Status: Finished. Thanks everybody!

Knock You Off Your Feet

15

I listened closely as the announcer spoke to the crowd in French before saying, “Representing Canada, Casey Burgess!”

Complete bedlam broke out as I stepped up onto the podium, waving to everybody. I gave a cheesy smile and a thumbs-up to the cameraman and waited as my medal, and another bouquet, was brought over on a platter. I bowed my head as the old man hung the medal around my neck, shaking his hand as he gave me the bouquet. I waved the flowers around in the air, pumping my fist with the medal in it.

There was so much cheering as the announcer said that the national anthem was about to be played that I could barely hear it. But when the music started up, a gigantic sing-along broke out.

“O Canada, our home and native land, true patriot love at all thy sons’ command. With glowing hearts we see thee rise, the true north proud and free.” At this point I was wiping tears from my eyes as I listened to the crowd, so hungry for a medal, united as one voice. “From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. God, keep our land, glorious and free, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!” The last note hung in the air as more cheers erupted and I wiped new tears away. I waved the medal around a few more times and stepped off the podium, going down to meet my parents and Shaun.

My mother, not surprisingly, was crying again, and my dad’s eyes were glistening. “We’re so proud of you, Case,” he choked out, grabbing me in a one-armed hug. “You did it!”

“Thanks Dad,” I said, trying to keep the waterworks in check. I looked over to my right to see Shaun standing there, awkwardly on the edge of the family moment. His hands were stuffed in the pockets of his nice black dress pants, his powder blue button-up shirt looking nice with the loose black tie. “Oh, guys, this is Shaun White. Him and I have kinda bonded here, and I invited him to dinner.” I grabbed his arm and pulled him over. “Shaun, this is my dad Marty and my mom Sharon.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Shaun.” My father shook Shaun’s hand and smiled.

“Very nice to meet you, too, sir.”

I laughed at his formality. “Spaz, he’s my dad. He’s a friggin’ teddy bear.” I gave my father an affectionate squeeze around his pudgy stomach to prove my point. “No need to be so proper.”

“Just don’t call me ‘dude’,” my father cautioned with a hearty laugh.

“It’s a deal…Marty?” Shaun said in a question-like manner, making sure he was okay.

“Okay then. Now, where are we going to dinner, Moose?”

“I was hoping you guys had an idea.” I shrugged and looked for a familiar face, finally seeing Alexandre, who was also taking home gold tonight. “Alex!” I shouted, getting his attention.

“Moose!” He ran over and gave me a big hug. “Congratulations!”

“Same to you!” I halted our celebration quickly, though, seeing the glare I was getting from Shaun. “So, where’re you headed for dinner tonight? Anyplace you can suggest?”

“Oh, there is a really nice restaurant, not super-formal, but formal, about a mile and a half from here. It’s called… oh, let me think… Les Saisons Quatre? Yeah, that’s it. It has very good food – I went out last night with my brother.” He smiled. “Well, I’ve got to go get my medal now, enjoy your dinner! Congrats again!”

“Same to you, Alexandre!” I turned around and smiled at my family. “Sound good?”

“Right now, anything sounds good,” my father said jokingly, patting his stomach. “Come on, guys.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update only because I won't be on tomorrow.
Enjoy, comment, and all that.
Thank you to all of my frequent commenters. You make my writing worthwhile. :)