Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 2.

Nick told his parents – and Gracie – that he “ran into an old friend” and was going to get some coffee really quickly.

Now, here we were, three hours later, still sitting in the front window of that Starbucks, talking and laughing. From the moment we set foot in the store, our attitudes changed. We were no longer hostile, just calm and even sweet. I loved every second of it.

“Y’know, I thought I would never see you again,” Nick told me out of nowhere.
I frowned, “I really am sorry, Nick. If there was anything I could have done about it, I would have.”
He sighed, nodding, “Did you know that Gracie is the only girl I’ve dated for more than a week after our two month thing,” He gestured between us, “I didn’t date many, but when I did, I found it hard because I kept thinking of you and I still do with Gracie. I don’t even know.”
“Were we really in a relationship though?” I asked, causing Nick’s emotion to flicker to confusion, “I mean, I know what happened before you left…but we weren’t exactly ‘together’, you know?”
He nodded once, “I wish I had asked you to be my girl friend.”

Well it’s never too late…

“I’ve never been able to get you out of my mind either and it hurt me to think about you because I didn’t think I’d ever see you again, either. I ended up hooking up with my best friend a lot and it helped for the time being, but you were still there, lingering in the back of my mind,” I told him.
A smile was plastered on his lips, “I think this was good.”
I raised my eyebrow at him before taking a sip of my 3rd hot chocolate.
“Talking like this, I really needed it. Gracie’s great but I can’t talk to anyone like I can talk to you. Is that weird? It makes me feel like I’m cheating,” Nick blushed.
I smiled slyly, “No, It’s not weird,” It means you should be with me.

I wanted to tell him right then and there to break up with Gracie, that I think I love him. Anything. But he wouldn’t hear of it.

“You know I flew all this way from AZ just to see you here? I never thought I’d do that for anyone,” I tried to hint the fact that I cared about him so much.
He sighed, nodding, “I would have come to you, had I known you were in Arizona.”

“Were you going to bring Gracie?” I asked, kind of harshly, I might add.
Again, Nick looked confused, “No, I don’t think so.”
“Oh, so you’re just going to spend weeks to months without her when you come down?” I was interrogating him now, it seemed.
He shook his head, “I though about breaking up with her, but…I don’t know.”

Break up, break up, break up!

I nodded in understanding, “Whatever you think is right…” I was hoping he got the hint in the look I gave him before sipping some more hot chocolate.
He sighed, “It just depends…”
“On?” I asked, willing for him to go on.
“On,” He looked up at me, “How things work out.”
“Hm?”
He didn’t reply, he just smiled before standing up and going to throw out his 4th cup of coffee.

“Are you ready to go?” Nick asked.
I shrugged, “I don’t really have anywhere to stay.”
“Hm,” He thought, “I have a friend around here named Andrew. He lives on the way back to my uncle’s.”
I nodded, agreeing to go meet this Andrew.


“Call me Miri,” I told Andrew for the thousandth time since Nick and I arrived at his house.
However, Nick was gone now and it was just Andrew and I.

Andrew was a sweet, gentleman type and we weren’t having any problems…yet.
“I’m sorry, Miri, I just think the name Miriam is so pretty!” Andrew smiled.

We were seated on his couch, pretty close together, touching lightly.

“So you haven’t seen Nick in a while?” Andrew asked, conquering the awkward silence that had fallen over us.
I shook my head, “Not in four years.”
“Damn,” Andrew sighed, “You know he’s trying to form a full, legit band?”
My eyebrows raised, “Really?”
He nodded, “That’s why he’s heading to Arizona, the guys there said they could hook him up and shit.”
“Hm,” I sighed, “John.”

It’s not that I didn’t like John as more than a friend because I definitely did. I mean, how can you not have feelings for someone who not only has the same thoughts and ideas as you but also is a fantastic kisser and every thing else… Please tell me how I cannot like him? He’s a sweet guy, really. He told me I was the first girl he ever did anything with, which is pretty hard for me to believe, but everyone else told me the same thing. John made me feel special and well since Nick was gone…everybody needs somebody sometimes, right?

“Do you like John?” Andrew asked.
I shrugged, “Him and I have a thing. We’re friends with benefits, more or less.”
Andrew understood, “Do you still like Nick?”
I looked at him suddenly, “What?”

He shrugged, “Nick told me about you before this.”
“Oh…well,” I didn’t know if I wanted to tell one of Nick’s best friends about my feelings towards him yet.

“I’m not going to talk to him about this, you know,” Andrew assured me, placing a hand on my arm.
I was shocked by his touch, “Uh well…” How do I start this? “I do. I do like Nick still. I’ve tried to push him out of my mind with John and it worked for a while, but when John mentioned A Rocket to the Moon the other day, I freaked out and came here, since this is where he said he was.”
Andrew nodded, “But there’s Gracie.”
My fists clenched, “Fuck that bitch.”
Andrew let out a laugh, “She’s the least bitchiest person I’ve ever met, to be honest.”
I shrugged, still clenching my fists tight, “I don’t give a rat’s ass, and she’s with Nick.”
“Still, there’s a reason. I mean, he wouldn’t just go and try to date ANYONE to keep his mind off of you. He needed to find someone who would legitimately preoccupy him and Gracie is doing just that.”

I felt my eyes getting wet. I didn’t want to cry in front of some guy that I barely knew, but it was too late. Tears formed and dripped down my face.
“I’m s-sorry,” I mumbled through sobs, “its just…Nick. He, he called her HIS Gracie.”
My face fell into my own hands. Soon, I felt Andrew embracing me, my face in his chest.

“It’s okay, Miri, it will be okay.”

After that, Andrew and I stayed on the couch for a while, I kept crying and he just listened to me, comforting me. Then, I decided I was going to go back to Arizona.
I hopped onto Andrew’s laptop and bought myself a ticket for the first flight home tomorrow. I didn’t want to have Nick all over my dick tomorrow, so I decided a 7AM flight was best.


“Are you sure about this, Miri?” Andrew asked through a yawn and he pulled up to the drop off at the airport.
“As sure as I’ll ever be,” I replied.
I was still uncertain about leaving Nick and even sad about leaving my new friend Andrew. However, I will be seeing Nick in August...

“I’ll see you around?” I asked Andrew, standing outside of his open window after getting my bag out of the trunk.
He nodded, “Definitely.”
I gave him a half hug through his open window but he stopped it.
“Hold on,” He said, unbuckling himself and rolling up his window.
He opened the door and got out of his car, embracing me in a hug so big, I nearly fell over.
“I barely know you, Miri, yet I know so much. I’ll miss you,” Andrew said into the crook of my neck as our hug continued.
“You too, Andrew, you too.”


I’m sitting on this damn plane on what is possibly the longest plane ride of my life. By now, Nick is probably calling Andrew to see how our night went and wondering if I wanted to meet him to get coffee again or something.

Also, in a different part of the country, the part I was headed to, there were kids who probably haven’t gone to bed yet, these kids who have been worried sick about me and I was about to relieve them of their anxiety.

I honestly couldn’t wait to get back to Arizona, for the first time in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okayyy more comments?
I love the two who DID comment out of all the 25 people who read/6 who subscribed.

<3