Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 20.

I woke up in my bed next to John. The sunlight poured in on our naked, blanketed figures. I checked the clock; 4:08 pm. The day was still young, yet we had managed to have sex and take a nap.

I turned my body to face John. I studied his face, the way the sunlight made his tan skin look almost pale. His hair and eyebrows glittered in the light, as well as the stubble forming on his chin. It took me everything I had to not lean over and kiss him.

He stirred slightly before reaching his arms over his head and stretching. I closed my eyes tightly and shifted my body away from him. I felt him sit up and then his body weight was released from the bed. I could tell that I was alone on the surface. I heard soft footsteps on my carpet and I heard rummaging for about five minutes, a few clicks and then the door was closed. I waited a few minutes until I was sure that John had left. I sat up and looked around. John was nowhere in sight and neither were his belongings. That bitch left me.


Sloppily, I strolled down the hallway just in time to hear the voice of John O’Callaghan calling out a ‘goodbye’ to my cousin who resided in the kitchen.
To my surprise, Josh was standing, his back against the counter, facing me.

He wiggled his eyebrows at me, “Hey baby cuz.”
I rolled my eyes, “Shove it, Josh.”
“What?” He whined.
I stuck my hands on my hips and gave him a look, “John’s a fucking dick.”
Josh scoffed, “Seriously?”
I nodded, turning away from him to search through the fridge, “You saw what he just did.”
“No,” Josh sounded confused.
“He just left me like a one night stand except it’s not night…” I sighed, closing the fridge and sliding down the surface, seating myself on the floor and pulling my knees into my chest.
Josh raised an eyebrow, “I’m pretty sure that’s not what happened. I asked him—“
I cut him off, “What did you ask him?”
Josh shrugged, blushing lightly, “I asked him if he enjoyed fucking my little cousin,” I flinched at his choice of words, “and he just laughed and said he forgot he had to go to some family thing at three, I don’t know.”
I shrugged, “He didn’t say goodbye or anything, he just left.”
“Are you sure?” Josh asked.
“What are you suggesting?”
He just smiled before leaving the room. A minute or two later he was back.
“This,” He grinned, holding up a folded, blue piece of paper.
I jumped up excitedly and snatched the paper out of his hands.
“I’ll be back,” I smiled to myself, heading towards the couch in the living room.
“Go get ‘em, tiger,” Josh winked, smacking my ass on my way out.

I sat on the couch, afraid to read the note, yet the suspense was killing me. Was it just a simple ‘see you later’?

Miri,
You’re beautiful, baby girl. Today was amazing and again, I am 100000x sorry about what I said. I hope today made up for it. I know you’re really into Nick but maybe you can call me later and we can go on a real date? We haven’t done that in a while. I mean, you don’t have to but I’d really appreciate it if you did.
I love you always,

J.C.O. V

I smiled as I read along, however one part in particular kept my attention. Over and over, I read, “I know you’re really into Nick…” what was that supposed to mean?


“I’m glad that you decided to call me,” said the boy sitting across from me.
We were seated in a random diner, munching on salads and French Fries.
I smiled at him and nodded, staring into his blue-green eyes, “Me too.”
I was, honestly, but I had different intentions than he.
“John,” I said slightly painfully.
He became concerned, placing his hand over mine, “What’s wrong, Miri?”
“I need to be honest with you,” I looked away from him, withdrawing my hand as well.
His eyebrows furrowed, “What is it?”
I shrugged, “I just…I want to know about something in the note you wrote.”
He tensed up, “Yeah?”
“What did you mean when you said I was really into Nick?” I choked out.
He let out the breath he was holding in and chuckled lightly, “That’s it?”
I looked back at him, “Yeah…”
He smiled, “Don’t worry, I’m not offended that out of everything in that note, the one thing burning in your mind involved Nick.”
I blushed, knowing he didn’t mind, “Sorry.”
He shook his head, “Don’t be. We’re over, I understand that.”
I sighed, “But what did you mean?”
“You’re oblivious to your own feelings, Miri,” John laughed at me softly, “Too oblivious.”
I scoffed, “Never.”
“You love Nick, Miri, can’t you just admit it?” John raised an eyebrow, lifting a glass of water to his lips
I shook my head, “I love him, okay? But I just feel like he doesn’t love me in the same way.”
John nearly choked on his water, “Seriously?”
I nodded slowly.
He put down his glass and swallowed before speaking again, “You’re worse than I though.”
“What?”
“Come with me,” He sighed, pulling out his wallet, leaving a stack of money on the table and grabbing my hand to help me out of the booth.

“Where are we going?” I asked once we were outside the small diner.
John didn’t answer, he just continued down the sidewalk with me in tow.
He brought me to his white pickup and opened the door for me, closing it behind and then walking around to the driver’s side to get in and start the engine.
“John,” I put my hand on his arm, finally catching his gaze, “Where are we going?”
Again, no response; instead, he smiled deviously as he pulled his truck out of the parking lot.

After about five minutes of driving I knew where we were headed in the dark. My thoughts were confirmed as soon as the numbers showed up on the side of the empty parking garage. I noted the presence of about four other cars and I could smell the smoke and booze. What the hell did he bring me here for?

All of the guys there, sitting in a circle, had a lady friend with them. Halvo was with some blond chick, Pat was with Lauren, Kennedy was with Gabi, Jared was with Tess, Garrett was with Rachael, Stephen was with Ashley and so on.
As John and I approached the group that was waving us over, I grabbed John’s arm and pulled him closer so I could ask, “Why are we here?”
He smiled that same devious smile again and then shrugged, looking back up at the group.

Halvo pulled over a chair for us and we sat between him and Garrett.
“Miri, right?” Rachael asked me, smiling brightly, peeking over Garrett’s body.
I had heard so much about all of these girls but never had I once met them. I may have met Rachael twice at a party, but I usually kept to myself.
I nodded, smiling as best I could before surveying the rest of the group. Everyone was so cute and couple-y and it almost made me sick. Then I thought about how bad I wanted this; this was what I wanted with Nick but he didn’t even bother asking me the all-important question. John caught my eye and I sighed, why couldn’t Nick be here?

Then it hit me; why John dragged me out here and tortured me with these cutesy couples. He wasn’t trying to torture me at all.
I stood up automatically and looked down at John, “I get it.”
His smile was smug and triumphant at the same time, “Want me to take you somewhere?”
I blushed, “I don’t want you to have to leave everyone.”
“I’ll take you,” Rachael said, standing up and raising her hand.
I looked at her, “Rachael, stay with Garrett.”
She shook her head, “From what I remember, I like you,” She came over and wrapped our arms together, “Come on, girl!”
I smiled at her attempt to reach out to me, “Alright.”
I turned to give John a ‘goodbye’ nod and then I turned back to focus on the car she was bringing me towards.

“Where to?” She asked, once seated and after turning on the ignition.
I shrugged, “I have to find Nick.”
She grinned, “You got it, girl.”


We drove for nearly an hour before pulling up to Halvo’s where I noticed a white BMW parked outside.
“Want me to go with you?” She asked as she put the car in park.
I shook my head, “Just go back to 8123.”
She smiled brightly at me, “You’re a sweetheart,” and then she leaned over to hug me and peck my cheek quickly.

I waved to her as she drove off.
Now I was alone. I turned to face the house in front of me, the house was welcoming yet intimidating. I was getting cold feet. Did I really want to face Nick?
I had been such a stupid whore ever since I chose Chris. Nick deserved so much better than silly old me, yet apparently I was all he wanted. I couldn’t comprehend this at all. I didn’t comprehend the situation all the way up the porch steps and to the door.

I knew why John had done that. He was trying to get me to admit that I needed Nick by placing me in a position where everyone had someone and I had no one. As soon as Nick popped into my mind I knew I was being dumb. After I did all of this shit, Nick stood by me. This was the only thing that kept me fueled up as I knocked on that door and waited for it to be answered.

When he came to the door, I nearly forgot my purpose.

“Hi,” He smiled awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck to signify his uncomfortable state.
I opened my mouth to speak but closed it quickly.
“Want to come in?” He asked, opening the screen door ajar.
I shrugged, taking the screen door from his grasp and opening it further, enough for me to fit through.
This was awkward however, because it all happened so fast that Nick didn’t have time to move. I looked up to find my face inches away from his. He coughed and I stepped aside from him, distancing us steadily.

“Nick, I don’t want this to be awkward,” I said, my voice barely above a whisper as I stared down at my feet.
I heard him sigh. I felt his soft finger touch my chin, “You have such a pretty face,” I looked up to see his lips curl into a gentle smile, “I don’t think you should go wasting it on the ground.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so unbelievably disappointed with this chapter. I rushed to write it and I hate the way I wrote it so I didn't check it, I pretty much just posted it...Idk how many chapters are left... maybe one or two??

Subtitle: Places Less Traveled - Brighten

But I love: lies; unanswered, Ultraviolet Light, A_Girl_Called_Kill14
AKA THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO COMMENTED. WHAT IS THIS?!?! I usually have more than that. I mean, It's cool if you didn't like it, but come onnn! The one time I asked for a certain amount of comments I get less than usual? Just my luck ;) LIFE'S GOOD.