Status: Finished. Thanks everybody!

Knock You Off Your Feet

18

I held my bottle of Coca-Cola in one hand and shielded my eyes from the bright lights with the other. I was waiting for Shaun to come back from the bathroom, and already, a couple of guys – all drunk – had asked me to dance with them. I politely refused, of course, but now I was getting skittish. There were people everywhere, and it seemed everyone was taking pictures. I glanced over to see Scotty doing something questionable with his bronze, and I shuddered. So wrong, I thought. So very, very wrong.

I felt the familiar arm snake around my waist and I smiled. “Let’s go… somewhere else,” Shaun suggested, and I looked up at him.

“And where, exactly, would that be?”

“The sky’s clear and it’s actually relatively nice out right now. We could go sit on the hill out back.”

I nodded. “That sounds nice.”

Once we got out there, we realized that the ground was really cold and that someone had to sacrifice their sweatshirt. I laid out mine, much to Shaun’s dismay, and we sat, his arms around me to keep me warm.

“So pretty,” I said, pointing at the stars.

“Yeah, they really are.”

There was a pause for a few moments; it wasn’t awkward.

“So, Casey.”

“So, Shaun.”

“I’m thinking of upgrading you.”

“Upgrading me?”

“Yeah. Your nickname. I know you don’t like Super Squirrel, so I was thinking of calling you Moose like everyone else.”

I frowned. “Why?”

“Don’t you want that?”

“I don’t exactly like the name, but I don’t want you to suddenly go be like everyone else.”

“Mind if I ask why?”

“Cos, Shaun. You’re the only one I allow to call me that. And I love that it’s that way. It makes our friendship – our relationship – special. You’re my Spaz. And I don’t want you to become just another person or try and fit in. I want my crazy Tomato.”

“How about I change it? To another trick?” he suggested. “That way, it’ll still be just me that calls you that.”

“As long as I don’t end up sounding like something you’d order at McDonald’s, then I’m cool with it.” I chuckled a bit, watching as the puffs from my breath floated away.

“So that eliminates McEgg, huh?”

“Oh, yes.”

We sat in silence, trying to think up other names. I was running through a list of the tricks I knew in my mind, not finding anything that fit.

“Burr,” he said. “That’s an option.”

“That’s not a trick, though.”

“But it’s part of your last name.”

“Meh. I don’t know.”

We continued our quiet brainstorming and his arms kept pulling me closer. Eventually, I turned to face him to see what was up.

“Casey, about that kiss… That wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment thing, was it?”

“Why? I thought we were letting that go?”

“Because.” And with that, he pressed his lips to mine.

Instead of registering shock, my body simply reacted, closing my eyes and pressing in, reciprocating the kiss. Our lips moved together as we sat on the hill, surrounded by calm air and bright stars. We pulled apart, smiling and catching our breath, after what seemed like hours.

“You… that was… You’re…”

“Yeah, I like you too, Casey. A lot.” He rested his forehead against mine. “I spent the last few days deliberating whether I did… I was really confused. You were on another team. You said you didn’t get ‘involved’ with people. You kissing me made it even harder, because my rational side said that it was purely an upsurge of emotions, but my heart said it was real. And being out here with you, clearing my head, winning the gold… I see that I do like you, Case. And I wanna be with you.” He kissed me softly, tenderly. “And I feel like you want that, too.”

I nodded, incredulous. I was waiting for someone to pinch me. “And you really mean this?” I asked quietly, afraid of the answer.

“How many ways can I say yes?” He kissed me again, harder. This kiss was passionate and perfect. “Does that answer your question?”

“Um… I’m not sure. Try again,” I said, a mischievous smile appearing.

“Don’t tempt me, Burgess. I’ve got all night.” Something in his eyes made me hungry for more.

“Bring it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah.
Not gonna say much, just lemme know what you think.
Can we get enough people to comment to get to 10 comment pages? With each person only commenting once?
Hope you loved it as much as I did. :)