” I didn’t know how to answer.
“To what? You’ve only been gone for what? Four years now? You didn’t even bother telling me.” Nick huffed.
“Nick,” I began, but he spoke before I could.
“No, Miri. What makes you think you can just show up and be cool with me? You broke me, Miri! I came back here the next summer, you know that?” He raised his eyebrows at me, “The next summer, I came back. You house looked empty. I was so confused so I just went right in. Your house felt cold. I went up to your room and there was nothing there but a broken stereo with my CD in it.”

I opened my mouth to speak once more but again, Nick beat me to it, “Can you just explain this to me?”
I yelled, “I’ve been trying to for the last five minutes!”
Nick’s mouth sealed shut and he nodded for me to continue.

I sighed, “My parents split up during the school year that year. My mom didn’t want to be in Ohio anymore, since the only reason she was there and not in Arizona was because of my dad. She decided for us that we were going to move in with my aunt and her son, my cousin,” I paused, looking up at Nick who was looking down at me attentively, his sunglasses no longer present on his face, “I fought it so much. I didn’t want to leave. The day we left I wouldn’t turn off my stereo or leave my room and she came in, apparently breaking my stereo by turning it off and pulling me out of the house. I didn’t have a choice, Nick. And how do you expect me to tell you all of that without coming back, which I wasn’t able to do.”

His gaze had shifted to his feet, “Are you okay, Nick?”
He looked back up at me, “I’m f-fine.”
He was lying, but I let it slide.

“I didn’t stop thinking about you when you left, Nick. Your music is probably the only thing I listen to on my iPod. However, I never considered coming back to Ohio until my friend, John showed me a message from you saying you were here right now…” My voice trailed off and I put my head in my hands so Nick wouldn’t see the tears that were about to fall.
“You know John O’Callaghan?” He was surprised.
I nodded, “He’s my best friend next to my cousin and John Gomez.”

I heard Nick’s heavy breathing come closer and soon enough I heard it near my face.
I peeked through my fingers to see Nick’s face, now at my eye level. He was crouched down next to me.
His fingers pried mine away from my face, “You have such a pretty face, don’t waste it with all of those tears.”
I sighed, “You have such a handsome face, Nick, don’t waste it on that skank.”
I was obviously referring to the girl who had gotten out of Nick’s car prior.

His hand left my face, and his mouth formed an ‘O’ shape, “Are you talking about my Gracie?”
I scoffed. “Your Gracie.”
“Gracie and I have been together for two months now.”
“Wow, It’s a record!” I laughed bitterly.
Nick narrowed his eyes at me, “What’s wrong with you?”

I don’t know, Nick, maybe I could possible have loved you…

“Nothing,” I shook my head, “I obviously shouldn’t have come back. Have fun with that slut, Gracie.”
I saw Nick’s fists clench before I stood up, turning to walk towards a bus stop that would take me back to the airport.

“Miri, wait!”
♠ ♠ ♠
1 Subscriber! YAY! I love you :3
No really though. Comment please? I mean I have 10 readers so far & not one of you could have left me a little comment? D:

If you are reading this, I love you.

BY THE WAY;
Gracie Bowers