Status: Completed

You're Not in This Alone.

Chapter 1

High school. It's not as great as everyone says. Maybe the preps and the jocks think it, but not the so-called outsiders, the punks and the goths. I thought changing high schools would be the same as when I changed back in third grade. You say bye to your friends, and that's all. They're forgotten in a week. I was wrong.

First off, let's get to know me. Lisa's the name. Sixteen years old, Sophomore year was coming to a close for me. I'm short, 5'4" perhaps. My dark brown eyes always heavily lined in black, and behind my black-rimmed "emo" glasses. My burgundy colored hair fell a little past my shoulders, and was usually straight, unless I felt lazy. I always wore blue jeans and band t-shirts, or hoodies. I'm a really shy person, usually kept to myself.

Sophomore year, I treated it like Senior year. Why? Because I was moving, far away. My mom, out of nowhere, decided we should leave Chicago, and move to a different state. The last day of school. Everyone was happy, except my friends and I. I was leaving the next day, so they couldn't throw me a party. Ninth hour study hall: the only class I have with all my friends. We talked about the past, took pictures, and were in a huge group hug. I was crying the most. When the bell rang, I walked out, ditching tenth hour.

My mom woke me up the next morning, telling me to get my stuff together for the flight. I was flying out there, and my mom was driving. The last time she went out to look at the house, she met the neighbors, and arranged to have me stay with them for one night. She said it would be better than me being cooped up in a car for a day.

The ride to the airport was silent. I stared out the window, silently saying goodbye to the home I'd never see again.

"So, call my cell when you get to their house, or when your flight lands, Ok?" my mom asked.

"Yeah, I will," I said, giving her a hug.

"See you tomorrow. I should get there in the morning," she said.

"Ok, love you," I said.

"Love you too."

Plane ride: boredom. Yes, very boring. When I got there, I wandered. I didn't have
any luggage with me. Eventually, I saw an older couple holding a sign with my name on it.

"Hi, I believe that's my name written there," I said, sounding like a dumbass.

"Well, you look like the girl from the picture. I'm Donna, and this is Don. You can call us by our names, or Mr. or Mrs. Way. Whatever suits you. Welcome to New Jersey."

"Thanks," I said, following them.

"So, are you in school?" Donna asked.

"Yeah, I'll be a junior next year," I said. "I'm sixteen."

"One of our boys just turned seventeen, he'll be a senior, and the other one is fourteen. He'll be a freshman. You probably won't meet them today, because they're with other friends and such," Don said.

I acknowledged him before going to stare out the window. This was my new home. I'd have to get used to it. Don pulled into the driveway of their house, showing me the house I'd be living in. It wasn't too bad.

"It's a nice neighborhood," I said.

"It looks nice, but you have to be careful. A lot of bad things happen," Donna said as I followed her into their house. "The boys must be home," she said, indicating the loud thud we heard from upstairs.

"Hi, mom. Hi, dad. Bye, mom. Bye, dad," a boy said, running past us really fast.

"I told Gerard not to get him addicted to coffee. That flash right there was Mikey, the youngest one," Don said. "He's not always this hyper."

"Gerard, why are you trying to sneak out. come and meet one of your new neighbors," Donna said from the foyer.

"I...uhh...Mikey and I...I can't right now," a voice replied.

"She's close to your age."

"I'd love to, but Frank's got this thing. Bye." A door slammed.

"He must be in a hurry," Donna said, rejoining us. "Are you hungry dear?"

"Actually, yes," I said.

"Ok, we'll show you to your room, and how about we order pizza? Or do you want pizza for dinner? Yeah, I'll make sandwiches now and we'll get pizza for dinner."

I approved, then I followed them upstairs. I dropped off my bag in the guest room. They left me to get settled. I went to the bathroom, and on my way back, I looked in a half-open bedroom door. I poked my head in and admired the artistic features of the room. Black carpet, dark red walls, dark wooden furniture. A single ray of sunlight beamed in the window. Drawings and toys were scattered about. The drawings were amazing. I was so lost in them, that I didn't realize I was being watched.