Escape From This

The Fall

If Lottie was brutally honest with herself, the next couple of hours were quite a blur. Vodka. Bitter shots. Rolling a spliff and then handing it to Marcus to roll it properly. Vodka.

But the crucial part had been the pill. Mel, Marcus, Hannah and Eleanor had taken MCat and were jumping about to a fast paced Spanish band which was the only CD Russell Keats had at the house. Lottie, intoxicated, thoroughly defeated, chose to join them. Russell had endorsed it by giving her one of his own. The night sped up like a fast forwarded VHS tape. It seemed like a moment had passed between Russell had lightly pressed the petite capsule into her fingers to outside in the garden.

Lottie stood still, a solitary figure in the Spanish evening, more sorry for herself than anyone had been before in the history of failed romance. Tonight was supposed to be the night.

She had even been considering forgoing the wait and getting it on with Russell tonight. But none of what she’d planned or impulsively chosen had gone right. Russell was currently inside with his arm around Eleanor discussing something that Lottie hadn’t overheard, despite her efforts, whilst she was banished to the lonely garden, her head in one hand, trying to sound devastated as she wept.

Then, somehow, her wailing caused her to lose an earring as she’d swept her hair out of her mouth, and it had rolled into the flower bed.

Lottie sighed though her moans and went after it, her knees scraping slightly on the dusty ground. She could see the earring which had gone further in than she had expected and reached out to get it. As she did so, her other hand slipped across a rock and Lottie was plunged head first into the patch of flowers. Her face went straight through them and her skin touched mud. And carried on.

The sensation was that of falling into a pool of water when you’d had no idea it was there, only the mud was sticky and as her heels followed her down, Lottie felt the mud get into between her toes. She flailed her arms around but continued to fall. An unwise yet instinctive scream was attempted but the result was a mouth of mud.

Then, just as suddenly as the mud had clamboured all over her, it disappeared and Lottie felt metal sliding underneath her as she slipped down. Not even a second went past though before her hands came into contact with a solid surface. Lottie went head over heels, finally coming to an abrupt halt.

Breathing fast, trying to realise what had happened, Lottie opened her eyes. What she found all around her did nothing to ease her anxiety.

There was a small group of people standing around her of about her own age, three boys and two girls. One of them – a girl with a lot of curly red hair – was standing closer, as though waiting for something to happen. As Lottie met her eyes though, a terrible look spread across her face.

“NO!”

The girl suddenly sprung forward, her right arm raised in the air, going to attack Lottie. However the other girl and the tallest boy were quick to intervene, holding the redhead back who had begun to scream horribly.

“THIS ISN’T HAPPENING! RANDY, THIS ISN’T HAPPENING!” The redhead had the other girl – Randy – by the shoulders and violently shook her. “We’ve waited – we can keep waiting!”

“Scarlett - ”

“I’LL WAIT ANOTHER YEAR IF THAT’S WHAT IT TAKES!” shrieked Scarlett. Her tone was frightening Lottie now. “I don’t care how long I have to wait!”

Randy looked helplessly at the rest of the group. The three boys did not look much better than she did.

An Asian looking boy with glasses was shaking whilst the shortest boy with long, silly hair stuffed under a hat had dropped to the floor and was holding his head in his hands. The tallest of the boys went to Scarlett then and told her they had to leave.

Scarlett looked at him as though he were mad. “I won’t do it. Frank, I can’t.”

Frank bowed his head for a second before he repeated himself.

Scarlett pushed him away and then rounded on Lottie again. “Who the hell are you? What are you doing here?” while the Asian boy murmured, “Leave her out, Scarlett.”

“Didn’t you hear what I said? I’m talking to you, you slut!” Lottie quickly got to her feet as Scarlett closed in on her. “Who the hell are you?”

“I’m Lottie – please, don’t hurt me...”

“Why are you here?” demanded Scarlett. “How did you get here?”

“I fell...I’m sorry if this is your patch. But...but I don’t really know how I got here...”

Scarlett’s face was only a matter of inches from Lottie’s by now. “Do you,” said Scarlett, very slowly, “have the first idea of how much you have just mess up my ENTIRE life?” Lottie whimpered in response. “Do you know what we do to people who fuck things up for us...?”

Lottie began to panic. “I’m so sorry...I didn’t mean to! Please, just let me go! I just want to go home! I’ll go now.”

Scarlett’s eyes darkened. “I’ll gladly send you there myself right now!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Scarlett Smirk means business....

Thanks for reading. The story is this exciting from now on. If you want to have an idea what the different people look like, just click on the characters tab at the top. Let me know if you like what you see ; )