One Shot

The Two-page twoshot from hell

Karolina didn't know why she was there. She didn't know why she clutched her ticket and stood outside in the cold like the short letter had told her to.
"Meet me by the ambulance entrance if we win." They hadn't won. Earlier in the day she accepted her ice-level ticket and never once made eye contact with the man who gave it to her. Karolina didn't know why she dealt with the cold gusts of wind that cut straight through her flimsy red Kane jersey and waited for Marian Hossa even though they lost by one. Antti Niemi had an almost perfect game, only marred by the lack of defense the team gave him.

"I didn't think you'd be here." his voice was almost so quiet she didn't hear his confession. Karolina turned and her eyes were forced to look up to meet his blue ones.
"Well I am. Why didn't you think so?" Karolina was surprised when she didn't instantly insult him. The hate she usually felt for the man was not present as she looked at his hopeful face.
"We lost. It was a bad game for me." He was still quiet and looked as if he was taking all of her in. Karolina's left foot came up and rubbed the back of her right calf. "Well."

"Still don't like me?" Marian's eyes dropped from her still face and landed on the sports bag in his hand that she had just now noticed that he carried.
"I don't know." The street was quickly beginning to empty and no one on the sidewalk spared a glance at the superstar and the young woman he had fallen so hard for.
"Are you willing to let me try? I'm not just a hockey player, you know." Her glare felt hot on his face and he looked back up and met her eyes.
"I know that," Karolina said angrily. "It's the person I don't like."
"You don't know me, Karolina. Can we start over? Please?" His face was pleading and frown lines had set into the skin around his mouth.
"Fine." Karolina felt a pang of surprised happiness when a large friendly smile burst across Marian's face.
"Alright- stay here." He was still smiling as he stepped behind her and walked around.
"Hey, it's pretty cold out here..I'm Marian." He shrugged off his suit blazer and offered it to her by holding it open for her to slip her arms through.

Karolina turned and faced him straight on. "Why didn't you think I'd be here?"
His smile dropped as well as his eyes and his hands and the hem of the jacket brushed the cement. Marian stepped back and leaned against the brick wall.
"Because I know you hate me."
She sighed and stepped forward, reaching her hand up and touching Marian's face lightly.
"I don't..hate you." The words were hard to say and Karolina had honestly no idea what she was doing. Wasn't it just a month ago when she said that she wouldn't care if he fell off a cliff and now she was struggling with her feelings for the man. It was like someone else was writing her life out for her at this moment- but right now, Karolina couldn't find the will to oppose it. Marian trapped her hand gently against his stubble-free jaw.
"Is this starting over?" He asked quietly and she smelled the blue Gatorade he must have had in the locker room. Karolina found herself glancing between his pleading eyes and his slightly parted lips.
Maybe she could really give him a chance.
Karolina rocked on the balls of her feet to press her lips against his and back away before he had the opportunity to close his eyes and relish it.
"Uh huh." She whispered. As Marian's eyes widened, she met his halfway between their two bodies and it was his turn to kiss her. It felt like it held fire and could consume them both within it. She backed him farther up against the wall with her hands on his biceps. The jacket and bag Marian held were forgotten and his hands lost in her long hair.

Maybe he did deserve one shot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh. For Karolina- as always. :D